|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was literacy important for the Spanish?
2. What crop was domesticated in Ethiopia before spreading around the globe?
3. People often assume that there are what type of differences between people living on different continents?
4. Groups who remained hunter-gatherers into the twentieth century lived in what types of areas?
5. Crops that began food production in an area are known as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Diamond believe that China was once more diverse than it is now?
2. How did the ability to use domesticated plants and animals differentiate the Polynesian societies?
3. Why is the axis of a continent important?
4. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
5. What is Diamond's objective in studying the societies of Polynesia?
6. How do inventions spread between societies?
7. What made the spread of Austronesian culture possible?
8. How did humans choose which plants to begin domesticating?
9. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
10. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Diamond explain the extinction of many large mammals around the world? What other theories have been proposed to explain this? Why does Diamond believe that these theories are not correct?
Essay Topic 2
What makes some large mammals able to be domesticated and others unable? What large mammals have been domesticated? What advantages do they give to societies?
Essay Topic 3
Why weren't Native Americans, Africans, and Aboriginal Australians the ones who conquered and killed Europeans and Asians? What factors lead to these groups being on the losing end rather than the winning one?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)