|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rooster's last name?
2. The college is located in which city?
3. What type of horse is it?
4. Where is the old ranch located?
5. The father is known for his flights of fancy. Lily says, "I sat there, ignoring Dad's prattle about _______ schemes."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lily concerned with Helen? What is the plan for Helen's future?
2. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
3. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
4. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
5. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
6. Why does Lily return to KC Ranch? What has changed since her last visit?
7. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
8. What is unusual about the school?
9. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
10. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Lily and Big Jim. Is it a good marriage? What makes it work? How does the age difference affect the relationship? What causes Lily to become suspicious of Jim's fidelity?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lily and Adam Casey. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? How is Lily like her father? Does Lily realize that she also has flights of fancy? Does Adam approve of Lily's choices? Examine the relationship between father and daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)