|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Gerard died?
2. Why have no reports ever been filed on the people in gang five?
3. What is the title of the first section?
4. Where does the parole board meet?
5. What does Tereau sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Boudreau so uncomfortable on his first shift at Bonham Shipping Company?
2. How does Boudreaux's fight with Pepponi almost ruin his fighting career?
3. How does Winfield start his addiction to drugs in this section?
4. What is Brother Samuel's view on Billy Jo?
5. Why is Lathrop intentions in New Orleans at the beginning of this section?
6. How did Avery's great grandfather's servant revenge his master's death?
7. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
8. How is Boudreaux caught by the police?
9. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
10. How does LeBlanc take to prison life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How did Winfield's upbringing effect him and the decisions he makes in the book? How can Winfield get over the trouble he experienced as a child?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)