|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(b) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
(c) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(d) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(b) Hire an exorcist.
(c) Get revenge.
(d) Help the new king.
3. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(b) Hamlet's father.
(c) Hamlet's grandfather.
(d) A tortured spirit.
4. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He tells them nothing.
(b) He says the ghost is a liar.
(c) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
(d) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
5. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
(a) Leave the country forever.
(b) Pretend to be crazy.
(c) Kill somebody.
(d) Get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
2. Hamlet says "The time is out of joint: O cursed spite/ That ever I was born to set it right!" What does that mean?
3. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
4. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
5. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)