|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17 "Speedboat to Polynesia".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the history of humans begin?
(a) 2 thousand years ago
(b) 7 million years ago
(c) 15 million years ago
(d) 1 million years ago
2. What factor meant that population could grow?
(a) The availability of shelter materials
(b) The availability of more consumable calories
(c) Fewer natural predators
(d) A nomadic lifestyle
3. People in areas with a head start on food production gained what?
(a) A resistance to disease
(b) A head start on hunting and gathering techniques
(c) A head start on guns, germs, and steel
(d) Steel production
4. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
(a) How environments shape societies
(b) How the loss of large mammals gave societies an advantage
(c) How war can end if groups decide to stop
(d) How shared culture is important
5. Why was the first occupation of Australia important?
(a) It required watercraft.
(b) It was the first occupation on any continent.
(c) It was the biggest occupation on any continent.
(d) It killed off the most large mammals.
Short Answer Questions
1. All crops began as what?
2. What is a benefit that institutionalized religion provides?
3. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
4. What occurred between the Incas and Spanish forces?
5. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)