|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
2. What was needed for a society to become involved in food production?
3. Which of the following is not an area very suitable for food production?
4. One argument that people have made is that what stimulated development in Western Europe?
5. Some people have argued that those living in warm, humid climates were inhibited in their development by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are several stages in the development of plant domestication? Which plants were domesticated in each stage?
2. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
3. What misconceptions exist about the transition from hunter-gatherers to food producers?
4. Why does Diamond believe that China was once more diverse than it is now?
5. Where did food production develop independently?
6. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
7. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
8. Did hunter-gatherers adopt the crops and agriculture from neighboring groups or did invaders bring with them the knowledge and crops?
9. What are some reasons why hunter-gatherers would adopt food production?
10. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas? Why was this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What advantages did writing give a society? What was early writing typically used for? Using an example, show how writing gave one society an advantage over another.
Essay Topic 2
How did food production affect societies? What advantages did societies that had food production gain over societies that didn't?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the axis of a continent important? Use one continent to show how its axis is either an advantage or a disadvantage.
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)