|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
(b) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
(c) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(d) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
(b) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(c) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(d) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
3. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(d) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
4. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
(a) Yes, Polonius says Hamlet is totally insane.
(b) No, Polonius does not think Hamlet is crazy at all.
(c) Not entirely -- Polonius sees some reason or logic within the craziness.
(d) Yes, but Polonius thinks it is easily cured.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He yelled at her but would not look at her.
(b) He stared at her but did not speak.
(c) He would not look at her and would not speak to her.
(d) He stared at her, then started to yell at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius asks Claudius to arrange for Hamlet to go somewhere after the play's performance. Where is Hamlet supposed to go?
2. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
3. Hamlet sees Ophelia just as he finishes the "To be or not to be" speech. How does he act when he first sees her?
4. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about the look on Hamlet's face?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)