|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not a disease that killed large number of peoples in the Americas?
2. Who had an advantage over many of the African societies?
3. Once something is invented, what must happen?
(a) The inventor must patent the invention.
(b) The inventor must convince society to make use of it.
(c) The inventor must keep people from copying the invention.
(d) The inventor must keep people away from the invention.
4. Recent research shows that crops from Mexico spread into eastern North America via an indirect route through where?
(a) The southwest
5. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(c) Why the Americas were conquered
(d) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
6. What is a stone tool or implement that an individual used to pound the fibrous bark of some trees into material that could be used for ropes, nets, and clothing?
(a) A hammer
(b) A wood pounder
(c) A bark beater
(d) A tree downer
7. Who introduced pottery, chickens, dogs, and pigs to New Guinea?
(d) Native Americans
8. The basic writing strategy employed by most people today is which of the following?
(a) Phonetic signs
9. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) Differences in wild plant distribution
(b) The relative isolation of people
(c) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
(d) The intelligence of groups
10. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
(a) The ability to predict outcomes
(b) Wild cards
(d) The knowledge that these aspects don't matter in history
11. How many basic writing systems exist?
12. Where did writing develop?
13. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Racial superiority
(b) Superior weapons
(c) Accidents of geography
14. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Superior intelligence
(b) Greater creativity
(c) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(d) Perceived need
15. What are the smallest societies known as?
Short Answer Questions
1. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
2. How do inventions spread?
3. What foods did people in the Americas depend on?
4. Which type of society uses a monopoly of force?
5. Diseases that become epidemics infect which group?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)