|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
2. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those with large, native domesticated animals
(b) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(c) Those that could hunt large mammals
(d) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
3. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
(a) A bark beater
(b) A hammer
(c) A tree downer
(d) A wood pounder
4. How many basic writing systems exist?
5. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Communicating with other societies
(b) Writing human history
(d) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
6. The Americas have what type of axis?
7. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) The dry conditions on the continent
(b) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(c) Fertile soils
(d) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
8. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) In Mongolia
(c) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
(d) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
9. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) Sparser populations
(b) Denser populations
(c) The domestication of large mammals
(d) More intelligent people
10. What gave Europeans an advantage in information about the groups they encountered?
(a) Spies in other countries
(b) Speaking many different languages
(d) Domesticated mammals
11. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
(a) Pathogens establish themselves in humans and the disease does not die out.
(b) Humans pick up the diseases from other humans.
(c) The major epidemic disease becomes confined to humans.
(d) Humans pick up germs and diseases from pets and domestic animals but the germs are still only passed from animal to human, not between humans.
12. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
13. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How racial differences influence development
(b) How biological differences influence development
(c) How intelligence differences influence development
(d) How cultural differences influence development
14. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
15. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
(b) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
(c) The inventor must patent the invention.
(d) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
2. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
3. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
4. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
5. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)