|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Giant Leap Forward was which of the following?
2. What is Diamond's primary question in Chapter 7?
3. The Maori and Moriori had what in common?
4. The Moriori lived as which of the following?
5. Most domesticated mammals have been what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Diamond argue that wealth and power are distributed unevenly across the globe?
2. What are the three basic strategies for writing systems?
3. The expansion of humans had what effect on the natural world?
4. Why did societies in New Guinea and Australia develop differently?
5. Where did food production develop independently?
6. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
7. What made the spread of Austronesian culture possible?
8. How does the shift to sedentary lifestyles change societies?
9. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
10. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
Essay Topic 2
How did food production affect societies? What advantages did societies that had food production gain over societies that didn't?
Essay Topic 3
Diamond suggests that more research needs to be done on how cultural factors influenced the distribution of wealth and power. How might culture affect the development of these differences? Do you think that culture plays more or less of a role than the environment in this distribution?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)