Act 1, Scene 1
* It is a cold night outside a castle in Elsinore, Denmark.
* Men are standing on watch and talking about seeing a "thing."
* One of them has brought Horatio, Prince Hamlet's friend, to witness the "thing."
* The "thing" is a ghost that walks at night.
* Horatio says the ghost looks like Denmark's last king (Hamlet's father) who recently died.
* They try to speak to the ghost. It looks like it will respond, but the cock crows and the ghost disappears.
* Horatio decides to tell Hamlet about the ghost.
Act 1, Scene 2
* Inside the castle, King Claudius gives a speech, describing the situation: his brother died, he took his brother's throne, and married his brother's widow, Gertrude.
* The country is also in an ongoing struggle with Norway, and Fortinbras, the prince of Norway, is making threats.
* Laertes, son of Claudius's counselor Polonius, returned to Denmark for Claudius's coronation, and...
This section contains 2,003 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)