|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
(b) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(c) A more complex, centralized government
(d) Decentralized food production
2. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How intelligence differences influence development
(b) How cultural differences influence development
(c) How biological differences influence development
(d) How racial differences influence development
3. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
(a) Historical sciences more concerned with proximate and ultimate causes
(b) Historical sicences have an easier time with finding cause and effect
(c) Historical sciences have fewer
(d) Historical sciences are less complicated with prediction
4. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
5. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(c) "Outrigger" canoes
6. The Americas have what type of axis?
7. Africa has what type of axis?
8. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(d) The environment
9. Where did writing develop?
10. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) Organizing societies by biological race
(c) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(d) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
11. How do inventions spread?
(a) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
(b) Societies are forced to use an invention.
(c) Through gift-giving practices
(d) Inventions don't typically spread.
12. How many "little" languages does China have?
13. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(a) The southwest
14. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
15. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A large, sedentary population
(b) A small population
(c) A hunter-gatherer society
(d) Bad sanitation
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
2. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
3. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
4. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
5. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)