|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamlet react when he sees the ghost for the first time?
(a) He is upset and starts to cry.
(b) He is angry and tries to attack it.
(c) He is frightened and runs away.
(d) He is startled, but tries to talk to it.
2. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(b) Hamlet's grandfather.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) A tortured spirit.
3. What is the King doing during Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Drinking and celebrating.
(c) Reading and signing documents.
(d) Shouting and starting a fight.
4. What does Hamlet say when he first hears about the ghost?
(a) He wants to talk to it.
(b) He wants it to leave him alone.
(c) He thinks Horatio is inventing it to distract him.
(d) He does not believe it exists.
5. As they wait for the ghost, Hamlet describes the King's nightly tradition. What does Hamlet think about this tradition?
(a) It is something he should stop doing now that he is King.
(b) It is an old tradition that every king should follow.
(c) It makes the Danes look bad to other countries.
(d) It should help him be a good leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Reynaldo very specific instructions about how to find the information he wants. What are those instructions?
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
3. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
4. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
5. After listening to Ophelia's description of Hamlet, Polonius believes he has found the explanation for Hamlet's behavior. What does he decide to do next?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)