|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(b) He wants to talk to it.
(c) He does not believe it exists.
(d) He wants it to leave him alone.
2. When Hamlet and his friends first see the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends tell him to do?
(a) Send for a priest.
(b) Go with the ghost.
(c) Tell the king about the ghost.
(d) Do not go with the ghost.
3. Who is Ophelia in love with?
4. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
5. Early in the play, what country does Claudius send messengers to?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
2. What is Hamlet's mother's name?
3. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
5. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)