|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these food items was domesticated most recently?
2. Thirteen of the fourteen large domesticated mammals are native to which area?
(a) The Americas
3. Which of the following did domestic livestock not provide people?
(b) Access to water
(c) Fertilizer for other plants
4. At 11,000 B.C., which continent was most likely to develop quickly?
(b) Any of them could have developed most quickly
(c) North America
5. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
(a) The environment in the area was too poor for farming.
(b) There was some problem with the wild plants available.
(c) People weren't intelligent enough to figure it out.
(d) There were no large mammals available.
6. The Giant Leap Forward was which of the following?
(a) Humans arriving in North America
(b) The first use of stone tools
(c) The development of water going crafts
(d) The first Home Sapiens
7. When did independent food production begin?
(a) 10,000 to 9000 B.C.
(b) 8500 to 8000 B.C.
(c) 2,000 to 100 B.C.
(d) 5,000 to 4,000 B.C.
8. What factor meant that population could grow?
(a) Fewer natural predators
(b) A nomadic lifestyle
(c) The availability of shelter materials
(d) The availability of more consumable calories
9. The Moriori lived as which of the following?
(c) Hunters and gatherers
(d) Feudal lords
10. What is a factor that influenced a group to adopt agriculture?
(a) The decline of wild foods
(b) The decrease in the population
(c) Agriculture made them more vulnerable to surrounding groups
(d) The decreased availability of domesticated plants
11. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
(a) They had longer growing periods before harvest.
(b) They were too easy to cultivate.
(c) They were rare.
(d) Their production was low.
12. What is not an advantage that the Fertile Crescent had in food production?
(a) There were many plants that could be domesticated.
(b) The area had cool summers and dry winters.
(c) The area was high in rainfall.
(d) It was in the Mediterranean climate.
13. The idea that there is a sharp divide between nomadic hunter-gatherers and sedentary food producers is what?
(a) A scientific guess
(b) Based on historical evidence
(c) True in all areas
(d) A misconception
14. What weapons did the Spanish have in their encounter with the Incas?
(a) Steel swords
(c) Wooden clubs
(d) Sling shots
15. What is true about hunting and gathering societies?
(a) All adopted agriculture as soon as introduced.
(b) Many did not adopt crops when they were introduced to them.
(c) They spent more time hunting than they did in farming.
(d) They worked more hours in each day than they did farming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which large mammal was found in Australia about the time humans arrived?
2. How many of the original fourteen large domesticated mammals became widespread across the globe?
3. Which of the following was one of the earliest crops?
4. Why did the transition to food production not happen earlier?
5. Wild almonds are what?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)