|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these food items was domesticated most recently?
2. Which of the following did the inhabitants of the Polynesian islands not share?
(c) Sets of domesticated plants
3. Some people argue that examining domination leads to what type of focus?
4. What influenced life in the island societies of Polynesia?
(a) Trade with Europeans
(b) The tropical climate on all islands
(c) The closeness to North America
(d) The environment
5. What does Diamond seek to explain in his research?
(a) The creation of metal tools
(b) The domination of Western Europe
(c) The different rates of human development
(d) The spread of illnesses
6. Hunter-gatherers in southeastern Europe adopted crops and agriculture from where?
(a) Southwestern Asia
(d) North America
7. Which large mammal was found in Australia about the time humans arrived?
(a) Saber tooth tigers
(b) Giant kangaroo
(c) Wholly mammoth
8. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
(a) The environment in the area was too poor for farming.
(b) People weren't intelligent enough to figure it out.
(c) There was some problem with the wild plants available.
(d) There were no large mammals available.
9. What infectious disease played a role in the European conquest of the Americas?
10. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
(a) It was the biggest occupation on any continent.
(b) It was the first occupation on any continent.
(c) It required watercraft.
(d) It killed off the most large mammals.
11. What occurred between the Incas and Spanish forces?
(a) Many of the Spanish died from influenza
(b) The Incas fled to Peru
(c) The Incas killed all the Spanish soldiers
(d) The Spanish conquered and enslaved the Incas
12. Crops that began food production in an area are known as what?
(a) Founder crops
13. What weapon was used by the Incas?
(b) Iron plated ships
(c) Wooden clubs
(d) Steel swords
14. What crop was domesticated in Ethiopia before spreading around the globe?
(d) The coffee bean
15. What animal helped groups overthrow and conquer other groups?
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage did horses provide?
2. How many of the original fourteen large domesticated mammals became widespread across the globe?
3. Which of the following is a non-food producing specialist?
4. All people were once what?
5. What is not one of the eight "founder" crops that started in the Fertile Crescent?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)