|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a non-food producing specialist?
2. Crops that began food production in an area are known as what?
3. What are "selfer" plants?
4. People in areas with a head start on food production gained what?
5. The Maori and Moriori had what in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Maori and the Moriori differ?
2. What made the spread of Austronesian culture possible?
3. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
4. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
5. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
6. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
7. Why did food production not occur earlier in history?
8. How do inventions spread between societies?
9. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
10. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do civilizations and denser populations lead to epidemics? What are epidemics? What effects do they have on societies?
Essay Topic 2
What does Diamond believe led to the unequal distribution of wealth and power in the world? Do you agree or disagree with his explanation? Do you think that he is missing any aspects?
Essay Topic 3
How would you answer Yali's question: "Why is it that you white people developed so much cargo and brought it to New Guinea but we black people had little cargo of our own?" Do you think that Diamond missed any aspects in his answer to Yali's question?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)