|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Christina bring in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 3, what color eyes did the goshawks have?
3. In Chapter 14, what types of birds did Mabel seem to look at in a book?
4. Where had the goshawk been bred that the author was fetching in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 11 during the second expedition outside, how long did it take Mabel to get over her apprehension?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author describe the cyclist who stopped to speak to her when she was walking Mabel?
2. What was White's childhood like?
3. What was a "tiring"?
4. What was bating?
5. What artwork did the author describe in Chapter 6?
6. How did the author describe the landscape she loved very much?
7. Why did White overfeed his hawk?
8. What did a old female goshawk look like that was brought to a bird-of-prey center where Helen worked at one time?
9. How did Simon Latham describe goshawks in 1615?
10. Where was White's cottage located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen and White had different ways of facing their fears. How were their methods for dealing with fears different, and what was lost or gained because of the way they handled fear?
Essay Topic 2
The author did not reveal her name until about a third of the way through the book. Why didn't the author reveal her name until then, and what was the significance of the author not revealing her name until partway through the book?
Essay Topic 3
The author told about her father's death. How did her father's death affect her and how did it change her life?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)