|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ability of societies to have non-food producing specialists, like soldiers, was due to what?
2. Which of the following did domestic livestock not provide people?
3. What weapon was used by the Incas?
4. How do archeologists date food production?
5. Independent food production began in how many places?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did humans choose which plants to begin domesticating?
2. What advantages did the Bantu have over other African groups?
3. How do inventions spread between societies?
4. How does the shift to sedentary lifestyles change societies?
5. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
6. Why does Diamond object to many of the traditional views on the uneven distribution of wealth and power?
7. Fourteen species of large mammals were domesticated. Why weren't other species?
8. The expansion of humans had what effect on the natural world?
9. How does food production relate to a greater population?
10. How did the ability to use domesticated plants and animals differentiate the Polynesian societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
Essay Topic 2
Why did the societies in New Guinea and Australia develop at different times? What differences were present between these areas?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)