|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
(a) 6,000 B.C.
(b) 100 A.D.
(c) 8,000 B.C.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
2. Some people feel that explaining why one group dominates another does what?
(a) Creates more questions
(b) Justifies the domination
(c) Complicates race relations
(d) Makes individuals mad
3. When were the Polynesian islands settled?
(a) 1200 B.C. to around A.D. 1000
(b) 10,000 B.C. to 5000 B.C.
(c) A. D. 1200 to A.D. 1800
(d) 5000 B.C. to 3000 B.C.
4. Thirteen of the fourteen large domesticated mammals are native to which area?
(a) The Americas
5. Why were early crops chosen by farmers?
(a) They were already edible
(b) They gave low yields in the wild
(c) They grew slowly
(d) They were not able to be stored
Short Answer Questions
1. When did independent food production begin?
2. Which of the following did domestic livestock not provide people?
3. All crops began as what?
4. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
5. What was needed for a society to become involved in food production?
Short Essay Questions
1. The expansion of humans had what effect on the natural world?
2. How did the ability to use domesticated plants and animals differentiate the Polynesian societies?
3. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
4. What happened in the encounter between the Incas and the Spanish?
5. What are some areas where food production didn't develop early on but the environment is ecologically suited to food production?
6. Fourteen species of large mammals were domesticated. Why weren't other species?
7. Why does Diamond believe that China was once more diverse than it is now?
8. Why did Eurasia have an advantage in the domestication of animals?
9. What is one new piece of information that has come to light since Diamond's work was first published?
10. What is Diamond's objective in studying the societies of Polynesia?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)