|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only place open in the town late at night?
2. Why does Suzanne say she is unhappy with Broussard?
3. Why are Broussard and Suzanne so keen to get away for the night?
4. What did Winfield's mother die of?
5. Where does Boudreaux have to dump the stumps?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Broussard first date with Suzanne go?
2. What is the parole board's verdict on Broussard?
3. What is Bordreaux's plan?
4. How does Boudreaux get swamp fever in this section?
5. How does Winfield describe his family?
6. How does Winfield end up on the side of the railroad?
7. Describe the argument between Hunnicutt and Winfield in this section?
8. How does Winfield spend his first afternoon in his home town?
9. How does Boudreaux feel about being free once more?
10. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Broussard's upbringing effect him and the decisions he makes in the book? How can Broussard get over the trouble he experienced as a child?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel say about the Sixties in southern America? How has the novel changed since the novel was published?
Essay Topic 3
What effect do the following people have on Broussard's life?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)