|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His father hated his mother.
(c) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(d) His mother was devoted to his father.
2. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(b) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(c) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(d) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the play?
(a) Very cold.
(d) Pouring rain.
4. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
(a) You give bad advice.
(b) Make sure you follow your own advice.
(c) Stop telling me what to do.
(d) Your advice is very wise.
5. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants it to leave him alone.
(b) He does not believe it exists.
(c) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(d) He wants to talk to it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
2. What time of day is it when the play starts?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
4. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
5. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)