|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the transition to food production not happen earlier?
(a) Wild plants were not available
(b) There were no tools for food production
(c) Wild animals were widely available
(d) People were involved in creating weapons
2. Where did the Maori live?
(a) Easter Island
(b) New Zealand
3. People in the Fertile Crescent began food production around what time?
(a) 3,000 B.C.
(b) 12,500 B.C.
(c) 100 B.C.
(d) 8,500 B.C.
4. Which of the following was not a domesticated animal?
5. What is true of the first farmers in many areas as compared to the hunters and gatherers?
(a) They died younger
(b) They worked fewer hours
(c) They had fewer diseases
(d) They were better nourished
6. What does Diamond seek to explain in his research?
(a) The different rates of human development
(b) The domination of Western Europe
(c) The spread of illnesses
(d) The creation of metal tools
7. Which of the following did the inhabitants of the Polynesian islands not share?
(c) Sets of domesticated plants
8. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
(a) 5000 B.C.
(b) 10,000 B.C.
(c) 8000 B.C.
(d) 2500 B.C.
9. What are "selfer" plants?
(a) Plants that pollinate themselves
(b) Plants that contain a high level of Vitamin B
(c) Plants that can be started by people
(d) Plants that take more soil nutrients than other plants
10. Which of the following was one of the earliest crops?
(a) Fruit trees
11. What axis is most conducive to the spread of food production?
12. What animal helped groups overthrow and conquer other groups?
13. What was the importance of a written language?
(a) It reinforced the status of the royalty.
(b) People could communicate with each other.
(c) Laws could be known by everyone.
(d) Information could be spread more rapidly.
14. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
(a) Their production was low.
(b) They had longer growing periods before harvest.
(c) They were too easy to cultivate.
(d) They were rare.
15. Independent food production began in how many places?
(a) Many places
(b) A few
(c) Only one
(d) Only one place on each continent
Short Answer Questions
1. Strawberries are adapted to have seeds spread by what animals?
2. What was needed for a society to become involved in food production?
3. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
4. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
5. Which of the following is not one of the fourteen large mammals that have been used in agriculture or war?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)