|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winfield say he wants Hunnicut out of his room?
2. What member of the party gets extremely drunk?
3. Why does Winfield say he needs drugs?
4. What does Suzanne fall in love with in this section?
5. What happened to Winfield's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boudreaux get swamp fever in this section?
2. How does Broussard get into trouble in this section?
3. What is the parole board's verdict on Broussard?
4. Why does Boudreaux decide he will be safe on the slope until morning?
5. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
6. Describe Broussard's first morning of freedom.
7. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
8. How does Winfield describe his family?
9. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
10. How is the drink effecting Broussard in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)