|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Mabel have to jump in Chapter 12 to get food Helen held in her glove?
2. In Chapter 3, how old was the goshawk that the author arranged to pick up in Scotland?
3. In Chapter 13, how many years had Helen been a Cambridge Fellow?
4. In Chapter 7, what did the author feed her hawk when she took off the hood from the hawk's head?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what did Helen give Mabel to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author say that everything about the hawk was turned to hunt and kill?
2. How are sparrowhawks and goshawks alike and unalike?
3. Why did White overfeed his hawk?
4. How did Mabel change once she attained her flying weight?
5. What artwork did the author describe in Chapter 6?
6. Why did the schoolboys he taught look up to White?
7. What journey did White's goshawk take to him?
8. How did the author describe the landscape she loved very much?
9. In Chapter 3, why did some men stay behind when their companions left for the day?
10. Why was the author terrified in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A piece of reindeer moss was important to the author. What did the reindeer moss symbolize for her and why?
Essay Topic 2
White made many mistakes with his hawk. Why was training so difficult for White, and how did his personality and inner conflicts make the training difficult?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 23, Helen reached a turning point. What was her turning point and did it help or hinder her grieving process?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)