|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Avery no longer working at the farm?
2. Who was believed to have killed the Spaniard who killed Avery's great grandfather?
3. Who arrives at the work camp three weeks into Broussard's stay?
4. What are Avey and Boudreaux doing at the beginning of this section?
5. Where can Boudreaux find a map?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the guards haul away Le Blanc at the end of this section?
2. How is Avey eventually caught?
3. Why are Briussard and Boudreaux so worried about LeBlanc?
4. Describe the days leading up to Winfield and April's marriage?
5. What does Winfield find out about Troy in this section?
6. What happens to Gerard and LeBlanc?
7. Why does Avery's father worry about him so much?
8. Why is Daddy Claxton worried about the rain?
9. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
10. How is Winfield acting in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What does it take to become a successful musician in Nashville? In what way did Winfield have the character to succeed? Why isn't he able to continue his success?
Essay Topic 3
What does the novel say about the pressure caused by success? Does great pressure always come with success? How could society change the pressure that comes with being successful?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)