|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His father hated his mother.
(b) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(c) His mother was devoted to his father.
(d) His mother hated his father.
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(b) His coronation and the war with Norway.
(c) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(d) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
3. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(b) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(c) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(d) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
4. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it is crying.
(b) It looks like it wants to scare people.
(c) It looks like it wants to speak.
(d) It looks like it is in pain.
5. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(b) More sad than angry.
(d) More angry than sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
2. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)