|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the brothel Winfield visits with his friends?
2. Where does Winfield take a train to?
3. What does Hunnicut do before he leaves Winfield's room?
4. What kind of animal do Brother Samuel and Boudreaux use to help them pull out a large stump?
5. What happened to Winfield's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boudreaux get swamp fever in this section?
2. How does Suzanne live her life?
3. What trouble is Broussard in at the police station?
4. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
5. How does Broussard meet Suzanne again?
6. What is Bordreaux's plan?
7. How does Boudreaux feel about being free once more?
8. Describe Wally's character?
9. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
10. What problems does Wally cause at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contributes to Winfield's downfall? How could Winfield and the people around have prevented his downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)