|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Lily use to return home?
2. The father talks about what supernatural being?
3. What is the name of Lily's mother?
4. What type of dog was purchased using Lily's tuition money?
5. Lily began to take day trips to which landmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
2. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
3. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
4. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
5. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
8. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
9. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
10. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)