|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hunnicut want Winfield to return to Louisiana?
2. What is the only thing of value that Winfield owns?
3. What drug does April introduce Winfield to in this section?
4. Why doesn't Broussard want Benoit to give the knife to someone else?
5. What did Avery's great grandfather and his negro servant build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winfield find out about Troy in this section?
2. How is Boudreaux caught by the police?
3. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
4. How does Hunnicut persuade Winfield to write a song for Lathrop's campaign?
5. How does Winfield start his addiction to drugs in this section?
6. What problems do Tereau and Avery get into as soon as LeBlanc and Gerard leave?
7. How does LeBlanc take to prison life?
8. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
9. Why is Daddy Claxton worried about the rain?
10. Why does Hunnicut wnat Winfield to come back to Louisiana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Winfield's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Winfield hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Winfield ideas about life?
3. How has Winfield's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main characters, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What contributes to Winfield's downfall? How could Winfield and the people around have prevented his downfall?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)