|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
2. China has how many "big" languages?
3. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
4. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
5. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Diamond use the Polynesian Islands as a test of his theory? What conclusions does Diamond get from his examination of these societies?
Essay Topic 2
How does Diamond explain the extinction of many large mammals around the world? What other theories have been proposed to explain this? Why does Diamond believe that these theories are not correct?
Essay Topic 3
How would you answer Yali's question: "Why is it that you white people developed so much cargo and brought it to New Guinea but we black people had little cargo of our own?" Do you think that Diamond missed any aspects in his answer to Yali's question?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)