|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14 "From Egalitarian to Kleptocracy".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Groups who remained hunter-gatherers into the twentieth century lived in what types of areas?
(a) Areas not fit for food production
(b) Areas with lots of water
(c) Areas where natural resources are abundant
(d) Areas near the equator
2. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
(a) The ice age
(b) Humans killed or indirectly eliminated them.
(c) A large large comet hit the earth.
(d) Germs introduced by humans
3. Why were the Europeans not affected by the infectious diseases that they brought to places like the Americas and Australia?
(a) They practiced better sanitation.
(b) They were genetically superior to other groups.
(c) They had already acquired immunity.
(d) They had a natural resistance to the diseases.
4. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
(a) The environment in the area was too poor for farming.
(b) There was some problem with the wild plants available.
(c) People weren't intelligent enough to figure it out.
(d) There were no large mammals available.
5. Which of the following was not a domesticated animal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some people feel that explaining why one group dominates another does what?
2. The axis of a continent does not affect the spread of what?
3. Plants like olives, figs and dates were domesticated around what time?
4. What is a factor that influenced a group to adopt agriculture?
5. Traditional arguments seeking to explain domination have often focused on what?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)