|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
(a) Confess his crime so the world will know about his guilt.
(b) Apologize to Hamlet for killing his father.
(c) Stand trial for his crime so he can face public justice.
(d) Commit a sin so Hamlet can send his soul to hell.
2. When the ghost first speaks to Hamlet, how does it describe its experience?
(a) It walks at night and is frozen in a block of ice during the day.
(b) It is tortured and burned in a fire all the time.
(c) It walks all the time, hoping someone will set it free.
(d) It walks at night and is tortured by day.
3. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father when he was sleeping after a heavy meal.
(b) Claudius killed Hamlet's father by poisoning him with a heavy meal.
(c) Claudius killed Hamlet's father before Hamlet's father could repent his sins.
(d) Claudius looks like Hamlet's father.
4. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) Hamlet's father.
(b) Hamlet's grandfather.
(c) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(d) A tortured spirit.
5. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
(a) The armies of Norway want passage through Denmark.
(b) The armies of Norway will attack at dawn.
(c) The armies of Denmark must surrender their weapons.
(d) The armies of Norway have defeated the Poles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
2. Watching the troops attacking, Hamlet decides that he is less of a man than their leader. Why does he say that?
3. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
5. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)