|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which location did not see a mass extinction of large mammals that was as large as other locations?
2. Some people argue that examining domination leads to what type of focus?
3. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
4. When did the history of humans begin?
5. What does Diamond seek to explain in his research?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
2. Why was a north-south axis a disadvantage in the domestication of plants?
3. Why does Diamond argue that wealth and power are distributed unevenly across the globe?
4. Why did Eurasia have an advantage in the domestication of animals?
5. Why did food production not occur earlier in history?
6. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
7. How did the ability to use domesticated plants and animals differentiate the Polynesian societies?
8. Why did societies in New Guinea and Australia develop differently?
9. Why does Diamond believe that a shift in climate is not the best explanation for the mass extinctions of animals?
10. How did leaders of kleptocracies gain support for their systems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the axis of a continent important? Use one continent to show how its axis is either an advantage or a disadvantage.
Essay Topic 2
Diamond suggests that more research needs to be done on how cultural factors influenced the distribution of wealth and power. How might culture affect the development of these differences? Do you think that culture plays more or less of a role than the environment in this distribution?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does population growth have on societies? What advantages did societies gain as their population grew?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)