|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The family lives in which town?
2. What did Lily cover to deter the man from bothering her at work?
3. What is Lily's favorite modern convenience?
4. How long is Jim gone?
5. The boy belongs to which tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lily's plan for taking flying lessons? Who is her instructor?
2. What causes Lily to spy on Jim? What occurs?
3. How do the children react to their next school?
4. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
5. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
6. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
7. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
8. What are some of the children's activities at home?
9. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
10. What is the next step in Lily's career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Adam squanders Lily's tuition on the purchase of Great Danes. Examine Adam's motivation. Why do you think Adam did it? Is he opposed to Lily's education and simply looking for an excuse? Is this another one of Adam's harebrained ideas? What is Lily's reaction? Does Lily discuss the issue with Adam?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)