|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing about Hamlet's strange behavior, what does Polonius say about his own decisions?
(a) By telling the king that Hamlet is crazy, he may have gotten himself in trouble.
(b) By telling the queen that Hamlet is crazy, he may have upset her.
(c) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have saved her from worse treatment.
(d) By telling Ophelia to stay away, he may have made Hamlet worse.
2. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(b) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
(c) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(d) Send him to a doctor.
3. Some sailors arrive at Elsinore from a pirate ship in Act 4, Scene 6. Who do they deliver a letter to?
4. When Laertes returns after his father's death, what does he want?
(a) To take over the throne of Denmark.
(b) To talk to Hamlet.
(c) To visit with his sister.
(d) Revenge on the people responsible for his father's death.
5. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
(a) Ophelia wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
(b) Claudius wants Hamlet to sit nearby, but he prefers Ophelia.
(c) Getrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Ophelia.
(d) Gertrude wants Hamlet to sit by her, but he prefers Horatio.
Short Answer Questions
1. The tone of the conversation between Hamlet and Ophelia in Act 3, Scene 1 changes abruptly when Ophelia does what?
2. Does Hamlet think the ghost can harm him?
3. While explaining Hamlet's crime to his courtiers, why does Claudius say he has to be gentle with Hamlet?
4. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
5. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)