|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard's parole officer claim will happen if Broussard does not provide a letter of employment?
2. What name does Hunnicut call Winfield in this section?
3. How do the crowd react to Winfield's performance?
4. What does Boudreaux want to wait to darkness to do?
5. What is wrong with Broussard's license?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winfield spend his first afternoon in his home town?
2. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
3. How does Boudreaux get swamp fever in this section?
4. How does Broussard first date with Suzanne go?
5. What advice does the doctor give Winfield?
6. How are things going on between Suzanne and Broussard?
7. How does Boudreaux feel about being free once more?
8. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
9. What does Broussard's parole officer tell him in this section?
10. How does the train ride to Louisiana change Winfield mindset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel say about the pressure caused by success? Does great pressure always come with success? How could society change the pressure that comes with being successful?
Essay Topic 3
What does the work camp teach Broussard and Boudreaux? What does what they learn say about work camps during the Sixties? How have work camps changed since then?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)