|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion was the majority of the community?
2. The brothers announce that they are going to sell the ranch to investors from ______.
3. The women tell Lily that she needs to teach the children about ____.
4. Jim was asked to help out during a _____.
5. Rosemary develops a crush on a boy named _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Lily's luxuries when she and Jim move to Phoenix?
2. What are some of the things that Lily likes most about Phoenix?
3. What are some of the activities the family undertakes while in Phoenix?
4. Describe Lily's summer jobs and at least one event that occurs at that time.
5. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
6. Who confront Lily at school? What is the outcome?
7. Jim is asked for help during storm. What happens? What event follows?
8. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
9. What is Lily's plan for taking flying lessons? Who is her instructor?
10. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
Create a timeline of Lily Casey Smith's life. Include special events and important occurrences. Also choose three events and explain why they were significant in shaping Lily's life, career, and future.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)