|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
(a) Poison poured down his throat.
(b) Poison poured in his ear.
(c) A knife in the back.
(d) A heart attack.
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(b) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(c) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(d) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
(d) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
4. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
5. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(b) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(c) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(d) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. After witnessing Hamlet's behavior during the play, what does Claudius say about his condition?
2. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
4. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
5. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)