|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor meant that population could grow?
2. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
3. What effect did infectious diseases have on the encounter between the Spanish and Incas?
4. Independent food production appears to have begun where?
5. Thirteen of the fourteen large domesticated mammals are native to which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one other explanation (different than Diamond's) to explain the uneven distribution of wealth and power.
2. What advantages did the Spanish have over the Incas?
3. What are some reasons why hunter-gatherers would adopt food production?
4. How do historical sciences differ from non-historical sciences?
5. Why was a north-south axis a disadvantage in the domestication of plants?
6. What advantages did the Bantu have over other African groups?
7. How does the shift to sedentary lifestyles change societies?
8. Why were Europeans able to conquer Africans according to Diamond?
9. What does Diamond argue determined when a group would adopt food production?
10. Why does Diamond think inventions occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Diamond use the Polynesian Islands as a test of his theory? What conclusions does Diamond get from his examination of these societies?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the axis of a continent important? Use one continent to show how its axis is either an advantage or a disadvantage.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the other theories that try to explain the differing development of societies? How does Diamond refute these theories? Why does he believe that they are not correct?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)