|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Broussard go with Suzanne to catch up on old times?
2. What does Winfield play with his friends at the pool hall?
3. What kind of treatment was April given at the hospital?
4. Where is Boudreaux shot?
5. Why does Suzanne say she is unhappy with Broussard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Broussard and Suzanne do together on the beach?
2. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
3. Describe Wally's character?
4. How are things going on between Suzanne and Broussard?
5. What is the parole board's verdict on Broussard?
6. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
7. How does Boudreaux die?
8. What is Bordreaux's plan?
9. How does Winfield end up on the side of the railroad?
10. How does Winfield spend his first afternoon in his home town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel say about the pressure caused by success? Does great pressure always come with success? How could society change the pressure that comes with being successful?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)