|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
(a) Hamlet has only killed one man and the leader has killed many.
(b) He has a better reason to fight than the leader, but he does not fight.
(c) Hamlet was never in the army, unlike the troops' leader.
(d) The leader is a common man, while Hamlet is a prince.
3. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(b) Talking to Polonius.
4. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
(a) Hamlet going crazy.
(b) Killing his brother.
(c) Marrying Gertrude.
(d) Having Hamlet killed.
5. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's grandfather.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) A tortured spirit.
(d) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
2. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
4. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
5. After witnessing Hamlet's behavior during the play, what does Claudius say about his condition?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)