|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
(a) Pathogens establish themselves in humans and the disease does not die out.
(b) The major epidemic disease becomes confined to humans.
(c) Humans pick up the diseases from other humans.
(d) Humans pick up germs and diseases from pets and domestic animals but the germs are still only passed from animal to human, not between humans.
2. Diamond looks at what type of conflict in China?
3. The main killers in Africa and the Americas came from where?
4. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
5. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
(a) In isolated areas with small populations
(b) In large productive regions with large human populations
(c) In areas where food production was just beginning
(d) In nomadic societies
6. Diamond argues that a science of what should be developed?
(d) Human history
7. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) Differences in wild plant distribution
(b) The relative isolation of people
(c) The intelligence of groups
(d) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
8. Which region had many of the same advantages as Eurasia?
(a) North America
9. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
10. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(c) The environment
11. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Fertile soils
(b) The dry conditions on the continent
(c) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(d) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
12. What did not help the spread of the Austronesian culture?
(a) Better watercraft
(b) Superior tools and weapons
(c) The lack of epidemics
(d) Denser populations
13. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Racial superiority
(b) Accidents of geography
(c) Superior weapons
14. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(b) The southwest
15. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-rich rice
(b) Protein-rich cows
(c) Protein-poor wheat
(d) Protein-poor corn
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
2. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
3. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
4. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
5. There has been some discussion of how Diamond's work might apply where?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)