|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) More intelligent people
(b) Sparser populations
(c) Denser populations
(d) The domestication of large mammals
2. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(c) Organizing societies by biological race
(d) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
3. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Superior intelligence
(b) Greater creativity
(c) Perceived need
(d) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
4. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
(d) New Guinea
5. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
(a) In areas where food production was just beginning
(b) In isolated areas with small populations
(c) In nomadic societies
(d) In large productive regions with large human populations
6. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
7. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
8. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
9. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
(c) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(d) Why the Americas were conquered
10. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
11. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) More diverse than we tend to think
(b) Very homogeneous
(c) Less populous than Australia
(d) Racially inferior to Europeans
12. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
13. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How biological differences influence development
(b) How intelligence differences influence development
(c) How cultural differences influence development
(d) How racial differences influence development
14. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
(b) In Mongolia
(c) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(d) Only in China's large cities
15. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A large, sedentary population
(b) A hunter-gatherer society
(c) A small population
(d) Bad sanitation
Short Answer Questions
1. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
2. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
3. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
4. How do inventions spread?
5. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)