|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7 "How to Make an Almond".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true about hunting and gathering societies?
(a) They spent more time hunting than they did in farming.
(b) They worked more hours in each day than they did farming.
(c) All adopted agriculture as soon as introduced.
(d) Many did not adopt crops when they were introduced to them.
2. Diamond argues that examining Polynesia helps the reader see what?
(a) How the loss of large mammals gave societies an advantage
(b) How shared culture is important
(c) How war can end if groups decide to stop
(d) How environments shape societies
3. Wild almonds are what?
(a) Healthier than domesticated
(b) Sweeter than domesticated
(c) Less bitter than domesticated
4. What was one factor in the differing developments in the timing of food production?
(a) Advantages of seeds
(b) Advantages of youth
(c) Advantages of steel
(d) Advantages of water
5. Why were the Europeans not affected by the infectious diseases that they brought to places like the Americas and Australia?
(a) They were genetically superior to other groups.
(b) They practiced better sanitation.
(c) They had a natural resistance to the diseases.
(d) They had already acquired immunity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor meant that population could grow?
2. The arrival of founder crops enabled local populations to become what?
3. Who killed and enslaved the Moriori in the Chatham Islands?
4. How does Diamond feel about the traditional theories of human development?
5. About what time did food production begin in the United States?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)