|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father talks about what supernatural being?
2. What type of animal is trained at the ranch?
3. What is the name of Lily's first true friend?
4. The friend dies in a ____ fire.
5. Where had this person lived until the visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
2. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
3. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
4. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
5. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
6. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
7. How is Lily's career shaped over the next several years?
8. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
9. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
10. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Helen Casey and Rosemary Smith Walls. Why is Lily concerned that Rosemary will turn out like Helen? What steps does Rosemary take to try to shape Rosemary's future in a positive way? Does it work? How similar are Helen and Rosemary? Do you think Rosemary will travel the same path? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)