|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Lily use to return home?
2. The father talks about what supernatural being?
3. What is the name of Lily's mother?
4. What type of dog was purchased using Lily's tuition money?
5. Lily began to take day trips to which landmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
2. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
3. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
4. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
5. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
8. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
9. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
10. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Lily and Big Jim. Is it a good marriage? What makes it work? How does the age difference affect the relationship? What causes Lily to become suspicious of Jim's fidelity?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story based upon the characters in the story 5 or ten years in the future. Use as many details from the book as possible and also ensure that the backstory is clear so that new readers may understand the premise.
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)