|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
2. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(b) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(c) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(d) These societies invented more items than other societies
3. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
4. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
(a) Australia communicated frequently with others who had these technologies.
(b) The groups in Australia were very cohesive.
(c) Australia was isolated from other societies.
(d) They had a larger population than other continents.
5. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
6. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
(c) Human history
7. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Racial superiority
(b) Accidents of geography
(d) Superior weapons
8. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) The retail industry
(b) The economic system
(c) Preschool education
(d) The corporate world
9. How do inventions spread?
(a) Societies are forced to use an invention.
(b) Inventions don't typically spread.
(c) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
(d) Through gift-giving practices
10. Africa has what type of axis?
11. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
12. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
(a) Historical sciences have fewer
(b) Historical sicences have an easier time with finding cause and effect
(c) Historical sciences are less complicated with prediction
(d) Historical sciences more concerned with proximate and ultimate causes
13. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
(c) Communicating with other societies
(d) Writing human history
14. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(d) The southwest
15. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-rich cows
(b) Protein-poor corn
(c) Protein-rich rice
(d) Protein-poor wheat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
2. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
3. The Americas have what type of axis?
4. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
5. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)