|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18 "Hemispheres Colliding".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Diamond suggests that inventions occur because of what?
(a) Peoples' curiosity and tinkering
(b) Superior intelligence
(c) Greater creativity
(d) Perceived need
2. Where did the Incas first encounter the Spanish?
3. Why were early crops chosen by farmers?
(a) They grew slowly
(b) They gave low yields in the wild
(c) They were not able to be stored
(d) They were already edible
4. According to Diamond, why are the societies of Asia and the Pacific important?
(a) These societies provide so many examples of how environment influences and shapes history
(b) These societies invented more items than other societies
(c) These societies provide many examples of how culture inhibited the spread of technology
(d) These societies provide examples of how societies resisted epidemics
5. At 11,000 B.C., which continent was most likely to develop quickly?
(a) North America
(c) Any of them could have developed most quickly
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one explanation that Diamond gives for why food production didn't begin earlier in some ecologically better areas?
2. What advantage did horses provide?
3. How many of the original fourteen large domesticated mammals became widespread across the globe?
4. Governments that distribute wealth from commoners to the upper classes are known as what?
5. What is typically necessary for a society to have non-food specialists beyond kings and bureaucrats?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)