|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard's parole officer claim will happen if Broussard does not provide a letter of employment?
2. What does Suzanne do for a living?
3. What does Broussard's parole officer tell Broussard he needs proof of?
4. Where is Boudreaux's family?
5. What does Emma use to smash Winfield's jaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Suzanne live her life?
2. What trouble is Broussard in at the police station?
3. Describe Wally's character?
4. How does Winfield's performance go down at the end of this section?
5. In what way could the relationship between Suzanne and Broussard be described as desperate?
6. What is Bordreaux's plan?
7. How does Winfield spend his first afternoon in his home town?
8. How does Boudreaux die?
9. Describe Broussard's first morning of freedom.
10. How does Boudreaux feel about being free once more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of James Lee Burke's previous books and contrast it with Half of Paradise in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 3
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)