|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many basic writing systems exist?
2. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(a) Capitalist societies
(c) Places where food production arose
(d) Places were science was a major focus
3. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(a) Phonetic signs
4. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) Racially inferior to Europeans
(b) Less populous than Australia
(c) More diverse than we tend to think
(d) Very homogeneous
5. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
6. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
7. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
8. How do inventions spread?
(a) Societies are forced to use an invention.
(b) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
(c) Through gift-giving practices
(d) Inventions don't typically spread.
9. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
10. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(b) Those that could hunt large mammals
(c) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
(d) Those with large, native domesticated animals
11. Why do pockets of the three language families other than Sino-Tibetan exist in China?
(a) They conquered the Sino-Tibetan speakers from 2000 B.C. to 1500 A.D.
(b) The areas that they are in are frequented by Indonesian traders.
(c) Sino-Tibetan speakers replaced or absorbed the other language areas.
(d) Scholars kept the language families alive in the monasteries.
12. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
13. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
14. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) In Mongolia
(c) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(d) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
15. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(b) "Outrigger" canoes
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
2. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
3. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
4. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
5. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)