|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Denser populations
(b) Better watercraft
(c) Superior tools and weapons
(d) The lack of epidemics
2. Why is food production important for inventions?
(a) People had the energy to create.
(b) It allowed people to be nomadic and spread inventions.
(c) It allows for a sedentary life.
(d) People did not get diseases which stopped inventions.
3. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
4. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(b) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(c) These societies invented more items than other societies
(d) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
5. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(d) Native Americans
6. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) Organizing societies by biological race
(c) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
(d) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
7. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
8. How many basic writing systems exist?
9. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
10. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
(a) A wood pounder
(b) A hammer
(c) A tree downer
(d) A bark beater
11. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) A more complex, centralized government
(b) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(c) Decentralized food production
(d) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
12. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) The economic system
(b) The retail industry
(c) Preschool education
(d) The corporate world
13. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
14. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
15. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) Bad sanitation
(b) A small population
(c) A large, sedentary population
(d) A hunter-gatherer society
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
2. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
3. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
4. Africa has what type of axis?
5. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)