|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
(b) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
(c) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(d) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
2. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is angry and tries to attack it.
(b) He is upset and starts to cry.
(c) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
(d) He is frightened and runs away.
3. What country did the late King go to battle against?
4. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His father hated his mother.
(b) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(c) His mother hated his father.
(d) His mother was devoted to his father.
5. Who is Claudius?
(a) Hamlet's uncle and the new king.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's brother.
(d) The Prince of Norway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
2. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
3. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)