|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
2. What is true about hunting and gathering societies?
3. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
4. Which of the following is not poisonous in the wild?
5. Plant and animal domestication led to which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the ability to use domesticated plants and animals differentiate the Polynesian societies?
2. How does food production relate to a greater population?
3. What are some of the changes that have occurred in plants because of domestication?
4. Why did Australia not develop writing or complex societies as early as other groups, according to Diamond?
5. What is one other explanation (different than Diamond's) to explain the uneven distribution of wealth and power.
6. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
7. Why do some scholars argue that Europeans expanded and conquered others but China did not?
8. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
9. What is surprising about where food production developed early?
10. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do civilizations and denser populations lead to epidemics? What are epidemics? What effects do they have on societies?
Essay Topic 2
Why were Europeans able to conquer many of the groups in the Americas? Give specific examples of the advantages that the Europeans had and address why they had these advantages.
Essay Topic 3
How would you answer Yali's question: "Why is it that you white people developed so much cargo and brought it to New Guinea but we black people had little cargo of our own?" Do you think that Diamond missed any aspects in his answer to Yali's question?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)