|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were early crops chosen by farmers?
(a) They grew slowly
(b) They were not able to be stored
(c) They gave low yields in the wild
(d) They were already edible
2. When did the history of humans begin?
(a) 7 million years ago
(b) 15 million years ago
(c) 1 million years ago
(d) 2 thousand years ago
3. The ability of societies to have non-food producing specialists, like soldiers, was due to what?
(a) A capitalist society
(b) Large populations
(c) The ability to store food
(d) The ability to conquer other groups
4. Plants like olives, figs and dates were domesticated around what time?
(a) 4,000 B.C.
(b) 8,000 B.C.
(c) 1,000 B.C.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
5. What animal was domesticated in southwest Asia?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the early stages of food production, people did which of the following?
2. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
3. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
4. What was one factor in the differing developments in the timing of food production?
5. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the greater Polynesian area like in terms of the environments available?
2. Why was a north-south axis a disadvantage in the domestication of plants?
3. Where does Diamond say more research needs to be done?
4. Why does Diamond believe that a shift in climate is not the best explanation for the mass extinctions of animals?
5. How did the domestication of animals give some societies an advantage?
6. How did the Maori and the Moriori differ?
7. Why did societies in New Guinea and Australia develop differently?
8. What are some of the changes that have occurred in plants because of domestication?
9. Why was writing an advantage to the groups that had it?
10. Infectious diseases that become epidemics tend to share what characteristics?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)