|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lily's new job?
2. What is the name of the only son?
3. What is the first lie Lily learns about her husband?
4. How old is Lily at this time?
5. Helen refers to her each of her beaus as Mr. _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
2. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
3. What is unusual about the school?
4. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
5. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
6. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
7. How is Salt Draw explained?
8. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
9. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
10. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)