|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the youngest child?
2. Lily manages to get a(n) ______.
3. What is the name of the horse Lily breaks?
4. What is the name of Lily's father?
5. The family had owned land in ____ Valley.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
2. What is unusual about the school?
3. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
4. Where does Lily go to school? Who is in charge of the school?
5. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
6. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
7. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
8. How is Salt Draw explained?
9. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
10. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Lily and Big Jim. Is it a good marriage? What makes it work? How does the age difference affect the relationship? What causes Lily to become suspicious of Jim's fidelity?
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Little Jim and Rosemary. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? Are the children close? Which is closer to his/her parents? How do you think the relationship will evolve as the siblings age? What do you think each thinks of the other's choices?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)