|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some people feel that explaining why one group dominates another does what?
2. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
3. Humans developed on what continent?
4. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
5. Why were domesticated plants able to spread from the Fertile Crescent to nearby areas more easily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three basic strategies for writing systems?
2. How did the Maori and the Moriori differ?
3. What are several stages in the development of plant domestication? Which plants were domesticated in each stage?
4. How did leaders of kleptocracies gain support for their systems?
5. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
6. Why does Diamond argue that wealth and power are distributed unevenly across the globe?
7. What advantages did the Bantu have over other African groups?
8. How do inventions spread between societies?
9. Why does Diamond object to many of the traditional views on the uneven distribution of wealth and power?
10. Why does Diamond believe that China was once more diverse than it is now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Diamond believe led to the unequal distribution of wealth and power in the world? Do you agree or disagree with his explanation? Do you think that he is missing any aspects?
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
Essay Topic 3
What makes some large mammals able to be domesticated and others unable? What large mammals have been domesticated? What advantages do they give to societies?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)