|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
2. Why were early crops chosen by farmers?
3. What weapon was used by the Incas?
4. Thirteen of the fourteen large domesticated mammals are native to which area?
5. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the developments happen later in the Americas than in Eurasia?
2. What does Diamond argue determined when a group would adopt food production?
3. What is Diamond's objective in studying the societies of Polynesia?
4. Why were Europeans able to conquer Africans according to Diamond?
5. What is one other explanation (different than Diamond's) to explain the uneven distribution of wealth and power.
6. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
7. Where did writing develop and what was it like?
8. What was the development of humans like before the Great Leap Forward?
9. What is surprising about where food production developed early?
10. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do large mammals matter to Diamond's theory? Why is domestication important? What factors determine which large mammals are suitable to be domesticated?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the other theories that try to explain the differing development of societies? How does Diamond refute these theories? Why does he believe that they are not correct?
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages that the Fertile Crescent has that allowed it to be the one of the earliest sites of development? How do these advantages relate to Europe's advantages?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)