|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
(b) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(c) Send him to a doctor.
(d) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(b) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(c) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(d) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
3. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
(b) He tells them nothing.
(c) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
(d) He says the ghost is a liar.
4. After telling Ophelia to get to a nunnery, what does Hamlet say about marriage?
(a) Marriage is an old-fashioned institution.
(b) Marriage is better for women than for men.
(c) We shall have no more marriage.
(d) Marriage is the best thing Ophelia can do with her life.
5. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants to talk to it.
(b) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(c) He does not believe it exists.
(d) He wants it to leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
4. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
5. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)