|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the falconers drive in Chapter 3?
2. How long was the Goshawk?
3. During White's first night with his hawk, where did he set it loose?
4. In Chapter 9, what creature did the author compare the hawk to when the author said the hawk seemed alien?
5. What did Christina bring in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Simon Latham describe goshawks in 1615?
2. How are sparrowhawks and goshawks alike and unalike?
3. What was bating?
4. In Chapter 3, why did some men stay behind when their companions left for the day?
5. What was important to do when training a hawk?
6. How did the author describe how her meeting with the falconer looked in Chapter 5?
7. How did Mabel change once she attained her flying weight?
8. Why was the author terrified in Chapter 3?
9. Why did the author say that everything about the hawk was turned to hunt and kill?
10. Why was White pleased with himself at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, Helen felt torn between two worlds. What two worlds was she caught between and how did she manage to remain in the world of humans, rather than become a hawk?
Essay Topic 2
The author spent a fair amount of time relating information about T.H. White. Why did the author spend so much time discussing White's life and how did she identify with him?
Essay Topic 3
Helen attended a country fair in Chapter 22. What gamut of emotions did she go through at first? How did she make peace and become comfortable with being at the fair and being around so many people?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)