|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(a) Places were science was a major focus
(b) Places where food production arose
(d) Capitalist societies
2. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Racial superiority
(b) Superior weapons
(c) Accidents of geography
3. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
(b) The inventor must patent the invention.
(c) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
(d) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
4. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
5. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
6. What are the smallest societies known as?
7. How many basic writing systems exist?
8. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Perceived need
(b) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(c) Superior intelligence
(d) Greater creativity
9. How many "little" languages does China have?
10. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
11. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
12. China has how many "big" languages?
13. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
(c) Human history
14. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Writing human history
(b) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
(c) Communicating with other societies
15. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(c) Natural selection
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
2. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
3. Why do pockets of the three language families other than Sino-Tibetan exist in China?
4. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
5. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)