|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim was fired because of ______.
2. What does the family name their new pet?
3. How old is Lily when she gets married for the second time?
4. How long is Jim gone?
5. The AIC changes its name to _______ Ranch.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
2. What happens when Lily accompanies Miss Pearl and Miss Finch to the Havasupai village?
3. What is Lily's solution to the dire financial situation?
4. How do the children react to their next school?
5. Describe Lily's summer jobs and at least one event that occurs at that time.
6. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
7. Who confront Lily at school? What is the outcome?
8. What are some of the children's activities at home?
9. What causes Lily to spy on Jim? What occurs?
10. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)