|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(c) Phonetic signs
2. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(a) Native Americans
3. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
(a) The retail industry
(b) Preschool education
(c) The corporate world
(d) The economic system
4. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
(a) Those with large, native domesticated animals
(b) Those with natural immunity to smallpox
(c) Those that could hunt large mammals
(d) Those with wild plants that could be domesticated
5. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
(a) Only in China's large cities
(b) Small enclaves from South China to Thailand
(c) In Mongolia
(d) In large cities from Thailand to Myanmar
6. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(b) The environment
7. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
8. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
(b) Why the Americas were conquered
(c) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(d) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
9. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-poor corn
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-rich cows
(d) Protein-poor wheat
10. Where did writing develop?
11. What was the biggest difference between the histories of Old World Europe and the New World Americas?
(a) Denser populations
(b) More intelligent people
(c) Sparser populations
(d) The domestication of large mammals
12. How many basic writing systems exist?
13. How many "little" languages does China have?
14. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
15. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the smallest societies known as?
2. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
3. How many large mammals in Africa were suited to domestication?
4. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
5. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)