|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He tells them nothing.
(b) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
(c) He says the ghost is a liar.
(d) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
2. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
(a) She is a good woman.
(b) What happened is her fault.
(c) Protect her from the murderer.
(d) Do not blame her for what happened.
3. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Leave the country forever.
(c) Kill somebody.
(d) Pretend to be crazy.
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Hire an exorcist.
(b) Get revenge.
(c) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(d) Help the new king.
5. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
(a) His words and thoughts are not enough to convince heaven to forgive him.
(b) He does not speak his thoughts.
(c) His words lie, but his thoughts tell the truth.
(d) He says the right words, but they do not reach heaven because his thoughts are on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
2. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
3. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
4. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
5. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)