|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what happens when Polonius first tries to speak to Hamlet?
(a) Hamlet argues with him.
(b) Hamlet is glad to see him.
(c) Hamlet does not seem to recognize him.
(d) Hamlet ignores him.
2. Hamlet is delighted that the players, a group of traveling actors, are at Elsinore. He welcomes them and asks them for two favors. What are those two favors?
(a) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to add in a speech with new lines.
(b) To perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to let Hamlet play a role in it.
(c) Not to perform "The Murder of Gonzago" and to perform Hamlet's favorite play instead.
(d) To perform both "The Murder of Gonzago" and "Priam and Hecuba" for the court.
3. Ophelia comes to watch the play. Before the play begins, how does Hamlet act towards her?
(a) He flirts with her and makes suggestive remarks.
(b) He is friendly and apologizes for his earlier behavior.
(c) He ignores her and pretends he does not see her.
(d) He yells at her and tries to hit her.
4. Early in Act 2, Polonius believes he has found the cause of Hamlet's behavior. What is the first thing he does to test his theory?
(a) Eavesdrop on him while he prays.
(b) Eavesdrop on him while he talks to Horatio.
(c) Send him to a doctor.
(d) Arrange for him to meet Ophelia and spy on them together.
5. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) A tortured spirit.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
2. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
3. What does Hamlet mean when he says "I will speak daggers to her, but use none."
4. Why does Hamlet talk to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about a recorder?
5. Who asks Hamlet to sit nearby during the play? Who does Hamlet prefer to sit with?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)