|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(b) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
2. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
(a) Only if he is afraid of it.
(b) Not if he carries garlic and a crucifix.
3. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
4. Where is Elsinore in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Who is Claudius?
(a) The Prince of Norway.
(b) Hamlet's uncle and the new king.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Horatio say the ghost might do to Hamlet?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
5. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)