|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(b) "Outrigger" canoes
2. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
(b) Writing human history
(d) Communicating with other societies
3. How do inventions spread?
(a) Societies are forced to use an invention.
(b) Inventions don't typically spread.
(c) Through gift-giving practices
(d) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
4. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
5. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) Very homogeneous
(b) More diverse than we tend to think
(c) Racially inferior to Europeans
(d) Less populous than Australia
6. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(b) Phonetic signs
7. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) In Mongolia
(c) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(d) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
8. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(b) Places were science was a major focus
(c) Places where food production arose
(d) Capitalist societies
9. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Denser populations
(b) Better watercraft
(c) Superior tools and weapons
(d) The lack of epidemics
10. The Americas have what type of axis?
11. What gave Europeans an advantage in information about the groups they encountered?
(b) Domesticated mammals
(c) Spies in other countries
(d) Speaking many different languages
12. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A small population
(b) A large, sedentary population
(c) A hunter-gatherer society
(d) Bad sanitation
13. What are the smallest societies known as?
14. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
(a) A hammer
(b) A tree downer
(c) A wood pounder
(d) A bark beater
15. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
2. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
3. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
4. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
5. Which region had many of the same advantages as Eurasia?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)