|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree is used for refuge?
2. What store does Lily hope to go to in order to shop?
3. How far is the school from the ranch?
4. What is the name of Ted's wife?
5. What type of natural disaster strikes the ranch first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
2. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
3. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
4. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
5. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
6. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
7. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
8. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
9. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
10. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily believed that she could teach virtually any child until she had Rosemary. Explain why you think Lily was unable to teach Rosemary. What was Jim's role in Rosemary's education? Why do you think Rosemary was so wild and contrary? In what areas did Rosemary excel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the life of Rosemary Smith Walls. Was Rosemary a real wild child or simply undisciplined? What might Jim and/or Lily have done to tame Rosemary? Why was Rosemary kicked out of school? How might Rosemary portray her education to her children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)