|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
2. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do well in school.
(b) Do not borrow money.
(c) Be true to yourself.
(d) Do not talk too much.
3. What message do the ambassadors bring Claudius back from Norway?
(a) Fortinbras will attack Poland, not Denmark.
(b) Fortinbras does not plan to attack any country at all.
(c) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark.
(d) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark and Poland.
4. After the play is performed, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Ask the players to leave Elsinore.
(b) Go see Ophelia.
(c) Go see Claudius.
(d) Go see his mother.
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(d) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
2. What does Hamlet mean when he says "I will speak daggers to her, but use none."
3. What does Polonius tell Laertes about borrowing money?
4. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to do, after learning that Hamlet has committed murder?
5. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)