|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
(a) When Horatio talks to it.
(b) When the cock crows.
(c) When the trumpets sound.
(d) When the sun comes up.
2. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His mother hated his father.
(b) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(c) His father hated his mother.
(d) His mother was devoted to his father.
3. Before Hamlet hears about the ghost, how does he feel about Claudius?
(a) He does not trust him.
(b) He loves him.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He is afraid of him.
4. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
(a) Borrowing money is all right, but do not lend money.
(b) Do not borrow money, but lend money if you can.
(c) Do not borrow or lend money.
(d) Borrowing and lending money is a good thing to do.
5. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the play, what are Francisco and Bernardo doing?
2. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who is Horatio?
4. What does Ophelia tell Laertes about his advice on her love life?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)