|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the children feel about living in the city?
2. Lily and Jim buy new _____.
3. Where does Jim work during this time?
4. How many children does the couple have?
5. What is the name of Lily's instructor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Lily's luxuries when she and Jim move to Phoenix?
2. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
3. How do the children react to their next school?
4. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
5. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
6. Describe Lily's summer jobs and at least one event that occurs at that time.
7. What are some of the children's activities at home?
8. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
9. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
10. Who is the next person to cause problems for Lily? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)