|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
(a) Have a priest pray for its soul.
(b) Get revenge.
(c) Hire an exorcist.
(d) Help the new king.
2. What does Claudius say in Act 3, Scene 3 about his own thoughts and words?
(a) He says the right words, but they do not reach heaven because his thoughts are on earth.
(b) He does not speak his thoughts.
(c) His words and thoughts are not enough to convince heaven to forgive him.
(d) His words lie, but his thoughts tell the truth.
3. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(b) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(c) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
(d) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
4. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He tells them nothing.
(b) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
(c) He says the ghost is a liar.
(d) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
5. After his first meeting with the ghost, what does Hamlet ask his friends to do?
(a) Tell the world about the last king's death.
(b) Help him avenge the murder.
(c) Keep his secret.
(d) Help him break the news to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
2. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
3. Hamlet enters about halfway through Act 3, Scene 3. When he comes in, what is Claudius doing?
4. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
5. After the play, Claudius meets with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to discuss Hamlet's condition. Are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern more sympathetic to Claudius, Hamlet, or someone else?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)