|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Studies have failed to show differences in what among people on different continents?
2. What influenced life in the island societies of Polynesia?
(a) The closeness to North America
(b) Trade with Europeans
(c) The environment
(d) The tropical climate on all islands
3. The Maori and Moriori had what in common?
(d) A government
4. Germs from what produced epidemics in Native American and Australian societies?
(b) Air-born organisms
(c) Contaminated water
(d) Domesticated animals
5. What was one of the biggest population shifts of all time?
(a) The conquest of Polynesia by Americans
(b) The conquest of Europe by Asians
(c) The conquest of the Americas by Europeans
(d) The conquest of Australia by Europeans
6. Why were the Europeans not affected by the infectious diseases that they brought to places like the Americas and Australia?
(a) They practiced better sanitation.
(b) They were genetically superior to other groups.
(c) They had already acquired immunity.
(d) They had a natural resistance to the diseases.
7. What allowed the Maori to have specialists and warriors as part of their society?
(a) Stored crop surpluses
(b) Greater intelligence
(c) A capitalist society
8. Independent food production began in how many places?
(a) Many places
(b) Only one place on each continent
(c) A few
(d) Only one
9. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
(a) 2500 B.C.
(b) 8000 B.C.
(c) 5000 B.C.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
10. What is a factor that influenced a group to adopt agriculture?
(a) The decline of wild foods
(b) The decrease in the population
(c) Agriculture made them more vulnerable to surrounding groups
(d) The decreased availability of domesticated plants
11. Strawberries are adapted to have seeds spread by what animals?
12. What does Diamond seek to explain in his research?
(a) The domination of Western Europe
(b) The different rates of human development
(c) The spread of illnesses
(d) The creation of metal tools
13. Which Spanish conquistador first encountered the Incas?
(a) Christopher Columbus
(b) Ferdinand Magellan
(c) Francis Drake
(d) Francisco Pizarro
14. What advantage did horses provide?
(a) Greater manueverability
(b) They were used as weapons
(c) They pulled the weapons faster than humans
(d) More packing room
15. What factor meant that population could grow?
(a) Fewer natural predators
(b) A nomadic lifestyle
(c) The availability of shelter materials
(d) The availability of more consumable calories
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
2. What is true about the greater Polynesian area?
3. Which of the following is not one of the fourteen large mammals that have been used in agriculture or war?
4. What infectious disease played a role in the European conquest of the Americas?
5. What weapons did the Spanish have in their encounter with the Incas?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)