|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(b) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
(c) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(d) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
2. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
(a) He cannot believe he has seen a ghost.
(b) He wishes he did not have to do the things he expects to do.
(c) He wishes he was not born a prince.
(d) He cannot believe what the ghost has told him.
3. What are the Norwegian soldiers fighting over?
(a) A king's assassination.
(b) An insult.
(c) A country.
(d) A little piece of worthless land.
4. What other "crime" has been committed against the last king?
(a) Claudius stole from the state treasury.
(b) Polonius stole from the state treasury.
(c) Claudius seduced his wife.
(d) Laertes seduced his wife.
5. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(b) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(c) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
(d) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real reason for the last king's death?
2. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
3. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
5. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)