|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Take him to England right away.
(c) Take him to a doctor.
(d) Take him to England next summer.
2. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) Do not blame her for what happened.
(b) What happened is her fault.
(c) Protect her from the murderer.
(d) She is a good woman.
3. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be crafty.
(b) They will be fast.
(c) They will be careful.
(d) They will be bloody.
4. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
5. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) A heart attack.
(b) Poison poured in his ear.
(c) Poison poured down his throat.
(d) A knife in the back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
2. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
4. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
5. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)