|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 "Zebras, Unhappy Marriages, and <I>Anna Karenina</I>".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the importance of a written language?
(a) People could communicate with each other.
(b) Information could be spread more rapidly.
(c) It reinforced the status of the royalty.
(d) Laws could be known by everyone.
2. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
(a) 8,000 B.C.
(b) 6,000 B.C.
(c) 100 A.D.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
3. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
(a) Germs introduced by humans
(b) A large large comet hit the earth.
(c) Humans killed or indirectly eliminated them.
(d) The ice age
4. How did the Moriori avoid conflict?
(a) By renouncing war
(b) By moving to an area that no one wanted
(c) By choosing not to develop weapons
(d) By giving in when challenged
5. Plant and animal domestication led to which of the following?
(a) Sparser societies
(b) Denser human populations
(c) Increased hunger
(d) Less warfare
Short Answer Questions
1. Germs from what produced epidemics in Native American and Australian societies?
2. Who killed and enslaved the Moriori in the Chatham Islands?
3. Which location did not see a mass extinction of large mammals that was as large as other locations?
4. What advantage did horses provide?
5. Diamond argues that wealth and power are distributed unevenly because what developed at different times?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)