|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Domesticated animals need to have what type of disposition?
2. How do archeologists date food production?
3. Which mammal did the Spanish have that the Incas did not?
4. Groups tended to turn to food production after what happened?
5. How does Diamond feel about the traditional theories of human development?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eurasia have an advantage in the domestication of animals?
2. What are the four different types of societies that Diamond discusses?
3. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
4. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
5. How did the domestication of animals give some societies an advantage?
6. What does Diamond argue determined when a group would adopt food production?
7. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
8. What is Diamond's objective in studying the societies of Polynesia?
9. How does the shift to sedentary lifestyles change societies?
10. Why was a north-south axis a disadvantage in the domestication of plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diamond suggests that more research needs to be done on how cultural factors influenced the distribution of wealth and power. How might culture affect the development of these differences? Do you think that culture plays more or less of a role than the environment in this distribution?
Essay Topic 2
Why were Europeans able to conquer many of the groups in the Americas? Give specific examples of the advantages that the Europeans had and address why they had these advantages.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one society on which to focus. Does this society have an advantage over others in terms of guns, germs, and steel? Explain why the society either had an advantage or why it was disadvantaged in relation to other groups.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)