|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
2. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
3. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
4. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
5. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
(b) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
(c) The inventor must patent the invention.
(d) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
6. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(b) Fertile soils
(c) The dry conditions on the continent
(d) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
7. Africa has what type of axis?
8. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
(a) Historical sciences are less complicated with prediction
(b) Historical sciences have fewer
(c) Historical sicences have an easier time with finding cause and effect
(d) Historical sciences more concerned with proximate and ultimate causes
9. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(b) Phonetic signs
10. How many "little" languages does China have?
11. How many basic writing systems exist?
12. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(c) Natural selection
13. How many large mammals in Africa were suited to domestication?
14. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) The corporate world
(b) The economic system
(c) The retail industry
(d) Preschool education
15. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
(b) Organizing societies by biological race
(c) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(d) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
2. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
3. When was Diamond's work first published?
4. China has how many "big" languages?
5. Where did writing develop?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)