|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(a) The southwest
2. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
3. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(d) Natural selection
4. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) Differences in wild plant distribution
(b) The intelligence of groups
(c) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
(d) The relative isolation of people
5. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(d) Native Americans
6. The Americas have what type of axis?
7. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) The lack of epidemics
(b) Better watercraft
(c) Superior tools and weapons
(d) Denser populations
8. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) Organizing societies by biological race
(c) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(d) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
9. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
10. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
11. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Superior intelligence
(b) Perceived need
(c) Greater creativity
(d) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
12. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(b) The environment
13. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(d) "Outrigger" canoes
14. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
(a) Historical sciences more concerned with proximate and ultimate causes
(b) Historical sciences are less complicated with prediction
(c) Historical sicences have an easier time with finding cause and effect
(d) Historical sciences have fewer
15. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
2. What are the smallest societies known as?
3. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
4. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
5. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)