|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the new home of the family?
2. What store does Lily hope to go to in order to shop?
3. What type of tree is used for refuge?
4. What is Lily's new job?
5. What type of animal senses trouble in the first part?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Lily to spy on Jim? What occurs?
2. What event occurs to severely affect the family?
3. What activities do Jim and Lily take up outside of work?
4. Where do Jim and Lily move after Jim is hired by AIC?
5. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
6. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
7. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
8. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
9. Explain Lily's return to KC Ranch.
10. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think will become of Rosemary? Do you think she and Rex will stay together? How will Rosemary's wild streak rub off on her daughters? Do you think motherhood will change Rosemary? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story based upon the characters in the story 5 or ten years in the future. Use as many details from the book as possible and also ensure that the backstory is clear so that new readers may understand the premise.
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)