|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When the cock crows.
(b) When the trumpets sound.
(c) When Horatio talks to it.
(d) When the sun comes up.
2. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She is responsible for his father's death.
(c) She forgot his father too quickly.
(d) She has too much power over the country.
3. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants it to leave him alone.
(b) He does not believe it exists.
(c) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(d) He wants to talk to it.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Spy on him.
(c) Stay away from him.
(d) Flirt with him.
5. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The prince, Hamlet.
(b) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(c) The king who just died.
(d) The Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did the late King go to battle against?
2. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
4. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)