|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 2, what does Hamlet reveal about his reasons for wanting the players to perform?
(a) He thinks the play will distract him.
(b) He thinks the players are very talented.
(c) He thinks the play will remind Gertrude of her first husband.
(d) He wants to use the play to test Claudius's conscience.
3. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(b) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
4. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(b) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(c) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(b) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(c) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
2. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
3. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)