|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
2. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
3. Why is food production important for inventions?
4. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
5. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes some large mammals able to be domesticated and others unable? What large mammals have been domesticated? What advantages do they give to societies?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Diamond use the Polynesian Islands as a test of his theory? What conclusions does Diamond get from his examination of these societies?
Essay Topic 3
Why do large mammals matter to Diamond's theory? Why is domestication important? What factors determine which large mammals are suitable to be domesticated?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)