|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ophelia in love with?
2. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
(a) Ophelia swearing her loyalty to Hamlet.
(b) Gertrude is speaking about her own claims of love for Claudius.
(c) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her first husband.
(d) The Player Queen swearing her loyalty to her second husband.
3. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
4. In their first conversation together, what important information does Hamlet reveal to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) He feels like he really is going crazy.
(b) He is not crazy -- at least, not all the time.
(c) He tells them that he wants to marry Ophelia.
(d) He tells them about the ghost and his suspicions of Claudius.
5. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A welcoming speech by their sponsor, Prince Hamlet.
(b) An opening scene that shows how much the king and queen love each other.
(c) A prologue, in which they summarize the upcoming play.
(d) A dumbshow, in which they do not speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
2. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
3. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
4. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
5. After Laertes has left in Act 1, Scene 3, Polonius talks to Ophelia about her romance. What does Polonius tell her?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)