|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family go to start over?
2. How many students does Lily have?
3. Lily began to take day trips to which landmark?
4. What type of dog was purchased using Lily's tuition money?
5. What is the first lie Lily learns about her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
2. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
3. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
4. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
5. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
6. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
7. How is Salt Draw explained?
8. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
9. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
10. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Lily and Big Jim. Is it a good marriage? What makes it work? How does the age difference affect the relationship? What causes Lily to become suspicious of Jim's fidelity?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)