|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it when the play starts?
(a) Late at night.
(b) After dinner.
2. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) The ambassadors to Norway.
(b) Gertrude's nephews.
(c) Servants of the court.
(d) Hamlet's old friends.
3. At the beginning of Act 2, what does Polonius ask Reynaldo to find out?
(a) Find out how his son is doing in school.
(b) Find out if his son is behaving appropriately.
(c) Find out if his son is getting enough to eat.
(d) Find out if his son has a girlfriend.
4. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
(a) By telling the queen that Hamlet is crazy, he may have upset her.
(b) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have saved her from worse treatment.
(c) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have made Hamlet worse.
(d) By telling the king that Hamlet is crazy, he may have gotten himself in trouble.
5. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She has too much power over the country.
(c) She forgot his father too quickly.
(d) She is responsible for his father's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
3. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
4. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
5. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)