|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Protect her from the murderer.
(b) Do not blame her for what happened.
(c) What happened is her fault.
(d) She is a good woman.
2. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(b) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
(c) It should help him be a good leader.
(d) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
3. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
(a) Send him to England.
(b) Send him to a hospital.
(c) Have a private talk with him.
(d) Send him back to school.
4. After the ambassadors have left, what piece of writing does Polonius share with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) Hamlet's plan to kill Claudius.
(b) A love letter from Hamlet to Ophelia.
(c) A letter from Hamlet to Fortinbras.
(d) A treaty between Norway and Poland.
5. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
(a) Claudius wants Hamlet to sit nearby, but he prefers Ophelia.
(b) Gertrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(c) Ophelia wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(d) Getrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Ophelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, why is Ophelia frightened?
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
3. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
5. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)