|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father is fascinated with which character?
2. What word is best used to describe Lily's professional demeanor?
3. What is the name of Ted's wife?
4. What type of natural disaster strikes the ranch first?
5. Lily is eventually sent to The Sisters of ______ of Our Lady of the Light.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
2. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
3. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
4. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
5. What is unusual about the school?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
8. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
9. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
10. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of the story starts out with this quote: "Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did," Part 1, p. 3
What does the author mean by this quote? How is it possible that animals can sense impending danger? What qualities do the animals possess that humans do not? What might have happened if Lily hadn't noticed the signs? Explain Lily's actions.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)