|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Winfeld want to work for Lathrop?
2. Where does Boudreaux find a job after he breaks his hand?
3. Where is Broussard at the beginning of Book II?
4. What does Evans force the prisoners to look at?
5. What drug is Winfield now addicted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
2. What is Brother Samuel's view on Billy Jo?
3. Why is Daddy Claxton worried about the rain?
4. What happens to Gerard and LeBlanc?
5. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
6. How is Avey eventually caught?
7. Why do the guards haul away Le Blanc at the end of this section?
8. How does April respond to Winfield's anger the following morning?
9. What problems do Tereau and Avery get into as soon as LeBlanc and Gerard leave?
10. How does LeBlanc take to prison life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasons does the novel give for Winfield's addictive personality? Is it a good representation of a drug addict? Do you think he could have succeeded without the drugs?
Essay Topic 2
What effect do the following people have on Winfield's life?
3. His sister.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)