|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the audience first sees Claudius, he gives a speech about the current situation in Denmark and then speaks to Hamlet about his behavior. What does Claudius say to Hamlet at this early point in the play?
(a) He is too frightened.
(b) He is too sad.
(c) He is too happy.
(d) He is too angry.
2. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
(a) Kill somebody.
(b) Pretend to be crazy.
(c) Get married.
(d) Leave the country forever.
3. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Claudius seduced his wife.
(b) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(c) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(d) Laertes seduced his wife.
4. What time of day is it in Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) After midnight.
(c) Almost midnight.
(d) Lunch time.
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, where is Laertes going?
(a) Back to college.
(b) Off to war.
(c) To live in another country.
(d) To go to a new school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
2. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
3. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)