|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the game in Part 5, Chapter 3, at first Shilshole is down, but what move by Mick turns the tide of the game?
2. The next team that Mick will play against is who in Part 5, Chapter 11?
3. What team starts out behind in the game in Part 5, Chapter 14?
4. What does Mick do for hours after leaving the swim party in Part 4, Chapter 7?
5. Coach Carlson's plan in the first game of the season in Part 5, Chapter 1 is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mick depressed in Part 4, Chapter 10? What brings him out of it?
2. What causes Mick to go back to using drugs in Part 5, Chapter 7? What new drug does he begin to take?
3. Why does Mick decide against using drugs before the game in Part 5, Chapter 12?
4. What does Mick discover in an outing with friends in Part 4, Chapter 6?
5. What is the underlying reality of Mick's depression in Part 4, Chapter 10?
6. How does Mick attempt to train in Part 5, Chapter 6? What internal conflict does he face?
7. What does Mick realize about Drew in Part 5, Chapter 15? What does the reader realize?
8. What does Mick do as a result of rage in Part 5, Chapter 9? What are the consequences?
9. What leads Mick to waver in his second chances in Part 4, Chapter 8?
10. What opportunity does Mick decide to take in Part 4, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of alienation in the novel. How is this theme indicated through symbolism. In what ways does Mick become more alienated and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the tactics used in the game between Foothill and Shilshole in Chapters 9 and 10. What actions did Mick make in the game? What are the results of Mick's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the biography and works of the author and the critical response of Gym Candy. When was the book published and what awards has it garnered? How does the biography of the author relate to the novel's setting and themes?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)