|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(b) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(c) Organizing societies by biological race
(d) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
2. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-poor corn
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-poor wheat
(d) Protein-rich cows
3. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
4. Why is food production important for inventions?
(a) It allows for a sedentary life.
(b) People had the energy to create.
(c) People did not get diseases which stopped inventions.
(d) It allowed people to be nomadic and spread inventions.
5. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
6. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
7. China has how many "big" languages?
8. Africa has what type of axis?
9. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(b) Those that could hunt large mammals
(c) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
(d) Those with large, native domesticated animals
10. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
(b) The inventor must patent the invention.
(c) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
(d) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
11. How do inventions spread?
(a) Inventions don't typically spread.
(b) Through gift-giving practices
(c) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
(d) Societies are forced to use an invention.
12. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
13. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
14. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
15. Which region had many of the same advantages as Eurasia?
(c) North America
Short Answer Questions
1. How many large mammals in Africa were suited to domestication?
2. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
3. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
4. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
5. The Americas have what type of axis?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)