|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How racial differences influence development
(b) How intelligence differences influence development
(c) How cultural differences influence development
(d) How biological differences influence development
2. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(b) The environment
3. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
(a) Wild cards
(c) The knowledge that these aspects don't matter in history
(d) The ability to predict outcomes
4. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(c) The southwest
5. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(a) Places where food production arose
(b) Capitalist societies
(c) Places were science was a major focus
6. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
7. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
8. China has how many "big" languages?
9. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
(c) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(d) Why the Americas were conquered
10. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those that could hunt large mammals
(b) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(c) Those with large, native domesticated animals
(d) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
11. The Americas have what type of axis?
12. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(b) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
(c) The dry conditions on the continent
(d) Fertile soils
13. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
(c) New Guinea
14. Why do pockets of the three language families other than Sino-Tibetan exist in China?
(a) The areas that they are in are frequented by Indonesian traders.
(b) They conquered the Sino-Tibetan speakers from 2000 B.C. to 1500 A.D.
(c) Scholars kept the language families alive in the monasteries.
(d) Sino-Tibetan speakers replaced or absorbed the other language areas.
15. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
(c) Human history
Short Answer Questions
1. Diseases that become epidemics infect which group?
2. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
3. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
4. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
5. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)