|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the early stages of food production, people did which of the following?
(a) Raised mainly cultivated crops
(b) Spent more time hunting than growing crops
(c) Collected wild food and raised cultivated ones
(d) Only raised cultivated crops
2. What is not one of the eight "founder" crops that started in the Fertile Crescent?
(a) Emmer wheat
3. How did farmers end up with plants that fulfilled their needs?
(a) Random choices
(b) Trial and error
(c) Historical studies
(d) Scientific analysis
4. The Moriori lived as which of the following?
(c) Hunters and gatherers
(d) Feudal lords
5. Because of its axis, food production spread more rapidly in which of the following?
(a) The Americas
(b) Southwest Asia
6. What argument about the mass extinction of large mammals does Diamond argue against?
(a) Climate change
(b) The arrival of humans
(c) Rapid diseases
(d) Killer bees
7. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
(a) How shared culture is important
(b) How war can end if groups decide to stop
(c) How environments shape societies
(d) How the loss of large mammals gave societies an advantage
8. How does Diamond feel about the traditional theories of human development?
(a) He believes that intelligence differences separated people.
(b) He feels that they are correct.
(c) He agrees with most of the argument but thinks that germs played a role.
(d) He feels that they are wrong.
9. What slows the spread of domesticated plants?
(a) The domestication of animals
(b) Similar climates
(c) Different climates
(d) Areas of farmland
10. Groups who remained hunter-gatherers into the twentieth century lived in what types of areas?
(a) Areas not fit for food production
(b) Areas where natural resources are abundant
(c) Areas near the equator
(d) Areas with lots of water
11. Wild almonds are what?
(a) Sweeter than domesticated
(c) Less bitter than domesticated
(d) Healthier than domesticated
12. What is not an advantage that the Fertile Crescent had in food production?
(a) The area was high in rainfall.
(b) It was in the Mediterranean climate.
(c) The area had cool summers and dry winters.
(d) There were many plants that could be domesticated.
13. Which of the following was not a domesticated animal?
14. How did Native American hunting and gathering societies become farmers?
(a) By acquiring Mexican crops
(b) By domesticating wild yaks
(c) By acquiring Canadian crops
(d) By conquering the Spanish
15. The Maori had what type of population?
(d) Locally dense
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the original fourteen large domesticated mammals became widespread across the globe?
2. At 11,000 B.C., which continent was most likely to develop quickly?
3. All people were once what?
4. Some people feel that explaining why one group dominates another does what?
5. Which of the following was one of the earliest crops?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)