|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ability of societies to have non-food producing specialists, like soldiers, was due to what?
2. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
3. Because of its axis, food production spread more rapidly in which of the following?
4. Wild almonds are what?
5. Which of the following is not an area very suitable for food production?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
2. Why did plant domestication and food production did not develop earlier in some of the ecologically better areas?
3. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
4. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
5. How do historical sciences differ from non-historical sciences?
6. What are some of the changes that have occurred in plants because of domestication?
7. What advantages did the Bantu have over other African groups?
8. Why did food production not occur earlier in history?
9. How is the production of food related to the advantages of guns, germs, and steel?
10. Fourteen species of large mammals were domesticated. Why weren't other species?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
Essay Topic 2
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
Essay Topic 3
How did food production affect societies? What advantages did societies that had food production gain over societies that didn't?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)