|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
(a) Talking to Polonius.
2. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
3. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Keep his secret.
(b) Help him break the news to his mother.
(c) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(d) Help him avenge the murder.
4. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(b) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
5. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
(a) They will be bloody.
(b) They will be crafty.
(c) They will be careful.
(d) They will be fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
2. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
3. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
4. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
5. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)