|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She forgot his father too quickly.
(b) She is grieving too much for his father.
(c) She is responsible for his father's death.
(d) She has too much power over the country.
2. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Stay away from him.
(b) Spy on him.
(c) Flirt with him.
(d) Make friends with him.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(b) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(c) His coronation and the war with Norway.
(d) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
5. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do well in school.
(b) Do not talk too much.
(c) Be true to yourself.
(d) Do not borrow money.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
3. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
4. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
5. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)