|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Independent food production began in how many places?
(a) Only one place on each continent
(b) Only one
(c) A few
(d) Many places
2. What weapon was used by the Incas?
(a) Iron plated ships
(b) Wooden clubs
(c) Steel swords
3. Why was literacy important for the Spanish?
(a) It gave them more knowledge about the situation.
(b) They were able to read the King's demands.
(c) It allowed them to sail to the Americas.
(d) It increased their faith in God.
4. Strawberries are adapted to have seeds spread by what animals?
5. Where did things like agriculture and writing develop?
(a) The Arctic Circle
(b) Warm climates
(c) Western Europe
(d) North America
6. Which Spanish conquistador first encountered the Incas?
(a) Christopher Columbus
(b) Francis Drake
(c) Francisco Pizarro
(d) Ferdinand Magellan
7. Because of its axis, food production spread more rapidly in which of the following?
(b) The Americas
(d) Southwest Asia
8. The idea that there is a sharp divide between nomadic hunter-gatherers and sedentary food producers is what?
(a) Based on historical evidence
(b) True in all areas
(c) A scientific guess
(d) A misconception
9. What is true about the greater Polynesian area?
(a) The societies are all warrior societies.
(b) The islands are all large.
(c) The groups had no contact with each other.
(d) It is very diverse.
10. People in areas with a head start on food production gained what?
(a) A head start on hunting and gathering techniques
(b) Steel production
(c) A resistance to disease
(d) A head start on guns, germs, and steel
11. The Moriori lived as which of the following?
(a) Feudal lords
(d) Hunters and gatherers
12. Which area was prominent in the development of weapons?
(a) South America
(b) Western Europe
(c) North America
13. Which of the following was one of the earliest crops?
(a) Fruit trees
14. What is true of the first farmers in many areas as compared to the hunters and gatherers?
(a) They had fewer diseases
(b) They worked fewer hours
(c) They were better nourished
(d) They died younger
15. What infectious disease played a role in the European conquest of the Americas?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did independent food production begin?
2. How did Native American hunting and gathering societies become farmers?
3. What was one of the biggest population shifts of all time?
4. How did farmers end up with plants that fulfilled their needs?
5. What weapons did the Spanish have in their encounter with the Incas?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)