|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event permitted Lily to leave the ranch?
2. What is the name of Ted's wife?
3. What is the name of Lily's new friend?
4. What is the name of the woman who helps the family?
5. What is the name of the family's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
2. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
3. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
4. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
5. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
6. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
7. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
8. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
9. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
10. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The beginning of the story starts out with this quote: "Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did," Part 1, p. 3
What does the author mean by this quote? How is it possible that animals can sense impending danger? What qualities do the animals possess that humans do not? What might have happened if Lily hadn't noticed the signs? Explain Lily's actions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lily and Adam Casey. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? How is Lily like her father? Does Lily realize that she also has flights of fancy? Does Adam approve of Lily's choices? Examine the relationship between father and daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Create a timeline of Lily Casey Smith's life. Include special events and important occurrences. Also choose three events and explain why they were significant in shaping Lily's life, career, and future.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)