|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) The lack of epidemics
(b) Superior tools and weapons
(c) Denser populations
(d) Better watercraft
2. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
(a) In isolated areas with small populations
(b) In large productive regions with large human populations
(c) In areas where food production was just beginning
(d) In nomadic societies
3. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
(b) New Guinea
4. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
5. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
(a) Humans pick up the diseases from other humans.
(b) Pathogens establish themselves in humans and the disease does not die out.
(c) Humans pick up germs and diseases from pets and domestic animals but the germs are still only passed from animal to human, not between humans.
(d) The major epidemic disease becomes confined to humans.
6. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
(b) Wild cards
(c) The knowledge that these aspects don't matter in history
(d) The ability to predict outcomes
7. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
(b) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(c) Fertile soils
(d) The dry conditions on the continent
8. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(c) Native Americans
9. When was Diamond's work first published?
10. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(a) Places were science was a major focus
(b) Places where food production arose
(d) Capitalist societies
11. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Racial superiority
(c) Accidents of geography
(d) Superior weapons
12. What gave Europeans an advantage in information about the groups they encountered?
(a) Domesticated mammals
(c) Speaking many different languages
(d) Spies in other countries
13. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(b) Phonetic signs
14. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) The relative isolation of people
(b) The intelligence of groups
(c) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
(d) Differences in wild plant distribution
15. The Americas have what type of axis?
Short Answer Questions
1. Recent research shows that modern Japanese people resulted from an agricultural expansion from where?
2. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
3. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
4. How many "little" languages does China have?
5. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)