|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(b) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(c) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(d) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(c) Very cold.
(d) Pouring rain.
3. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Good people always have lots of friends.
(c) Do not worry about making friends.
(d) Keep your good friends close to you.
4. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The prince, Hamlet.
(b) The king who just died.
(c) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(d) The Queen.
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
2. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
3. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
4. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)