|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
2. What was one factor in the differing developments in the timing of food production?
3. Groups tended to turn to food production after what happened?
4. Almonds were found in which person's tomb?
5. Which mammal did the Spanish have that the Incas did not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do inventions spread between societies?
2. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
3. How did leaders of kleptocracies gain support for their systems?
4. What are the three basic strategies for writing systems?
5. What are some reasons why hunter-gatherers would adopt food production?
6. What are the four different types of societies that Diamond discusses?
7. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
8. Why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important according to Diamond?
9. What made the spread of Austronesian culture possible?
10. Why did societies in New Guinea and Australia develop differently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the axis of a continent important? Use one continent to show how its axis is either an advantage or a disadvantage.
Essay Topic 2
What does Diamond believe led to the unequal distribution of wealth and power in the world? Do you agree or disagree with his explanation? Do you think that he is missing any aspects?
Essay Topic 3
What effect does population growth have on societies? What advantages did societies gain as their population grew?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)