|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
2. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
3. How many large mammals in Africa were suited to domestication?
4. Once something is invented, what must happen?
5. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Diamond use the Polynesian Islands as a test of his theory? What conclusions does Diamond get from his examination of these societies?
Essay Topic 2
What influences a hunter-gatherer society to become food producers? What is surprising about this transition?
Essay Topic 3
Diamond suggests that more research needs to be done on how cultural factors influenced the distribution of wealth and power. How might culture affect the development of these differences? Do you think that culture plays more or less of a role than the environment in this distribution?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)