|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamlet mean when he says "I will speak daggers to her, but use none."
(a) He will try to kill Gertrude.
(b) He will insult Ophelia when he sees her again.
(c) He will speak harshly and honestly to Ophelia, but will not hurt her.
(d) He will speak harshly and honestly to Gertrude, but will not hurt her.
2. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(b) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(c) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
(d) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
3. What message do the ambassadors bring Claudius back from Norway?
(a) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark.
(b) Fortinbras wants to take over Denmark and Poland.
(c) Fortinbras will attack Poland, not Denmark.
(d) Fortinbras does not plan to attack any country at all.
4. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Protect her from the murderer.
(b) Do not blame her for what happened.
(c) She is a good woman.
(d) What happened is her fault.
5. What does Hamlet ask Horatio to do during the play's performance?
(a) Watch Gertrude and see if she reacts to the play.
(b) Watch Polonius and see if he reacts to the play.
(c) Watch Claudius and see if he reacts to the play.
(d) Help Hamlet kill Claudius as the play is performed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first part of the players' performance in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. When Claudius finds out Hamlet has killed someone, what is he most worried about?
3. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
4. When Polonius tries to speak with Hamlet, does Polonius really believe Hamlet is crazy?
5. What does Hamlet learn about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern's reasons for visiting Elsinore?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)