|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 "Speedboat to Polynesia".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which large mammal was found in Australia about the time humans arrived?
(a) Saber tooth tigers
(b) Wholly mammoth
(c) Giant kangaroo
2. All crops began as what?
(a) A domesticated plant
(b) A wild plant species
(c) A foreign plant
(d) A native plant
3. What is the first stage in the transition of diseases to humans?
(a) Pathogens establish themselves in humans and the disease does not die out.
(b) Humans pick up the diseases from other humans.
(c) Humans pick up germs and diseases from pets and domestic animals but the germs are still only passed from animal to human, not between humans.
(d) The major epidemic disease becomes confined to humans.
4. In what types of societies did writing first emerge?
(a) Places where food production arose
(c) Places were science was a major focus
(d) Capitalist societies
5. What was needed for a society to become involved in food production?
(a) Some type of fruit tree
(b) A natural disaster
(c) Several species of plants that could be domesticated
(d) An abundance of wild game
Short Answer Questions
1. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
2. When did the history of humans begin?
3. How did farmers end up with plants that fulfilled their needs?
4. Why didn't Australians develop food production in ancient times?
5. People often assume that there are what type of differences between people living on different continents?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)