|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mick's father contends that if Mick is good enough to be captain, he is good enough to do what in Part 2, Chapter 7?
2. In what city do Mick and his family live?
3. Coach Carlson has reorganized the gym and has put up what in Part 3, Chapter 6?
4. Mick tells DeShawn and who that he can no longer give them a ride home in Part 3, Chapter 12?
5. What does Mick's high school switch over to in Part 3, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Mick to begin taking steroids in Part 4, Chapter 1? What risks does he face in doing so?
2. What gives Mick an opportunity to step up in the team in Part 2, Chapter 8? How does he feel about the opportunity?
3. How does Mick's father prepare him for a life of football in Part 1, Chapter 2? How does Mick's interest develop?
4. What new responsibilities are given to Mick in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. How does the author introduce conflict in Part 3, Chapter 10?
6. What are some examples of foreshadowing in Part 2, Chapter 2?
7. What is Mick's meeting with Peter Volz like in Part 3, Chapter 13?
8. What title is Mick given in the team in Part 2, Chapter 7? How does he feel about his role?
9. What does Mick discover in Part 1, Chapter 7? How does this discovery make him feel?
10. How does Mick's character develop in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the biography and works of the author and the critical response of Gym Candy. When was the book published and what awards has it garnered? How does the biography of the author relate to the novel's setting and themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss acceptance to varsity team and Mick's expectations for the season in Part 2, Chapters 4-6. Where does Mick hope to be placed by the coaches? What is his placement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe stack injections and their history in athletics. What are stack injections composed of? What dangers does Mick face in taking them?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)