|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
2. How many large mammals in Africa were suited to domestication?
3. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
4. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
5. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do large mammals matter to Diamond's theory? Why is domestication important? What factors determine which large mammals are suitable to be domesticated?
Essay Topic 2
Why are some native, wild plants domesticated? Trace the development of domesticating plants, including identifying those wild plants that were among the first domesticated plants.
Essay Topic 3
How do civilizations and denser populations lead to epidemics? What are epidemics? What effects do they have on societies?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)