|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 "Speedboat to Polynesia".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one factor in the differing developments in the timing of food production?
(a) Advantages of seeds
(b) Advantages of youth
(c) Advantages of steel
(d) Advantages of water
2. Why did it take people longer to cultivate fruit tress?
(a) They had longer growing periods before harvest.
(b) They were too easy to cultivate.
(c) They were rare.
(d) Their production was low.
3. What is necessary for a disease to become an epidemic?
(a) Bad sanitation
(b) A large, sedentary population
(c) A small population
(d) A hunter-gatherer society
4. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Perceived need
(b) Superior intelligence
(c) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(d) Greater creativity
5. Food production meant what to hunting and gathering societies?
(a) Less physical demands
(b) Fewer hours of labor each day
(c) More nomadic lifestyles
(d) More physical work
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
2. The Miao-Yao family of language is spoken where?
3. Which of the following is not one of the fourteen large mammals that have been used in agriculture or war?
4. The Giant Leap Forward occurred when?
5. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)