|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of people are the subject of "Sophists?"
2. Who is the author of "Guide to Kulchur"?
3. What does Pound discuss at the beginning of "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
4. What is the initial focus of "Ici Je Teste?"
5. What do bilingual classics tests and microfiche editions of music help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pound say about Shakespeare's plays? About his poetry?
2. Why does Pound say Jefferson was wise in "Human Wishes?"
3. What does "Vortex" say about sculpture?
4. What is Montessori education?
5. What is usury? How does Pound relate usury to rulers of people?
6. What does Pound say about professional philosophers before and after Liebniz?
7. How does Pound describe the Greeks and Christians in "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
8. What did H. L. Mencken write to Pound about usury? What was Pound's response?
9. What does Pound say about philosophers in the opening of "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
10. What explanation does Pound give for translated Greek tragedies being boring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain "And Therefore Tending." Why does Pound choose to include this in "Guide to Kulchur" when it could have stood on its own as an independent work?
Essay Topic 2
What is Pound's view of religion? How did he come to that view?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast aristocracy and oligarchy. What are Pound's views on each? Which is a "better" form of government, according to Pound? Why?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)