|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The oldest child is gifted in regards to working with ____.
2. How many children are in the family?
3. What mode of transportation does Lily use to return home?
4. Who makes the sign of the cross?
5. What type of horse is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
2. What is unusual about the school?
3. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
4. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
5. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
6. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
7. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
8. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
9. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
10. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story based upon the characters in the story 5 or ten years in the future. Use as many details from the book as possible and also ensure that the backstory is clear so that new readers may understand the premise.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Adam's desire for education and to prove himself to the locals. Do you think part of Adam's demeanor came from his accident? How did the town officials view Adam? What did Adam do to try to gain respect? Did it work?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)