|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Americas have what type of axis?
2. Which region had many of the same advantages as Eurasia?
(c) North America
3. What is not a cause in the uneven distribution of wealth and power, according to Diamond?
(a) The relative isolation of people
(b) The intelligence of groups
(c) Differences in wild plant distribution
(d) The orientation of a continent on a particular axis
4. What does Diamond attribute the differences in development to?
(a) The environment
5. Chiefdoms disappeared in which century?
6. What is an discussion that has arisen since Diamond's work was first published?
(a) Why China didn't expand and conquer
(b) Why the differences are best explained by intelligence
(c) Why the Americas were conquered
(d) Why Europe didn't expand and conquer
7. Africa has what type of axis?
8. How do inventions spread?
(a) Societies are forced to use an invention.
(b) Inventions don't typically spread.
(c) Through gift-giving practices
(d) Societies see an invention and adopt it.
9. Cultural and individual idiosyncrasies throw what into the course of history?
(a) The knowledge that these aspects don't matter in history
(c) The ability to predict outcomes
(d) Wild cards
10. The language that did most of the conquering or "engulfing" in Africa was which of the following?
11. What is human's slowest defense against germs?
(d) Natural selection
12. Diamond argues that European conquest of Africa had nothing to do with what?
(a) Accidents of geography
(b) Racial superiority
(d) Superior weapons
13. When was Diamond's work first published?
14. What invention sped up the spread of plants and technologies in Polynesia?
(a) "Outrigger" canoes
15. Diamond argues that China is which of the following?
(a) Racially inferior to Europeans
(b) Less populous than Australia
(c) More diverse than we tend to think
(d) Very homogeneous
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Diamond believe that more research needs to be done?
2. Which societies were the most advantaged in Polynesia?
3. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
4. Archeological evidence links what early culture with later Pacific island cultures?
5. Australia was once joined together what what other land mass?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)