|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, where is the man from that Helen speaks to when she is out walking with her hawk?
2. In Chapter 1, when did the author say that she ended up in the Brecklands?
3. In Chapter 6, how much did White's rented cottage cost him weekly?
4. How many time did the author weigh merlins when she used to fly them?
5. What color streaked the front of the author's hawk like teardrops in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are sparrowhawks and goshawks alike and unalike?
2. What was White's childhood like?
3. How did Simon Latham describe goshawks in 1615?
4. What artwork did the author describe in Chapter 6?
5. What did a old female goshawk look like that was brought to a bird-of-prey center where Helen worked at one time?
6. How did Mabel change once she attained her flying weight?
7. What was bating?
8. What was important to do when training a hawk?
9. How did the author describe how her meeting with the falconer looked in Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 2, what did the waiter do when Helen did not eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author did not reveal her name until about a third of the way through the book. Why didn't the author reveal her name until then, and what was the significance of the author not revealing her name until partway through the book?
Essay Topic 2
White made many mistakes with his hawk. Why was training so difficult for White, and how did his personality and inner conflicts make the training difficult?
Essay Topic 3
White felt reborn after lying in the "grave" he made for himself to wait for Gos to return. What was the "grave" and why did it help White discard some things from his past and help him become a new man?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)