|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who told White that there were agitated rooks in the nearby woods?
2. What type of hawks did White see in Three Parks Wood in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 19, what prey did Mabel catch after the author flushed it for her?
4. In Chapter 25, how far did Mabel clock a pile of woodpigeons on a plough?
5. What did Stuart offer to fly with Helen in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the new house like that Helen moved to in Chapter 20?
2. In Chapter 24, what did Helen do with Mabel in the evenings?
3. How cold was it at the beginning of Chapter 26?
4. What type of education did White give Wart in his book "The Sword in the Stone"?
5. What did Helen remember about lobstering with Erin's family?
6. How did Mabel respond when Helen let her fly free in Chapter 18?
7. Why did White believe that death waited for Gos when the bird got free?
8. What was the falconer's trick that was used to stop a hawk from feeling that she had been robbed of her prize?
9. Why wasn't Helen depending solely on a bell to track Mabel when she flew free?
10. How did Helen get ready to go to an art gallery in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen and White had different ways of facing their fears. How were their methods for dealing with fears different, and what was lost or gained because of the way they handled fear?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 25, the hunt changed. How had Helen changed after the memorial service? How did those changes affect the hunt and the relationship between Helen and Mabel?
Essay Topic 3
White made many mistakes with his hawk. Why was training so difficult for White, and how did his personality and inner conflicts make the training difficult?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)