|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is a humorous story about three ladies from _____.
2. Lily decides to take up which activity?
3. Which of the following had worked with someone famous?
4. What is the name of Lily's instructor?
5. How many sons does the deputy have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lily's summer jobs and at least one event that occurs at that time.
2. What are some of the children's activities at home?
3. Who is the next person to cause problems for Lily? What happens?
4. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
5. What is the next step in Lily's career?
6. What is Lily's solution to the dire financial situation?
7. What are some of the activities the family undertakes while in Phoenix?
8. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
9. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
10. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)