|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
(a) Good people rarely have any friends.
(b) Keep your good friends close to you.
(c) Do not worry about making friends.
(d) Good people always have lots of friends.
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To confirm what they have seen.
(b) To show him his father's ghost.
(c) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(d) To cover for them while they take a break.
3. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the cock crows.
(b) When the trumpets sound.
(c) When the sun comes up.
(d) When Horatio talks to it.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
(a) His brother's death and his own marriage to Gertrude.
(b) His brother's wedding and the birth of his nephew.
(c) The war that killed the last king and the upcoming marriage of his nephew.
(d) His coronation and the war with Norway.
5. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(b) More angry than sad.
(d) More sad than angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
3. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
4. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)