|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the summer, Lily worked ___ jobs.
2. Jim was asked to help out during a _____.
3. What are the names of the chestnut quarter horses?
4. Jim was fired because of ______.
5. Which of the following was not a job held by Lily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jim is asked for help during storm. What happens? What event follows?
2. What is the next step in Lily's career?
3. What is Lily's solution to the dire financial situation?
4. Who is the next person to cause problems for Lily? What happens?
5. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
6. How do the children react to their next school?
7. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
8. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
9. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
10. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Little Jim and Rosemary. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? Are the children close? Which is closer to his/her parents? How do you think the relationship will evolve as the siblings age? What do you think each thinks of the other's choices?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)