|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Diamond's primary question in Chapter 7?
(a) Why domesticated animals became extinct
(b) How hunter-gathereres found food
(c) Why hunter-gatherers adopted plant production
(d) How ancient farmers domesticated plants
2. Which Spanish conquistador first encountered the Incas?
(a) Ferdinand Magellan
(b) Francisco Pizarro
(c) Francis Drake
(d) Christopher Columbus
3. Eurasia's axis runs in what type of line?
4. What factor meant that population could grow?
(a) The availability of more consumable calories
(b) The availability of shelter materials
(c) A nomadic lifestyle
(d) Fewer natural predators
5. Which of the following is not an area very suitable for food production?
(a) The Pacific states in North America
(c) The Argentine pampas
(d) The Cape region of South Africa
6. What is not one of the eight "founder" crops that started in the Fertile Crescent?
(a) Emmer wheat
7. The Maori and Moriori had what in common?
(a) A government
8. What are "selfer" plants?
(a) Plants that can be started by people
(b) Plants that pollinate themselves
(c) Plants that take more soil nutrients than other plants
(d) Plants that contain a high level of Vitamin B
9. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
(a) How environments shape societies
(b) How the loss of large mammals gave societies an advantage
(c) How war can end if groups decide to stop
(d) How shared culture is important
10. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
(a) They were rare.
(b) Their production was low.
(c) They had longer growing periods before harvest.
(d) They were too easy to cultivate.
11. Which of these food items was domesticated most recently?
12. The Giant Leap Forward was which of the following?
(a) Humans arriving in North America
(b) The first use of stone tools
(c) The development of water going crafts
(d) The first Home Sapiens
13. What is not an advantage that the Fertile Crescent had in food production?
(a) It was in the Mediterranean climate.
(b) There were many plants that could be domesticated.
(c) The area had cool summers and dry winters.
(d) The area was high in rainfall.
14. In the early stages of food production, people did which of the following?
(a) Collected wild food and raised cultivated ones
(b) Raised mainly cultivated crops
(c) Only raised cultivated crops
(d) Spent more time hunting than growing crops
15. Which of the following was one of the earliest crops?
(c) Fruit trees
Short Answer Questions
1. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
2. Who killed and enslaved the Moriori in the Chatham Islands?
3. Which mammal did the Spanish have that the Incas did not?
4. One argument that people have made is that what stimulated development in Western Europe?
5. Which of the following is not poisonous in the wild?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)