|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does the family use to describe the investors?
2. What type of car does the family own?
3. Lily encourages the children to avoid doing what?
4. Where does Jim work during this time?
5. What does the man do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the next person to cause problems for Lily? What happens?
2. How does Helen's death affect Lily? What changes does the death prompt in Lily's life?
3. What is the next step in Lily's career?
4. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
5. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
6. How do the children react to their next school?
7. Describe Lily's summer jobs and at least one event that occurs at that time.
8. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
9. What are some of the activities the family undertakes while in Phoenix?
10. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
Essay Topic 3
Lily says that she plans to stick around for a long time to keep watch over the grandchildren. How do you think Little Jim and Rosemary feel about Lily's input? Does Lily feel that one are both are inept as parents? Do you think it is Lily's place to oversee the grandchildren? What kind of influence do you think Lily will have over the grandchildren? Explain.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)