|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen spend Christmas in Chapter 27?
2. In what type of tree did Gos get entangled in Chapter 16?
3. When did White write the conclusion to "The Once and Future King"?
4. What business did Scott McNeff run?
5. In Chapter 21, when did a rabbit virus arrive in Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what did Helen do with Mabel in the evenings?
2. What happened when Helen's father photographed an unfamiliar plane when he was nine or ten?
3. How did Mabel begin to act when she came into yarak?
4. How did the author feel about death for many years?
5. How was hunting in Maine different from hunting in England?
6. How did Mabel catch a rabbit with Helen's help in Chapter 22?
7. Why did White believe that death waited for Gos when the bird got free?
8. Why were bells used in falconry and where were they placed on the bird?
9. What was the falconer's trick that was used to stop a hawk from feeling that she had been robbed of her prize?
10. Why did Helen find it odd that she could hunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A piece of reindeer moss was important to the author. What did the reindeer moss symbolize for her and why?
Essay Topic 2
Helen had to deal with the "loss" of Mabel at the end of the book. Why did she have to leave Mabel and what did that experience reveal about Helen's ability to cope with loss at that point in time?
Essay Topic 3
The author told about her preference for falcons at one time in her life. Why did the author first fly falcons and why did she later decide to fly a goshawk? What made her change her mind about the goshawk?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)