|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
2. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(b) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(c) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(d) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
3. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
4. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him break the news to his mother.
(b) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(c) Keep his secret.
(d) Help him avenge the murder.
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(b) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
2. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
3. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
4. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)