|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does Chapter 2 focus on?
2. What does Avery see swimming in the irrigation canal?
3. What does Seth tell Winfield about Elgin in this section?
4. Where does Broussard say he hopes to see Boudreaux again?
5. What does LeBlanc demand Evans gives him in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the days leading up to Winfield and April's marriage?
2. How is Winfield trying to change his life?
3. What problems do Tereau and Avery get into as soon as LeBlanc and Gerard leave?
4. Why does Avery say he is running moonshine?
5. How does April respond to Winfield's anger the following morning?
6. How does Hunnicut persuade Winfield to write a song for Lathrop's campaign?
7. Why is Lathrop intentions in New Orleans at the beginning of this section?
8. How is Avey eventually caught?
9. What problems do Broussard and LeBlanc face at the beginning of this section?
10. How do the men try to get at Rainack as they wait in the rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel say about the Sixties in southern America? How has the novel changed since the novel was published?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)