|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the old ranch located?
2. How far is the school from the ranch?
3. Which of Lily's family members commits suicide?
4. What is the name of Lily's father?
5. What is the name of Lily's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Salt Draw explained?
2. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
3. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
4. What are some of the children's activities at home?
5. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
6. Who is Rex Walls?
7. Where does Lily go to school? Who is in charge of the school?
8. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
9. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
10. What activities do Jim and Lily take up outside of work?
Essay Topic 1
Create a timeline of Lily Casey Smith's life. Include special events and important occurrences. Also choose three events and explain why they were significant in shaping Lily's life, career, and future.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Lily and Big Jim. Is it a good marriage? What makes it work? How does the age difference affect the relationship? What causes Lily to become suspicious of Jim's fidelity?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Rex Walls. Who is he? Why is Rosemary so taken with Rex? Why does Lily dislike and distrust Rex so much? What finally forces Lily to give into accepting the relationship and marriage?
This section contains 1,987 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)