|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Incas first encounter the Spanish?
2. What is true of the first farmers in many areas as compared to the hunters and gatherers?
3. The Maori and Moriori had what in common?
4. When were the Polynesian islands settled?
5. Which area was prominent in the development of weapons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did humans choose which plants to begin domesticating?
2. Why was a north-south axis a disadvantage in the domestication of plants?
3. What is surprising about where food production developed early?
4. Why did food production not occur earlier in history?
5. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
6. What are the four stages in how diseases are transferred from animals to humans?
7. Why is the axis of a continent important?
8. Why did Australia not develop writing or complex societies as early as other groups, according to Diamond?
9. How does food production relate to a greater population?
10. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
Essay Topic 2
How does Diamond explain the extinction of many large mammals around the world? What other theories have been proposed to explain this? Why does Diamond believe that these theories are not correct?
Essay Topic 3
What influences a hunter-gatherer society to become food producers? What is surprising about this transition?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)