|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Avery's grandfather die?
2. What was the cause of Avery's grandfather's deafness?
3. Why does April say Winfield should be nice to her?
4. What are Terau and Avery waiting for?
5. Who attempts to visit Avery in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Boudreau so uncomfortable on his first shift at Bonham Shipping Company?
2. What is Bordreaux's plan?
3. What problems is Winfield having in Chapter 4?
4. How is Winfield trying to change his life?
5. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
6. Describe Broussard's first morning of freedom.
7. How does Boudreaux get work at the Bonham Shipping Company?
8. What problems do Tereau and Avery get into as soon as LeBlanc and Gerard leave?
9. What trouble is Broussard in at the police station?
10. How does Winfield's performance go down at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the novel say about the Sixties in southern America? How has the novel changed since the novel was published?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)