|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After watching the players give a speech about Hecuba and Priam, what does Hamlet say impresses him the most?
(a) How quickly they can learn new lines in a script.
(b) How much emotion they are able to summon up for a performance.
(c) How intelligent they are.
(d) How confident they are in their performances.
2. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(b) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
(c) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(d) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
3. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He was stabbed.
(b) He was stung by a serpent.
(c) He died in his sleep.
(d) He had a heart attack.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, before Laertes leaves Elsinore, Polonius gives him advice about clothes. What does Polonius say?
(a) Buy the fanciest clothes you can find.
(b) Get costly, but not showy or ostentatious clothes.
(c) Buy the least expensive clothes you can find.
(d) Nobody pays attention to what you wear.
5. Before the play is performed, Hamlet has a long conversation with the First Player. What is he telling the Player?
(a) Hamlet is complaining about how Ophelia is acting.
(b) Hamlet is coaching him on how to perform.
(c) Hamlet is asking him about the life of an actor.
(d) Hamlet is telling him about the king's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
2. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
5. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)