|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Mother Superior?
2. Lily is eventually sent to The Sisters of ______ of Our Lady of the Light.
3. What is the age of the oldest child?
4. Lily applies to a teachers' college in which state?
5. How old is Buster when he is sent off to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
2. Where does Lily go to school? Who is in charge of the school?
3. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
4. How is Salt Draw explained?
5. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
6. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
7. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
8. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
9. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
10. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Create a timeline of Lily Casey Smith's life. Include special events and important occurrences. Also choose three events and explain why they were significant in shaping Lily's life, career, and future.
Essay Topic 3
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)