|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose influence does Pound think should be respected?
2. Why would Pound not give the first book of the "Nicomachean Ethics" to a young man?
3. Whose culture is discussed in "The Promised Land?"
4. What kind of piece is "Guide to Kulchur?"
5. The enemies of mankind are those who ossify what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three institutions are seen in the world, according to "Recapitulate"?
2. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
3. Why is "And Therefore Tending" such a long essay? What is its purpose?
4. What does Pound say about Communism in "The Proof of the Pudding"?
5. What does Pound say about culture in "On Arriving and Not Arriving"?
6. What did Mussolini say about poetry? What does Pound think of this?
7. How does Pound feel about "Guide to Kulchur"? How do you know?
8. What losses does the essay "Losses" refer to?
9. What does pastoral mean? How does Pound use it in "Epilogue?"
10. What does Pound say about Plato in "To Recapitulate?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Pound's view of Aristotle. Why does he feel this way about him? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
What is the message Pound conveys in "Guide to Kulchur"? Explain at least three ways he achieves this.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Pound's views on Americans and the British. Why does he feel this way about each culture?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)