|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-rich cows
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-poor corn
(d) Protein-poor wheat
2. How are historical sciences different from non-historical sciences?
(a) Historical sciences more concerned with proximate and ultimate causes
(b) Historical sciences are less complicated with prediction
(c) Historical sicences have an easier time with finding cause and effect
(d) Historical sciences have fewer
3. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(b) Racial superiority
(c) Superior weapons
(d) Accidents of geography
4. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(c) Native Americans
5. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
6. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Better watercraft
(b) Superior tools and weapons
(c) The lack of epidemics
(d) Denser populations
7. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
8. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A hunter-gatherer society
(b) Bad sanitation
(c) A large, sedentary population
(d) A small population
9. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(c) In Mongolia
(d) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
10. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Fertile soils
(b) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(c) The dry conditions on the continent
(d) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
11. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
12. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How racial differences influence development
(b) How biological differences influence development
(c) How cultural differences influence development
(d) How intelligence differences influence development
13. How many basic writing systems exist?
14. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why the Americas were conquered
(b) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(c) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(d) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
15. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) Less populous than Australia
(b) More diverse than we tend to think
(c) Very homogeneous
(d) Racially inferior to Europeans
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
2. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
3. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
4. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
5. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)