|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does April administer cocaine to Winfield in this section?
2. Where does the parole board meet?
3. What is the title of the first section?
4. What two prisoners are missing at the end of the day?
5. Who attempts to visit Avery in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winfield find out about Troy in this section?
2. Why do the guards haul away Le Blanc at the end of this section?
3. How does Hunnicut persuade Winfield to write a song for Lathrop's campaign?
4. How do the men try to get at Rainack as they wait in the rain?
5. What is wrong with the water the guards give the prisoners?
6. How does Broussard try to convince Benoit to sell him the knife?
7. Why are Briussard and Boudreaux so worried about LeBlanc?
8. How is Winfield trying to change his life?
9. How does Winfield cope in his interview?
10. Why does Avery's father worry about him so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contributes to Winfield's downfall? How could Winfield and the people around have prevented his downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Compare Winfield's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Winfield hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Winfield ideas about life?
3. How has Winfield's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)