|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
(a) A king's assassination.
(b) An insult.
(c) A little piece of worthless land.
(d) A country.
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(b) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(c) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(d) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
3. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Avoid him.
(c) Argue with him.
(d) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
4. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(b) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(c) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(d) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
5. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Killing his brother.
(b) Hamlet going crazy.
(c) Having Hamlet killed.
(d) Marrying Gertrude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
4. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
5. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)