|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To cover for them while they take a break.
(b) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(c) To show him his father's ghost.
(d) To confirm what they have seen.
2. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He died in his sleep.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He was stung by a serpent.
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Get revenge.
(b) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(c) Hire an exorcist.
(d) Help the new king.
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
5. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He does not trust him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He is afraid of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
2. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
3. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
4. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
5. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)