|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily had intended to buy a new ____.
2. What is the name of the only son?
3. Which problem plagues the father?
4. The father is particularly interested in which of the following?
5. What is the first lie Lily learns about her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Salt Draw explained?
2. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
3. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
4. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
5. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
6. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
7. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
8. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
9. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
10. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Little Jim and Rosemary. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? Are the children close? Which is closer to his/her parents? How do you think the relationship will evolve as the siblings age? What do you think each thinks of the other's choices?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)