|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the school located?
2. Lily is eventually sent to The Sisters of ______ of Our Lady of the Light.
3. The father is known for his flights of fancy. Lily says, "I sat there, ignoring Dad's prattle about _______ schemes."
4. It became Lily's job to oversee ____ workers.
5. What is the name of the family's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jim and Lily go after they leave Phoenix? What does the couple do to make a living?
2. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
3. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
4. What are some of the children's activities at home?
5. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
6. What happens when Lily accompanies Miss Pearl and Miss Finch to the Havasupai village?
7. What is the next step in Lily's career?
8. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
9. Jim is asked for help during storm. What happens? What event follows?
10. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
This section contains 1,886 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)