|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Polonius say is the most important thing for Laertes to remember as he leaves Elsinore?
(a) Do not borrow money.
(b) Do not talk too much.
(c) Do well in school.
(d) Be true to yourself.
2. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) A knife in the back.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) Poison poured in his ear.
(d) Poison poured down his throat.
3. After talking to Hamlet in her room, what does Gertrude say about Hamlet?
(a) He is not crazy.
(b) He is mad with love for Ophelia.
(c) He is crazy.
(d) He is determined to get revenge.
4. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Do not blame her for what happened.
(b) Protect her from the murderer.
(c) She is a good woman.
(d) What happened is her fault.
5. Polonius gives Laertes plenty of advice before Laertes leaves Elsinore. What does Polonius tell Laertes about talking and listening to people?
(a) Listen to people, but do not talk very much.
(b) Let women do the talking; men should listen.
(c) Practice talking to strangers to build up your confidence.
(d) Talk to people, but do not listen to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is giving Laertes advice, what does Polonius say about friends?
2. When the play shows a king being poisoned, how does the current king, Claudius, react?
3. After witnessing Hamlet kill someone, Gertrude hurries to find Claudius. Who is he talking to when she comes in?
4. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
5. During "The Mousetrap," Gertrude says, "The lady protests too much, methinks." What is she talking about?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)