|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
2. When was Diamond's work first published?
3. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Greater creativity
(b) Perceived need
(c) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(d) Superior intelligence
4. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
5. China has how many "big" languages?
6. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(b) "Outrigger" canoes
7. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
8. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
9. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) The corporate world
(b) Preschool education
(c) The retail industry
(d) The economic system
10. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
11. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
12. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A hunter-gatherer society
(b) A small population
(c) A large, sedentary population
(d) Bad sanitation
13. How many "little" languages does China have?
14. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
(b) Those that could hunt large mammals
(c) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(d) Those with large, native domesticated animals
15. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) Sparser populations
(b) More intelligent people
(c) Denser populations
(d) The domestication of large mammals
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did writing develop?
2. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
3. How many basic writing systems exist?
4. Why do pockets of the three language families other than Sino-Tibetan exist in China?
5. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)