|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 "Speedboat to Polynesia".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
(a) Too many plants that could be domesticated
(b) The dry conditions on the continent
(c) Too much rainfall to support domesticated plants
(d) Fertile soils
2. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
(a) There were no large mammals available.
(b) There was some problem with the wild plants available.
(c) The environment in the area was too poor for farming.
(d) People weren't intelligent enough to figure it out.
3. What was one factor in the differing developments in the timing of food production?
(a) Advantages of water
(b) Advantages of youth
(c) Advantages of seeds
(d) Advantages of steel
4. What is a factor that influenced a group to adopt agriculture?
(a) Agriculture made them more vulnerable to surrounding groups
(b) The decline of wild foods
(c) The decrease in the population
(d) The decreased availability of domesticated plants
5. The large domesticated mammals were all domesticated before what date?
(a) 8000 B.C.
(b) 2500 B.C.
(c) 5000 B.C.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did things like agriculture and writing develop?
2. What was early writing used for primarily?
3. Which of these areas does not have a climate similar to the Fertile Crescent?
4. How does Diamond feel about the traditional theories of human development?
5. Once something is invented, what must happen?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)