|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She forgot his father too quickly.
(b) She has too much power over the country.
(c) She is grieving too much for his father.
(d) She is responsible for his father's death.
2. Who is Ophelia in love with?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Stay away from him.
(c) Flirt with him.
(d) Spy on him.
4. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the sun comes up.
(b) When the cock crows.
(c) When the trumpets sound.
(d) When Horatio talks to it.
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(b) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(c) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(d) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
2. What does the ghost do to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
4. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
5. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)