|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(b) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(c) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(d) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
2. Once Hamlet follows the ghost, what do Hamlet's friends decide to do?
(a) Tell the King about Hamlet's strange behavior.
(b) Follow Hamlet and the ghost.
(c) Leave Hamlet alone with the ghost.
(d) Get Hamlet to see a doctor.
3. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(b) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(c) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(d) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Ophelia describe Hamlet's behavior?
(a) He yelled at her but would not look at her.
(b) He stared at her but did not speak.
(c) He would not look at her and would not speak to her.
(d) He stared at her, then started to yell at her.
5. Who is Claudius?
(a) The Prince of Norway.
(b) Hamlet's brother.
(c) Hamlet's uncle and the new king.
(d) Hamlet's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing Ophelia's description of Hamlet, what reason does Polonius suggest for Hamlet's strange behavior?
2. Who is Ophelia?
3. During his first soliloquy, what does Hamlet say about his mother?
4. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
5. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)