|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
2. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Tell the king about the ghost.
(b) Go with the ghost.
(c) Do not go with the ghost.
(d) Send for a priest.
3. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
(a) She is grieving too much for his father.
(b) She forgot his father too quickly.
(c) She has too much power over the country.
(d) She is responsible for his father's death.
4. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He says the ghost is a liar.
(b) He tells them nothing.
(c) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
(d) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
5. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Hamlet and the others wait to see the ghost in Act 1, Scene 4, what do they hear in the distance?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, what does Polonius ask Ophelia to do about Hamlet?
3. What does Polonius ask Reynaldo to give to his son?
4. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
5. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)