|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Lily lives?
2. What is the name of the Mother Superior?
3. What does Smith do for a living?
4. Lily is eventually sent to The Sisters of ______ of Our Lady of the Light.
5. What is the age of the oldest child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
2. What happens to Lily's job at the end of World War I?
3. What is the first unusual thing that happens when the family arrives in Hondo Valley?
4. What are the issues with Adam Casey? How does Adam make up for his shortcomings?
5. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
6. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
7. What are the educational goals of the children? How are those goals addressed?
8. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
9. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
10. What happens when Lily decides to take the test for her temporary teacher's certificate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of foreshadowing as it is used in the story. Does the author make it clear or are the references vague? What is the purpose? Is it effective? Are there other instances and events that might benefit from the use of this technique? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Little Jim and Rosemary. Who is the wildest? Who is the most grounded? Are the children close? Which is closer to his/her parents? How do you think the relationship will evolve as the siblings age? What do you think each thinks of the other's choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Little Jim Smith. What is his personality? How is he affected by the moves from place to place? Examine Little Jim's behavior at boarding school. How does Little Jim feel about school? Is Lily surprised and/or dismayed when Little Jim drops out of college? What do you think Little Jim's parents thought when Little Jim became a police officer? Discuss the relationship between Little Jim and his parents.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)