|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard's parole officer claim will happen if Broussard does not provide a letter of employment?
2. What did Winfield's mother die of?
3. What does Wally always want to talk to Broussard about?
4. Who calls an ambulance for Winfield?
5. What does Emma use to smash Winfield's jaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boudreaux die?
2. What do Broussard and Suzanne do together on the beach?
3. How does Boudreaux get swamp fever in this section?
4. How are things going on between Suzanne and Broussard?
5. How does Boudreaux escape the workhouse?
6. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
7. How does Winfield spend his first evening in his hometown?
8. What does Broussard's parole officer tell him in this section?
9. How did April respond to drug therapy treatment?
10. Describe Broussard's first morning of freedom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the work camp teach Broussard and Boudreaux? What does what they learn say about work camps during the Sixties? How have work camps changed since then?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel say about the pressure caused by success? Does great pressure always come with success? How could society change the pressure that comes with being successful?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)