|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
(a) The Americas were less isolated
(b) Eurasia had fewer wild plants suitable for domestication
(c) Humans had lived in Europe longer
(d) The Americas had more large mammals available
2. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
3. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(a) Phonetic signs
4. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
5. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
6. Where did writing develop?
7. China has how many "big" languages?
8. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
9. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(b) Natural selection
10. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
(b) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(c) Decentralized food production
(d) A more complex, centralized government
11. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(b) The environment
12. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(b) These societies invented more items than other societies
(c) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(d) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
13. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
(b) The inventor must patent the invention.
(c) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
(d) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
14. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(d) Native Americans
15. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
Short Answer Questions
1. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
2. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
3. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
4. The Americas have what type of axis?
5. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)