|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
(a) They are getting ready to go to sleep.
(b) They are on watch.
(c) They are eating a meal together.
(d) They are fighting in a battle.
2. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's father.
(b) A tortured spirit.
(c) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather.
3. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Polonius and Ophelia.
(b) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(c) Gertrude and Hamlet.
(d) Claudius and Hamlet.
4. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
5. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(b) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(c) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
(d) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
2. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
4. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
5. What time of day is it when the play starts?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)