|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred between the Incas and Spanish forces?
2. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
3. Where did the Incas first encounter the Spanish?
4. What is typically necessary for a society to have non-food specialists beyond kings and bureaucrats?
5. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
2. What advantages did the Fertile Crescent have in domesticating plants?
3. How do inventions spread between societies?
4. Why does Diamond believe that China was once more diverse than it is now?
5. How does food production relate to a greater population?
6. What advantages did the Bantu have over other African groups?
7. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
8. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
9. Why does Diamond object to many of the traditional views on the uneven distribution of wealth and power?
10. Why did infectious diseases give some groups an advantage over others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diamond suggests that more research needs to be done on how cultural factors influenced the distribution of wealth and power. How might culture affect the development of these differences? Do you think that culture plays more or less of a role than the environment in this distribution?
Essay Topic 2
How did food production affect societies? What advantages did societies that had food production gain over societies that didn't?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)