|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lily and Jim marry?
2. What word is best used to describe Rosemary?
3. How many children does the couple have?
4. What word is used to describe the woman in Jim's office?
5. How did the children feel about living in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Lily's luxuries when she and Jim move to Phoenix?
2. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
3. What is the next step in Lily's career?
4. What are some of the activities the family undertakes while in Phoenix?
5. What happens when Lily accompanies Miss Pearl and Miss Finch to the Havasupai village?
6. What is Lily's plan for taking flying lessons? Who is her instructor?
7. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
8. What are some of the children's activities at home?
9. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
10. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think will become of Rosemary? Do you think she and Rex will stay together? How will Rosemary's wild streak rub off on her daughters? Do you think motherhood will change Rosemary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Lily says that she plans to stick around for a long time to keep watch over the grandchildren. How do you think Little Jim and Rosemary feel about Lily's input? Does Lily feel that one are both are inept as parents? Do you think it is Lily's place to oversee the grandchildren? What kind of influence do you think Lily will have over the grandchildren? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of the story starts out with this quote: "Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did," Part 1, p. 3
What does the author mean by this quote? How is it possible that animals can sense impending danger? What qualities do the animals possess that humans do not? What might have happened if Lily hadn't noticed the signs? Explain Lily's actions.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)