|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event permitted Lily to leave the ranch?
(a) Ranch burned down.
(d) Daisy died.
2. Who makes the sign of the cross?
3. What is Lily's first job in the city?
(a) Newspaper editor.
(d) Sales clerk.
4. What is the age of the oldest child?
5. What word is best used to describe Lily's professional demeanor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ted's wife?
2. What type of tree is used for refuge?
3. What is the name of the nearby small town?
4. Where is the school located?
5. Which of Lily's family members commits suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
2. Where does Lily go after leaving the ranch? What prompts her choice?
3. What prompts Lily to leave the ranch?
4. What are the conditions of the Casey family ranch?
5. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
6. How do the children react to their next school?
7. Explain what occurs on Lily's return to Red Lake? Who challenges Lily? How is the situation handled?
8. Jim and Lily lose their house and land. The couple plans to move to California where they know jobs are still available. What causes the couple to stay in Arizona?
9. Lily decides to leave the ranch again. What is her plan?
10. What becomes of the children?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)