|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Independent food production began in how many places?
2. Independent food production appears to have begun where?
3. What is a factor that influenced a group to adopt agriculture?
4. What argument about the mass extinction of large mammals does Diamond argue against?
5. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did leaders of kleptocracies gain support for their systems?
2. What is Diamond's objective in studying the societies of Polynesia?
3. Why do some scholars argue that Europeans expanded and conquered others but China did not?
4. What advantages did the Spanish have over the Incas?
5. What are the four different types of societies that Diamond discusses?
6. The expansion of humans had what effect on the natural world?
7. Why is the axis of a continent important?
8. Why did societies in New Guinea and Australia develop differently?
9. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
10. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the axis of a continent important? Use one continent to show how its axis is either an advantage or a disadvantage.
Essay Topic 3
Why are some native, wild plants domesticated? Trace the development of domesticating plants, including identifying those wild plants that were among the first domesticated plants.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)