|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the transition to food production not happen earlier?
(a) Wild plants were not available
(b) Wild animals were widely available
(c) People were involved in creating weapons
(d) There were no tools for food production
2. People in the Fertile Crescent began food production around what time?
(a) 3,000 B.C.
(b) 12,500 B.C.
(c) 100 B.C.
(d) 8,500 B.C.
3. What slows the spread of domesticated plants?
(a) Areas of farmland
(b) The domestication of animals
(c) Different climates
(d) Similar climates
4. When did the history of humans begin?
(a) 2 thousand years ago
(b) 1 million years ago
(c) 7 million years ago
(d) 15 million years ago
5. Where did the Maori live?
(b) New Zealand
(d) Easter Island
6. What is true about hunting and gathering societies?
(a) They worked more hours in each day than they did farming.
(b) They spent more time hunting than they did in farming.
(c) Many did not adopt crops when they were introduced to them.
(d) All adopted agriculture as soon as introduced.
7. What is typically necessary for a society to have non-food specialists beyond kings and bureaucrats?
(d) Gas powered machinery
8. What was one of the biggest population shifts of all time?
(a) The conquest of Polynesia by Americans
(b) The conquest of Europe by Asians
(c) The conquest of Australia by Europeans
(d) The conquest of the Americas by Europeans
9. Which of the following did domestic livestock not provide people?
(b) Fertilizer for other plants
(d) Access to water
10. Which mammal did the Spanish have that the Incas did not?
11. Plant and animal domestication led to which of the following?
(a) Sparser societies
(b) Increased hunger
(c) Less warfare
(d) Denser human populations
12. Food production meant what to hunting and gathering societies?
(a) Fewer hours of labor each day
(b) More nomadic lifestyles
(c) More physical work
(d) Less physical demands
13. Which Spanish conquistador first encountered the Incas?
(a) Christopher Columbus
(b) Francis Drake
(c) Francisco Pizarro
(d) Ferdinand Magellan
14. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
(a) It was the biggest occupation on any continent.
(b) It required watercraft.
(c) It killed off the most large mammals.
(d) It was the first occupation on any continent.
15. Germs from what produced epidemics in Native American and Australian societies?
(a) Air-born organisms
(b) Contaminated water
(c) Domesticated animals
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did things like agriculture and writing develop?
2. Which of these areas does not have a climate similar to the Fertile Crescent?
3. The Moriori lived as which of the following?
4. Which of the following is not poisonous in the wild?
5. What factor meant that population could grow?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)