|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(b) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
(c) In Mongolia
(d) Only in China's large cities
2. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(c) The southwest
3. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(c) Phonetic signs
4. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
(c) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(d) Organizing societies by biological race
5. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) A more complex, centralized government
(b) Decentralized food production
(c) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(d) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
6. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) The domestication of large mammals
(b) Denser populations
(c) Sparser populations
(d) More intelligent people
7. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(b) These societies invented more items than other societies
(c) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(d) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
8. If knowledge brings power, what increases the power, according to Diamond?
9. What gave Europeans an advantage in information about the groups they encountered?
(b) Domesticated mammals
(c) Speaking many different languages
(d) Spies in other countries
10. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
11. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) The dry conditions on the continent
(b) Fertile soils
(c) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
(d) Too many plants that could be domesticated
12. Why did the developments occur later in the Americas that in Europe?
(a) The Americas were less isolated
(b) Humans had lived in Europe longer
(c) Eurasia had fewer wild plants suitable for domestication
(d) The Americas had more large mammals available
13. How many basic writing systems exist?
14. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
15. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
2. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
3. What are the smallest societies known as?
4. The Americas have what type of axis?
5. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)