|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of the convent school is considered to be unusual?
2. What is the name of the only son?
3. Where does the family go to start over?
(b) New Mexico.
4. Where is the old ranch located?
5. What type of animal senses trouble in the first part?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who helps the family?
2. What is Lily's new job?
3. What is the name of the horse Lily breaks?
4. What type of dog was purchased using Lily's tuition money?
5. What other natural disaster causes a large problem on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lily return to the ranch? What happens when she returns?
2. What are Lily's responsibilities on the ranch?
3. What must be done in order to operate a ranch of this size? What was Lily's role in running the ranch?
4. How does Lily react when her father suggests that the children were saved by divine intervention? How does Lily explain saving Helen and Buster?
5. What is the first major incident that happens in the story?
6. What was the first indication that there was trouble brewing?
7. What is the name of the new ranch? How is it different from High Lonesome?
8. What is the test Lily must pass to retrieve her paycheck? What is the outcome?
9. What is unusual about the school?
10. What natural disaster occurs that causes the family to abandon High Lonesome? What damage is caused?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)