|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the family?
2. How old is Lily at this time?
3. The father is fascinated with which character?
4. How many students does Lily have?
5. What type of animal senses trouble in the first part?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
2. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
3. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
4. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
5. What is unusual about the school?
6. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
7. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
8. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
9. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
10. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story based upon the characters in the story 5 or ten years in the future. Use as many details from the book as possible and also ensure that the backstory is clear so that new readers may understand the premise.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)