|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(b) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(c) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(d) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
2. What country did the late King go to battle against?
3. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Protect her from the murderer.
(b) Do not blame her for what happened.
(c) She is a good woman.
(d) What happened is her fault.
4. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
5. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it is in pain.
(b) It looks like it is crying.
(c) It looks like it wants to speak.
(d) It looks like it wants to scare people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
3. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
4. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
5. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)