|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Live-Again?
2. What does Lathrop want Winfield to do for him?
3. What was the cause of Avery's grandfather's deafness?
4. Who attempts to visit Avery in prison?
5. What does Lathrop say he will keep giving people until they vote for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the days leading up to Winfield and April's marriage?
2. How is Avey eventually caught?
3. Why do the guards haul away Le Blanc at the end of this section?
4. How does Winfield start his addiction to drugs in this section?
5. How is Winfield acting in this section?
6. How does April put Winfield into a drug stupor in this section?
7. Why is Boudreau so uncomfortable on his first shift at Bonham Shipping Company?
8. What does Winfield find out about Troy in this section?
9. How is Boudreaux caught by the police?
10. How do the men try to get at Rainack as they wait in the rain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Winfield's upbringing effect him and the decisions he makes in the book? How can Winfield get over the trouble he experienced as a child?
Essay Topic 2
What effect do the following people have on Winfield's life?
3. His sister.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)