|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily applies to a teachers' college in which state?
2. Smith teaches Lily how to ____.
3. What event permitted Lily to leave the ranch?
4. How many students does Lily have?
5. What other natural disaster causes a large problem on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
2. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
3. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
4. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
5. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
6. Where does Lily go to school? Who is in charge of the school?
7. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
8. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
9. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
10. How is Salt Draw explained?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story based upon the characters in the story 5 or ten years in the future. Use as many details from the book as possible and also ensure that the backstory is clear so that new readers may understand the premise.
Essay Topic 2
Lily says that she plans to stick around for a long time to keep watch over the grandchildren. How do you think Little Jim and Rosemary feel about Lily's input? Does Lily feel that one are both are inept as parents? Do you think it is Lily's place to oversee the grandchildren? What kind of influence do you think Lily will have over the grandchildren? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)