|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lily travels for _____ years.
2. Lily feels she is no longer needed at the ranch so she moves to which metropolitan city?
(a) Santa Fe.
(c) St. Louis.
3. The family had owned land in ____ Valley.
4. Where is the old ranch located?
5. Smith teaches Lily how to ____.
(a) Navigate by the stars.
(b) Rope cattle.
(d) Fix cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word could best be used to describe the Mother Superior?
2. Lily surprises the men by being good at ____.
3. Where does the family go to start over?
4. What store does Lily hope to go to in order to shop?
5. The friend dies in a ____ fire.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Helen's death affect Lily? What changes does the death prompt in Lily's life?
2. What is Lily's plan in regards to getting married and starting a family? How does the plan play out?
3. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
4. What are some of the activities the family undertakes while in Phoenix?
5. What are Lily's instructions to the children when she returns to teaching? How do the children behave?
6. What are some of the things that Lily likes most about Phoenix?
7. What are some of the children's activities at home?
8. Explain Lily's college experience. What are some of her trials and victories?
9. What causes Lily to get into trouble at school this time?
10. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)