|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of piece is "Guide to Kulchur?"
2. Where were people sent for systemized information in Pound's youth?
3. Who does Pound want to write for?
4. What are men drunk with in philosophy?
5. How does Pound feel about the philosopher discussed in "To Recapitulate?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pound say matters most, according to "Decline of the Adamses"?
2. What significance does Grant have in American history, according to Pound?
3. What does Pound say about Plato in "To Recapitulate?"
4. Explain Pound's famous Cantos.
5. What are the two mystical states explained by Pound? How do they affect philosophers?
6. What is the relationship between usury and the arts?
7. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
8. In what book of "And Therefore Tending" does Pound's view of Aristotle change? How does it change?
9. What does Pound say about culture in "On Arriving and Not Arriving"?
10. What did Mussolini say about poetry? What does Pound think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Pound's view of education.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance Pound places on reading and literature. How does he express his view that reading is imperative to understanding in "Guide to Kulchur"?
Essay Topic 3
What is the message Pound conveys in "Guide to Kulchur"? Explain at least three ways he achieves this.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)