|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 "Zebras, Unhappy Marriages, and <I>Anna Karenina</I>".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some people have argued that those living in warm, humid climates were inhibited in their development by what?
(a) The amount of germs
(b) The heat
(c) The lower intelligence
(d) The lack of materials
2. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
(a) How war can end if groups decide to stop
(b) How environments shape societies
(c) How shared culture is important
(d) How the loss of large mammals gave societies an advantage
3. Which location did not see a mass extinction of large mammals that was as large as other locations?
(a) New Guinea
(c) North America
4. Hunter-gatherers in southeastern Europe adopted crops and agriculture from where?
(b) North America
(c) Southwestern Asia
5. What influenced life in the island societies of Polynesia?
(a) The environment
(b) The closeness to North America
(c) The tropical climate on all islands
(d) Trade with Europeans
Short Answer Questions
1. The idea that there is a sharp divide between nomadic hunter-gatherers and sedentary food producers is what?
2. How does Diamond explain the mass extinction of large mammals in some areas?
3. How does Diamond feel about the traditional theories of human development?
4. What weapons did the Spanish have in their encounter with the Incas?
5. Why was literacy important for the Spanish?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)