|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Writing human history
(b) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
(d) Communicating with other societies
2. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(b) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
(c) A more complex, centralized government
(d) Decentralized food production
3. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(c) Natural selection
4. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) The lack of epidemics
(b) Superior tools and weapons
(c) Denser populations
(d) Better watercraft
5. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
6. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
7. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) Denser populations
(b) More intelligent people
(c) The domestication of large mammals
(d) Sparser populations
8. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(c) The environment
9. Diseases that become epidemics infect which group?
10. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(c) "Outrigger" canoes
11. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
12. China has how many "big" languages?
13. Why is food production important for inventions?
(a) It allowed people to be nomadic and spread inventions.
(b) People had the energy to create.
(c) It allows for a sedentary life.
(d) People did not get diseases which stopped inventions.
14. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) The intelligence of groups
(b) The relative isolation of people
(c) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
(d) Differences in wild plant distribution
15. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
2. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
3. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
4. Africa has what type of axis?
5. Once something is invented, what must happen?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)