|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does April introduce Winfield to in this section?
2. Who arrives at the work camp three weeks into Broussard's stay?
3. Where has LeBlanc been locked up according to Broussard?
4. Who introduces Winfield to Dr. Elgin?
5. What is the title of Book II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
2. Why is Boudreau so uncomfortable on his first shift at Bonham Shipping Company?
3. How do the men try to get at Rainack as they wait in the rain?
4. What problems do Broussard and LeBlanc face at the beginning of this section?
5. Why do the guards haul away Le Blanc at the end of this section?
6. How does Boudreaux get work at the Bonham Shipping Company?
7. How did Avery's great grandfather's servant revenge his master's death?
8. Why does Avery's father worry about him so much?
9. How does April put Winfield into a drug stupor in this section?
10. How does Winfield start his addiction to drugs in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of James Lee Burke's previous books and contrast it with Half of Paradise in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)