|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose ideas must the Catholic Church take seriously in order revive?
2. What is the second essay in Part IV, Section VII?
3. What recent social encyclical comments on economic matters?
4. What is usury?
5. How many pages is "Italy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pound describe the Greeks and Christians in "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
2. Why does Pound commend Aristotle in "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
3. What does "Maxims of Prudence" say about collaborating with men?
4. Explain the two sorts of ideas Pound identifies in "The New Learning."
5. What does Pound say about knowledge and culture in "Guide to Kulchur: Part Two"?
6. How does Pound's view of Dr. Johnson's 'London' and T. S. Eliot's preface in it change after he breaks from them to discuss various writings?
7. Explain the essay "Values."
8. What is the purpose of the essay "Guide?"
9. What does Pound seek in "Guide to Kulchur: Part Two"?
10. What explanation does Pound give for translated Greek tragedies being boring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Pound's perspective on Confucius and Chinese culture. What specific benefits does he associated with studying Chinese history and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Pound's view of Aristotle. Why does he feel this way about him? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Romanticism. How does Pound feel about Romanticism? Be specific.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)