|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the ghost in Act 1, Scene 1 look like?
(a) The king's advisor, Polonius.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The prince, Hamlet.
(d) The king who just died.
2. Which two characters is Laertes related to?
(a) Claudius and Hamlet.
(b) Polonius and Ophelia.
(c) Gertrude and Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude and Hamlet.
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 1, what does Horatio say he intends to do?
(a) Watch for the ghost on the next night.
(b) Talk to a priest.
(c) Tell Prince Hamlet about the ghost.
(d) Talk to the king.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) To go to a new school.
(b) To live in another country.
(c) Off to war.
(d) Back to college.
5. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(c) More angry than sad.
(d) More sad than angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
2. How many times does the ghost appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, why does Marcellus bring Horatio to talk to Francisco and Bernardo?
5. What time of day is it when the play starts?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)