Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many "little" languages does China have?
2. How many basic writing systems exist?
3. Where did writing develop?
4. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
5. When was Diamond's work first published?
6. What are the smallest societies known as?
7. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
(b) The inventor must patent the invention.
(c) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
(d) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
8. What was early writing used for primarily?
(a) Accountings of things like sheep and wool
(c) Writing human history
(d) Communicating with other societies
9. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A small population
(b) A hunter-gatherer society
(c) Bad sanitation
(d) A large, sedentary population
10. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-poor corn
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-poor wheat
(d) Protein-rich cows
11. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) Preschool education
(b) The economic system
(c) The corporate world
(d) The retail industry
12. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
(a) Eurasia had fewer wild plants suitable for domestication
(b) The Americas were less isolated
(c) The Americas had more large mammals available
(d) Humans had lived in Europe longer
13. China has how many "big" languages?
14. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Superior tools and weapons
(b) Denser populations
(c) Better watercraft
(d) The lack of epidemics
15. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(b) These societies invented more items than other societies
(c) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(d) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
2. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
3. Why do pockets of the three language families other than Sino-Tibetan exist in China?
4. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
5. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)