|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does April administer cocaine to Winfield in this section?
2. What does Broussard claim has affected LeBlanc's mental state?
3. What is Bourdeaux in detention for in this section?
4. What does Lathrop want Winfield to do for him?
5. How did Avery's grandfather die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men try to get at Rainack as they wait in the rain?
2. How is Boudreaux caught by the police?
3. How does April respond to Winfield's anger the following morning?
4. Describe the days leading up to Winfield and April's marriage?
5. What problems do Broussard and LeBlanc face at the beginning of this section?
6. Why does Avery say he is running moonshine?
7. How is Winfield acting in this section?
8. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
9. How does Winfield start his addiction to drugs in this section?
10. Why is Daddy Claxton worried about the rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the novel say about the pressure caused by success? Does great pressure always come with success? How could society change the pressure that comes with being successful?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What contributes to Winfield's downfall? How could Winfield and the people around have prevented his downfall?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)