|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(b) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
2. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(c) Laertes seduced his wife.
(d) Claudius seduced his wife.
3. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
(a) Ask his son directly.
(b) Ask his son's friends and teachers.
(c) Lie about him if that helps bring out the truth.
(d) Talk to the local police department.
4. What was Ophelia doing when she was frightened by Hamlet in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
(b) He is frightened and runs away.
(c) He is upset and starts to cry.
(d) He is angry and tries to attack it.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
2. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
3. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
4. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
5. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)