|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family see upon arriving in the new location?
2. Lily travels for _____ years.
3. What is the name of the town where Lily lives?
4. What word is best used to describe Lily's professional demeanor?
5. The father is known for his flights of fancy. Lily says, "I sat there, ignoring Dad's prattle about _______ schemes."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
2. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
3. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
4. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
5. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
6. What is unusual about the school?
7. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
8. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
9. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
10. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily says that she plans to stick around for a long time to keep watch over the grandchildren. How do you think Little Jim and Rosemary feel about Lily's input? Does Lily feel that one are both are inept as parents? Do you think it is Lily's place to oversee the grandchildren? What kind of influence do you think Lily will have over the grandchildren? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
Essay Topic 3
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)