|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he has seen the ghost, how does Hamlet describe his parents' marriage?
(a) His father hated his mother.
(b) His parents barely spoke to each other.
(c) His mother was devoted to his father.
(d) His mother hated his father.
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too angry.
(b) He is too frightened.
(c) He is too sad.
(d) He is too happy.
3. In the letter that the sailors deliver in Act 4, Scene 6, it says: "when thou shalt have overlooked this, give these fellows some means to the king: they have letters for him." What is the writer of the letter asking?
(a) Help the sailors get in to see the dead king's body.
(b) This letter is meant for the king. You should not read it.
(c) Give the sailors a tip for delivering the letters.
(d) Help the sailors get in to see Claudius.
4. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(c) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(d) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
5. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
(b) He is determined to get revenge.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is not crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. After watching Hamlet and Ophelia together in Act 3, Scene 1, what does Claudius decide to do with Hamlet?
2. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Ophelia say about Hamlet's clothes?
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
5. At the end of Act 4, Scene 5, what does Claudius offer to do for Laertes?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)