|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How racial differences influence development
(b) How biological differences influence development
(c) How intelligence differences influence development
(d) How cultural differences influence development
2. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-rich cows
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-poor wheat
(d) Protein-poor corn
3. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
4. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(b) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(c) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(d) These societies invented more items than other societies
5. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
6. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) The intelligence of groups
(b) The relative isolation of people
(c) Differences in wild plant distribution
(d) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
7. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
8. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
9. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(c) Organizing societies by biological race
(d) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
10. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
(b) Decentralized food production
(c) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(d) A more complex, centralized government
11. How many basic writing systems exist?
12. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(b) Accidents of geography
(c) Racial superiority
(d) Superior weapons
13. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
14. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(c) Why the Americas were conquered
(d) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
15. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Superior intelligence
(b) Greater creativity
(c) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(d) Perceived need
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
2. When was Diamond's work first published?
3. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
4. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
5. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)