|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winfield's sister working as in Little Rock?
2. Why does Winfield say he needs drugs?
3. Why does Wally insist on going with Broussard to buy more beer?
4. Where does Winfield run into some old friends?
5. What does Boudreaux want to wait to darkness to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wally's character?
2. How does the train ride to Louisiana change Winfield mindset?
3. How are things going on between Suzanne and Broussard?
4. How does Winfield end up on the side of the railroad?
5. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
6. How does Winfield spend his first afternoon in his home town?
7. What problems is Winfield having in Chapter 4?
8. Why does Boudreaux decide he will be safe on the slope until morning?
9. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
10. What is the parole board's verdict on Broussard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What contributes to Winfield's downfall? How could Winfield and the people around have prevented his downfall?
Essay Topic 3
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)