|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the public explanation of the last king's death?
(a) He had a heart attack.
(b) He was stung by a serpent.
(c) He was stabbed.
(d) He died in his sleep.
2. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Hire an exorcist.
(b) Get revenge.
(c) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(d) Help the new king.
4. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
(a) His words and thoughts are not enough to convince heaven to forgive him.
(b) He says the right words, but they do not reach heaven because his thoughts are on earth.
(c) He does not speak his thoughts.
(d) His words lie, but his thoughts tell the truth.
5. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Help him break the news to his mother.
(b) Keep his secret.
(c) Help him avenge the murder.
(d) Tell the world about the last king's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
2. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
5. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)