|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Claudius speaks about his guilt in Act 3, Scene 3, what does he say about repenting?
(a) He cannot repent because he still has the crown and the queen -- the two things he did the murder for.
(b) He wants to repent, but cannot tell anyone what he has done.
(c) Only the weak repent.
(d) He is sure that heaven will forgive him for his crime.
2. What shocking news does the ghost deliver to Hamlet in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Claudius killed Hamlet's father.
(b) Laertes killed Hamlet's father.
(c) Ophelia killed Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's mother killed Hamlet's father.
3. After Hamlet's behavior during the play-within-a-play, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do with Hamlet?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Take him to a doctor.
(c) Take him to England next summer.
(d) Take him to England right away.
4. What does Hamlet tell his friends about his meeting with the ghost?
(a) He tells them nothing.
(b) He says the ghost is a liar.
(c) He pretends that he did not see a ghost.
(d) He repeats the truth about the last king's death.
5. After the play, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and Claudius meet to discuss Hamlet. Polonius joins them. What does he tell Claudius?
(a) Hamlet is on his way to come see Ophelia.
(b) Hamlet is going to see his mother and Polonius will eavesdrop on their conversation.
(c) Hamlet is acting crazy and threatening Gertrude.
(d) Hamlet is on his way to come see Claudius.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
2. What message is the Norwegian Captain supposed to deliver to Claudius in Act 4, Scene 4?
3. Once left alone on stage in Act 3, Scene 3, what does Cladius express guilt about?
4. What specific thing does Hamlet determine Claudius must do before Hamlet can murder him?
5. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)