|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The epilogue discusses a man from what city?
2. What is based on ignoble elements?
3. Pound cites one author as arguing that "Nicomachean Ethics" is a mass of what?
4. What universities does Pound discuss in the first essay in Part IV, Section IX?
5. What is is a mere bureaucracy full of hypocrites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Odes: Risks" explain about Confucian teaching?
2. What is Pound's analysis of Aristotle in "Watch the Beaneries?"
3. How does Pound feel about "Guide to Kulchur"? How do you know?
4. What three institutions are seen in the world, according to "Recapitulate"?
5. What does Pound argue about liberalism in "Decline of the Adamses"?
6. What does Pound say about culture in "On Arriving and Not Arriving"?
7. What significance does Grant have in American history, according to Pound?
8. What does Pound say about Protestant parsons in "The Study of Physiognomy"?
9. What did Mussolini say about poetry? What does Pound think of this?
10. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, define, and explain the two mystical states Pound discusses in "Neo-Platonicks Etc."
Essay Topic 2
Identify and explain each of Pound's three important modes of thought.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Pound's view of Aristotle. Why does he feel this way about him? Be specific.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)