|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the Polynesian islands settled?
2. What axis is most conducive to the spread of food production?
3. Which of the following is a non-food producing specialist?
4. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
5. Why did the transition to food production not happen earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the domestication of animals give some societies an advantage?
2. Infectious diseases that become epidemics tend to share what characteristics?
3. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
4. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
5. Why does Diamond think inventions occur?
6. Fourteen species of large mammals were domesticated. Why weren't other species?
7. How did leaders of kleptocracies gain support for their systems?
8. What is surprising about where food production developed early?
9. Why is the axis of a continent important?
10. How does the shift to sedentary lifestyles change societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influences a hunter-gatherer society to become food producers? What is surprising about this transition?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the other theories that try to explain the differing development of societies? How does Diamond refute these theories? Why does he believe that they are not correct?
Essay Topic 3
How do civilizations and denser populations lead to epidemics? What are epidemics? What effects do they have on societies?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)