|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(c) The environment
2. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-poor corn
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-rich cows
(d) Protein-poor wheat
3. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
4. Which of the following is not a major infectious disease?
5. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
(a) Frameworks for unrelated individuals to live together without killing each other
(b) A way to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor
(c) The ability to rid a society of evil spirits
(d) Organizing societies by biological race
6. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
7. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
(a) How cultural differences influence development
(b) How racial differences influence development
(c) How biological differences influence development
(d) How intelligence differences influence development
8. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) A hunter-gatherer society
(b) A large, sedentary population
(c) A small population
(d) Bad sanitation
9. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
(a) Humans pick up the diseases from other humans.
(b) The major epidemic disease becomes confined to humans.
(c) Humans pick up germs and diseases from pets and domestic animals but the germs are still only passed from animal to human, not between humans.
(d) Pathogens establish themselves in humans and the disease does not die out.
10. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Greater creativity
(b) Superior intelligence
(c) Perceived need
(d) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
11. The Americas have what type of axis?
12. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
13. Where did writing develop?
14. Why is food production important for inventions?
(a) It allows for a sedentary life.
(b) People had the energy to create.
(c) People did not get diseases which stopped inventions.
(d) It allowed people to be nomadic and spread inventions.
15. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
(c) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
(d) In Mongolia
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
2. How many basic writing systems exist?
3. Africa has what type of axis?
4. Once something is invented, what must happen?
5. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)