|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Americas have what type of axis?
2. What gave Europeans an advantage in information about the groups they encountered?
(a) Domesticated mammals
(b) Speaking many different languages
(c) Spies in other countries
3. Where were the earliest known stone tools with ground edges found?
4. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Greater creativity
(b) Perceived need
(c) Superior intelligence
(d) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
5. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
(a) Wild cards
(b) The knowledge that these aspects don't matter in history
(c) The ability to predict outcomes
6. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(c) The environment
7. Africa is home to how many major human groups?
8. Which region had many of the same advantages as Eurasia?
(c) North America
9. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
(a) Protein-rich cows
(b) Protein-rich rice
(c) Protein-poor wheat
(d) Protein-poor corn
10. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
(b) These societies invented more items than other societies
(c) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(d) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
11. Where did technology grow the fastest according to Diamond?
(a) In nomadic societies
(b) In large productive regions with large human populations
(c) In areas where food production was just beginning
(d) In isolated areas with small populations
12. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(c) Why the Americas were conquered
(d) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
13. Who invented things like firearms and steel equipment?
14. Larger populations created the need for which of the following?
(a) A writing system beyond the alphabet
(b) Decentralized food production
(c) More nomadic populations who wouldn't compete for resources
(d) A more complex, centralized government
15. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
2. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
3. What was the source of power in New Guinea when food production arose?
4. Why did Australians not develop writing, more complex technologies, or more complex societies?
5. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)