Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mode of transportation does Lily use to return home?
2. The father talks about what supernatural being?
3. What is the name of Lily's mother?
4. What type of dog was purchased using Lily's tuition money?
5. Lily began to take day trips to which landmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
2. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
3. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
4. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
5. What is the purpose for the contact between Adam and Lily? What is Adam's request?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
8. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
9. Describe the next few years of the couple's life together.
10. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
Essay Topic 1
Adam squanders Lily's tuition on the purchase of Great Danes. Examine Adam's motivation. Why do you think Adam did it? Is he opposed to Lily's education and simply looking for an excuse? Is this another one of Adam's harebrained ideas? What is Lily's reaction? Does Lily discuss the issue with Adam?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)