|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does April say would happen if the Hickses knew about Winfield's lifestyle?
2. Who is the only guard in the area when Boudreaux decides to escape?
3. What part of the quarter does Suzanne live in?
4. What does Broussard ask Wally to come with him to buy?
5. Why was Winfield's brother murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winfield's performance go down at the end of this section?
2. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
3. What does Broussard's parole officer tell him in this section?
4. How does Winfield describe his family?
5. What problems is Winfield having in Chapter 4?
6. Describe Broussard's first morning of freedom.
7. What do Broussard and Suzanne do together on the beach?
8. What trouble is Broussard in at the police station?
9. How does Broussard get into trouble in this section?
10. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
Essay Topic 2
How did Winfield's upbringing effect him and the decisions he makes in the book? How can Winfield get over the trouble he experienced as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)