|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(c) Talking to Polonius.
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(b) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(c) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(d) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
3. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
4. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(b) Argue with him.
(c) Avoid him.
(d) Kill him.
5. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(b) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(c) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(d) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
2. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
3. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
4. Who does the ghost claim to be?
5. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)