|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of artists are the subject of the author's observations in "Guide?"
2. What essay is noted by the author to be dry, but that something worthwhile can come from reading it?
3. What is one measure of civilization?
4. Who was the grandfather of Descartes?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the important modes of thought discussed in "Ici Je Teste?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Vortex" say about sculpture?
2. What does Pound say about Shakespeare's plays? About his poetry?
3. What does Pound say about answering critics?
4. What elements are included in poetry, according to "March 12th"?
5. What is Montessori education?
6. What is the purpose of the essay "Guide?"
7. Why does Pound commend Aristotle in "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
8. What is usury? How does Pound relate usury to rulers of people?
9. What does Pound say about old philosophy in comparison to men of his age in "Totalitarian?"
10. What does "Maxims of Prudence" say about collaborating with men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an ode? Explain Pound's discussion of odes, particularly as they relate to culture and civilization.
Essay Topic 2
What is the message Pound conveys in "Guide to Kulchur"? Explain at least three ways he achieves this.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Pound's views on Americans and the British. Why does he feel this way about each culture?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)