|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the play is performed, what does Polonius ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Go see the Queen.
(b) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
(c) Go see Ophelia.
(d) Go see Claudius.
2. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured in his ear.
(b) A knife in the back.
(c) Poison poured down his throat.
(d) A heart attack.
3. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(b) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(c) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(d) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
4. Hamlet finally tells Claudius how to find the body of his first victim: "But indeed, if you find him not within this month, you shall nose him as you go up the stairs into the lobby." How is Hamlet saying that they might find the body?
(a) Wait a month till the ground thaws and the grave will be revealed.
(b) Wait a month and you will smell where it is.
(c) Climb the stairs and you will see the body in the lobby.
(d) The body is waiting on the lobby stairs.
5. After Claudius and Polonius watch Hamlet interact with Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius say about Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He is convinced Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
(b) He is convinced that Hamlet needs to see a doctor.
(c) He is suspicious that Hamlet is not really crazy.
(d) He does not think Hamlet is crazy because of love for Ophelia.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first time the audience sees Hamlet after he has killed someone, he says "Safely stowed." What does he mean?
2. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern tell Claudius that Hamlet is excited about in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. The sailors from the pirate ships deliver letters to Elsinore. Who are the letters from?
4. Where does Claudius want the body of Hamlet's first victim to be taken?
5. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)