|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family that moves onto the ranch?
2. What is the name of the nearby small town?
3. The oldest child is gifted in regards to working with ____.
4. How many students does Lily have?
5. How old is Buster when he is sent off to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
2. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
3. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
4. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
5. How is Salt Draw explained?
6. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
7. What is unusual about the school?
8. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
9. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
10. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lily and Adam Casey. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? How is Lily like her father? Does Lily realize that she also has flights of fancy? Does Adam approve of Lily's choices? Examine the relationship between father and daughter.
Essay Topic 2
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)