|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(b) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(c) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Help the new king.
(b) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Hire an exorcist.
3. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Be true to yourself.
(b) Do not borrow money.
(c) Do not talk too much.
(d) Do well in school.
4. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Claudius seduced his wife.
(c) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(d) Laertes seduced his wife.
5. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Men shouting and women screaming.
(b) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(c) A cock crowing.
(d) Drunken singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
2. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
3. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
4. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
5. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)