|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily surprises the men by being good at ____.
2. What type of tree is used for refuge?
3. Lily applies to a teachers' college in which state?
4. How many miles away is the town?
5. How many children are in the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
2. What is unusual about the school?
3. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
4. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
5. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
6. Adam manages to make free time for his extra curricular activities. What are Lily's opinions about her father's whims?
7. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
8. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
9. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
10. What is Lily's philosophy about teaching children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the interesting and turbulent life of Lily Casey Smith. What were Lily's best traits? What were her weaknesses? Do you admire Lily's abilities? What about Lily do you like/dislike the most? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lily's occupation as a teacher. How did Lily get started as a teacher? What was her earliest inspiration? Do you think it was a wise choice for Lily to become a teacher? Were her methods common or unorthodox? Explain. Also explain the issues Lily had with some of her employers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Billy the Kid. Focus on key points mentioned by Adam Casey. Do you think Adam was fascinated by the man or the myth? Explain.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)