|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The enemies of mankind are those who ossify what?
2. What does Pound say American can learn from?
3. "Arabia Deserta" begins with discussions of old writings that identify high and low what?
4. What area of writing is the focus of "The Promised Land?"
5. With what discussion does Pound open "The Recurring Decimal?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pound say about Communism in "The Proof of the Pudding"?
2. Explain Pound's famous Cantos.
3. What is Pound's analysis of Aristotle in "Watch the Beaneries?"
4. What does "Odes: Risks" explain about Confucian teaching?
5. What does "Kung" say about Confucius?
6. According to "Arabia Deserta". what significance does economics have in a culture?
7. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
8. What does pastoral mean? How does Pound use it in "Epilogue?"
9. Why are the Victorians significant to Pound?
10. What significance does Grant have in American history, according to Pound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast aristocracy and oligarchy. What are Pound's views on each? Which is a "better" form of government, according to Pound? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is Pound's view of religion? How did he come to that view?
Essay Topic 3
Identify, define, and explain the two mystical states Pound discusses in "Neo-Platonicks Etc."
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)