|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the ghost claim to be?
(a) A tortured spirit.
(b) The ghost of kings of Denmark past.
(c) Hamlet's father.
(d) Hamlet's grandfather.
2. At the start of Act 4, Scene 4, the audience finally sees a character that has been talked about since the start of the play. Who is this character?
3. On his way to see his mother in Act 3, Scene 3, Hamlet finds Claudius. What does Hamlet decide not to do in that scene?
(a) Trick him into admitting his guilt.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Avoid him.
(d) Argue with him.
4. Claudius says his crime "hath the primal eldest curse upon't." What does he mean?
(a) Killing your oldest brother is an especially bad crime.
(b) Killing the king is an especially bad crime.
(c) Stealing your brother's wife is an especially bad crime.
(d) A brother's murder is an especially bad crime.
5. Who are the Norwegian soldiers attacking?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the first act, what does Hamlet warn his friends he might do?
2. Hamlet says of Claudius: "He took my father grossly, full of bread; With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May." What does Hamlet mean by that?
3. In Act 4, scene 4, while watching the troops and reflecting on his own behavior, what does Hamlet promise about his future actions?
4. During their first conversation, what does the ghost tell Hamlet about his mother?
5. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does the ghost ask Hamlet to do?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)