|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Giant Leap Forward was which of the following?
(a) The first Home Sapiens
(b) The first use of stone tools
(c) Humans arriving in North America
(d) The development of water going crafts
2. Which location did not see a mass extinction of large mammals that was as large as other locations?
(b) New Guinea
(d) North America
3. People often assume that there are what type of differences between people living on different continents?
4. Germs from what produced epidemics in Native American and Australian societies?
(b) Domesticated animals
(c) Contaminated water
(d) Air-born organisms
5. What effect did infectious diseases have on the encounter between the Spanish and Incas?
(a) A smallpox vaccine was invented to save the Incas.
(b) Many Spanish died from the diseases.
(c) Many Incas died as a result of them.
(d) The Spanish horses were left weak.
6. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
(a) It required watercraft.
(b) It killed off the most large mammals.
(c) It was the first occupation on any continent.
(d) It was the biggest occupation on any continent.
7. In the early stages of food production, people did which of the following?
(a) Spent more time hunting than growing crops
(b) Raised mainly cultivated crops
(c) Only raised cultivated crops
(d) Collected wild food and raised cultivated ones
8. Crops that began food production in an area are known as what?
(b) Founder crops
9. What influenced life in the island societies of Polynesia?
(a) The environment
(b) The tropical climate on all islands
(c) The closeness to North America
(d) Trade with Europeans
10. Which of these areas does not have a climate similar to the Fertile Crescent?
(a) Western Europe
(b) Southwestern Australia
11. At 11,000 B.C., which continent was most likely to develop quickly?
(a) Any of them could have developed most quickly
(c) North America
12. Which of the following is not poisonous in the wild?
(a) Lima beans
13. What allowed the Maori to have specialists and warriors as part of their society?
(b) A capitalist society
(c) Greater intelligence
(d) Stored crop surpluses
14. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
(a) Their production was low.
(b) They were too easy to cultivate.
(c) They had longer growing periods before harvest.
(d) They were rare.
15. Diamond argues that wealth and power are distributed unevenly because what developed at different times?
(a) Technology and metal tools.
(b) Agriculture and education
(c) Agriculture and metal tools
(d) Technology and education
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were domesticated plants able to spread from the Fertile Crescent to nearby areas more easily?
2. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
3. Wild almonds are what?
4. One argument that people have made is that what stimulated development in Western Europe?
5. All people were once what?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)