|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he returns to school, what does Laertes tell Ophelia about her boyfriend?
(a) Hamlet just wants her to sleep with him.
(b) Horatio just wants her to sleep with him.
(c) Polonius is an abusive boyfriend.
(d) As a prince, Hamlet may not get to choose who he marries.
2. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
3. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not borrow money.
(b) Be true to yourself.
(c) Do well in school.
(d) Do not talk too much.
4. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Claudius and Hamlet.
(b) Polonius and Ophelia.
(c) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
5. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too sad.
(c) He is too angry.
(d) He is too happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
2. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
3. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
4. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)