|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(b) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
(c) Fertile soils
(d) The dry conditions on the continent
2. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(b) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(c) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(d) These societies invented more items than other societies
3. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
(a) Human history
4. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
5. Africa has what type of axis?
6. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
(c) New Guinea
7. How do inventions spread?
(a) Through gift-giving practices
(b) Inventions don't typically spread.
(c) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
(d) Societies are forced to use an invention.
8. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Denser populations
(b) The lack of epidemics
(c) Superior tools and weapons
(d) Better watercraft
9. How many basic writing systems exist?
10. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) More diverse than we tend to think
(b) Less populous than Australia
(c) Racially inferior to Europeans
(d) Very homogeneous
11. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
(a) In areas where food production was just beginning
(b) In isolated areas with small populations
(c) In nomadic societies
(d) In large productive regions with large human populations
12. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
(a) Australia communicated frequently with others who had these technologies.
(b) They had a larger population than other continents.
(c) The groups in Australia were very cohesive.
(d) Australia was isolated from other societies.
13. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
14. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(a) Natural selection
15. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A small population
(b) Bad sanitation
(c) A large, sedentary population
(d) A hunter-gatherer society
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
2. What was early writing used for primarily?
3. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
4. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
5. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)