|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Smith teaches Lily how to ____.
2. What is the man's last name?
3. What is the name of the woman who helps the family?
4. What is the name of Lily's first true friend?
5. What word is best used to describe Lily's professional demeanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
2. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
3. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
4. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
5. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
6. How is Salt Draw explained?
7. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
8. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
9. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
10. What is unusual about the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Little Jim and Rosemary. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? Are the children close? Which is closer to his/her parents? How do you think the relationship will evolve as the siblings age? What do you think each thinks of the other's choices?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)