|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Winfield to Dr. Elgin?
2. What does Avery's father die of?
3. How does LeBlanc try to kill Evans?
4. What other prisoner will also be eligible for parole?
5. What is the name of the man who has just joined gang five?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lathrop intentions in New Orleans at the beginning of this section?
2. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
3. How is Avey eventually caught?
4. Why does Hunnicut wnat Winfield to come back to Louisiana?
5. How does April respond to Winfield's anger the following morning?
6. What is Brother Samuel's view on Billy Jo?
7. What problems do Tereau and Avery get into as soon as LeBlanc and Gerard leave?
8. Why does Avery say he is running moonshine?
9. Why is Boudreau so uncomfortable on his first shift at Bonham Shipping Company?
10. Why does Avery's father worry about him so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Winfield's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Winfield hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Winfield ideas about life?
3. How has Winfield's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Winfield's upbringing effect him and the decisions he makes in the book? How can Winfield get over the trouble he experienced as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)