|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
(a) To cover for them while they take a break.
(b) To tell them the latest gossip about Hamlet.
(c) To confirm what they have seen.
(d) To show him his father's ghost.
2. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
(a) Do not trust his promises of love.
(b) Make sure he does not hurt you.
(c) Ask him to marry you.
(d) Do not go to bed with him.
3. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Polonius and Ophelia.
(b) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(c) Claudius and Hamlet.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
4. After the ghost disappears, what does Bernardo say about the ghost's behavior?
(a) It looks like it wants to speak.
(b) It looks like it is crying.
(c) It looks like it is in pain.
(d) It looks like it wants to scare people.
5. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
(a) Trumpets being blown and ordinance being fired.
(b) A cock crowing.
(c) Men shouting and women screaming.
(d) Drunken singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
2. The ghost appears to Horatio and his companions in Act 1, Scene 1, but something seems to scare it into disappearing. What causes it to disappear?
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what two events does Claudius describe?
5. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)