|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily is in what type of accident?
2. Which word could best be used to describe the Mother Superior?
3. What is a Stetson?
4. What is Lily's new job?
5. What is the name of the horse Lily breaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the school?
2. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
3. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
4. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
5. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
6. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
7. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
8. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
9. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
10. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a timeline of Lily Casey Smith's life. Include special events and important occurrences. Also choose three events and explain why they were significant in shaping Lily's life, career, and future.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)