|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lily's new friend?
2. What is the name of the region where the family lives?
3. What other natural disaster causes a large problem on the ranch?
4. The father is particularly interested in which of the following?
5. Lily is in what type of accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
2. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
3. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
4. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
5. What is unusual about the school?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
8. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
9. Where does Lily go to school? Who is in charge of the school?
10. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)