|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the magnet is parallel to the horizon, the island does what?
(a) moves left
(b) stands still
2. When it is found that Gulliver and the king cannot understand each other, Gulliver is taken where and given food?
(a) the dining hall
(b) the dungeons
(c) the guest quarters
(d) the king's rooms
3. Who proposes that health and politics are intimately linked?
(b) a doctor
(c) the king
(d) the queen
4. Who argues that a senator should have to vote directly contrary to what he says in his speech, because then that will be what is best for the people.
(a) the king
(c) the lord
(d) the doctor
5. How does Gulliver feel about the way the king views Gulliver's country?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He doesn't care.
(d) He is insulted.
6. Another section of the academy is full of people trying to do what regarding their language?
(a) translate their language to French
(b) add words and their meanings to the language
(c) translate their language to English
(d) make their language shorter and less confusing
7. When Gulliver tells the king about the treasury of England, what is the king's reaction?
(a) The king suggests that Gulliver go back to England and tell them to run the treasury the way the giants run theirs.
(b) The king is confused because England is spending more than they are making.
(c) The king is amazed that England is making mroe than they are spending.
(d) The king is shocked that England can balance their budget perfectly.
8. The floating island can keep hovering over the lower island, blocking out the sun and what, according to Gulliver?
9. Gulliver is introduced to the king who is hard at work on a problem that involves what?
10. Gulliver is dismayed to see that even if they were alive again, many of these people would be what?
11. Gulliver finds that it is not a good life because although they never die, what happens?
(a) They are unable to work.
(b) They are unable to see.
(c) They get old.
(d) They get bored.
12. The same doctor proposes that in order to cure the forgetfulness of many of these men, what should happen to them after a speech?
(a) They should be paid.
(b) They should receive an award.
(c) They should keep a written copy of the speech.
(d) They should be hurt.
13. Gulliver feels neglected because everyone on the island is only interested in math and what?
14. The doctor theorizes that whenever the people are healed, then the politics and government will be what?
15. How does Gulliver say that he would feel if he never had to die?
(a) He would kill himself, eventually.
(b) He would eventually get bored.
(c) He would love it.
(d) He would hate it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people on the ground send up their petitions to be received on the floating island?
2. Which of the following is a house of the British parliament, according to Gulliver?
3. How many years ago does the lord explain that people went to visit the flying island and came down with all sorts of ideas?
4. Gulliver says that instead of learning about art and history these people learn about what?
5. Gulliver also likes the idea of taking political foes and exchanging half of each other's what?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)