|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
(a) Make friends with him.
(b) Stay away from him.
(c) Spy on him.
(d) Flirt with him.
2. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(b) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
(c) He feels like he really is going crazy.
(d) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
3. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants to talk to it.
(b) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(c) He wants it to leave him alone.
(d) He does not believe it exists.
4. How does Horatio describe the ghost to Hamlet?
(a) More angry than sad.
(d) More sad than angry.
5. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(c) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(d) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
2. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
4. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
5. When Hamlet first sees the ghost, what does he call it?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)