|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Gos arrived at White's place did White take him to a farmhouse?
2. In Chapter 13, when did Helen say that her college job would end?
3. How much of the author's life was spent in an incubator when she was a newborn?
4. In Chapter 10, how many days and nights had the author planned to keep the hawk awake?
5. What was Mabel's flying weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen feel as she left home at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Why was the author terrified in Chapter 3?
3. What was White's childhood like?
4. What terrible sin did White commit when training his bird?
5. Why did the author say that everything about the hawk was turned to hunt and kill?
6. What was bating?
7. How did the author describe the cyclist who stopped to speak to her when she was walking Mabel?
8. Where had Helen traveled with an Uzbek student?
9. How did Christina react when Helen asked her to help train Mabel?
10. Why did White overfeed his hawk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 21, Helen felt torn between two worlds. What two worlds was she caught between and how did she manage to remain in the world of humans, rather than become a hawk?
Essay Topic 2
Helen attended a country fair in Chapter 22. What gamut of emotions did she go through at first? How did she make peace and become comfortable with being at the fair and being around so many people?
Essay Topic 3
White gained fellowship through his falconry. What did the author gain from her falconry and how did it help her with the issues that she was struggling with?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)