|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization does Pound criticize in "Government?"
2. Whose culture is discussed in "The Promised Land?"
3. "Praise Song of the Buck-Hare" presents a poem written in what year?
4. Whose merits does Pound expound on in "Study of Physiognomy?"
5. What author is addressed at the beginning of "Study of Physiognomy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pound say about Protestant parsons in "The Study of Physiognomy"?
2. What is Pound's analysis of Aristotle in "Watch the Beaneries?"
3. According to "Arabia Deserta". what significance does economics have in a culture?
4. What significance does Grant have in American history, according to Pound?
5. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
6. What does "Kung" say about Confucius?
7. What does pastoral mean? How does Pound use it in "Epilogue?"
8. How does Pound feel about "Guide to Kulchur"? How do you know?
9. What does Pound say about culture in "On Arriving and Not Arriving"?
10. What did Mussolini say about poetry? What does Pound think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify, define, and explain the two mystical states Pound discusses in "Neo-Platonicks Etc."
Essay Topic 2
Identify and explain each of Pound's three important modes of thought.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Pound's view on usury, using specific examples from his essays to support your claims.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)