|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily encourages the children to avoid doing what?
2. What kind of pet does the family adopt?
3. After Jim returns home, people begin to refer to him as the ______ Cowboy.
4. Lily tells the children that she has to be like whose wife.
5. What type of sandwich does Jim have for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
2. What happens when Lily accompanies Miss Pearl and Miss Finch to the Havasupai village?
3. Who confront Lily at school? What is the outcome?
4. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
5. What is Lily's solution to the dire financial situation?
6. What causes Lily to spy on Jim? What occurs?
7. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
8. What are some of the children's activities at home?
9. How does Helen's death affect Lily? What changes does the death prompt in Lily's life?
10. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Lily says that she plans to stick around for a long time to keep watch over the grandchildren. How do you think Little Jim and Rosemary feel about Lily's input? Does Lily feel that one are both are inept as parents? Do you think it is Lily's place to oversee the grandchildren? What kind of influence do you think Lily will have over the grandchildren? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)