|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
2. The arrival of founder crops enabled local populations to become what?
3. At 11,000 B.C., which continent was most likely to develop quickly?
4. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
5. Which location did not see a mass extinction of large mammals that was as large as other locations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four different types of societies that Diamond discusses?
2. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
3. How did the Maori and the Moriori differ?
4. What are the four linguistic families found in China?
5. Why is the axis of a continent important?
6. What are some reasons why hunter-gatherers would adopt food production?
7. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
8. What is one new piece of information that has come to light since Diamond's work was first published?
9. How are seeds dispersed?
10. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you answer Yali's question: "Why is it that you white people developed so much cargo and brought it to New Guinea but we black people had little cargo of our own?" Do you think that Diamond missed any aspects in his answer to Yali's question?
Essay Topic 2
How does Diamond explain the extinction of many large mammals around the world? What other theories have been proposed to explain this? Why does Diamond believe that these theories are not correct?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)