|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does AIC stand for?
2. How did the children feel about living in the city?
3. Lily and Jim sent the children to ______.
4. What is the name of the Chinese gentleman?
5. How long is Jim gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lily accompanies Miss Pearl and Miss Finch to the Havasupai village?
2. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
3. What are some of the things that Lily likes most about Phoenix?
4. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
5. What is the next step in Lily's career?
6. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
7. Jim is asked for help during storm. What happens? What event follows?
8. Who confront Lily at school? What is the outcome?
9. What is one of the first signs of Rosemary's sometimes overly compassionate heart?
10. What are some of the children's activities at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
Essay Topic 3
Give at least three examples of flashback as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)