|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Suzanne receive an allowance from?
2. Where does Broussard go with Suzanne to catch up on old times?
3. What is Boudreaux doing in the fields when he decides to escape?
4. What kind of treatment was April given at the hospital?
5. What does Suzanne ask Broussard to go out to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Winfield having in Chapter 4?
2. How does Broussard get into trouble in this section?
3. How does the train ride to Louisiana change Winfield mindset?
4. What does Broussard's parole officer tell him in this section?
5. How did April respond to drug therapy treatment?
6. How is the drink effecting Broussard in this section?
7. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
8. What do Broussard and Suzanne do together on the beach?
9. How does Winfield end up on the side of the railroad?
10. What is the parole board's verdict on Broussard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect do the following people have on Winfield's life?
3. His sister.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)