|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Mother Superior?
2. What store does Lily hope to go to in order to shop?
3. What is the name of the nearby small town?
4. Where had this person lived until the visit?
5. Lily is introduced to ___ Smith.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
2. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
3. What is unusual about the school?
4. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
5. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
6. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
7. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
8. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
9. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
10. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)