|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is is a mere bureaucracy full of hypocrites?
(a) The English Church.
(b) The Lutheran Church.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) The Church of Rome.
2. What essay is the the main title for the subtitle: "Is what you can pick up and/or get in touch with, by talk with the most intelligence men of the period?"
(b) "The Culture of an Age."
(c) "Time Lag."
(d) "The Novel and So Forth."
3. Whose culture is discussed in "The Promised Land?"
4. What organization does Pound criticize in "Government?"
(a) United Nations.
(b) League of Nations.
(c) Peace Corps.
(d) Federal Bureau of Investigation.
5. Pound rejects the view that who should not study moral philosophy?
(a) College students.
(d) The young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Italian intellectuals does Pound admire?
2. Where does sovereignty rest, according to Pound?
3. What area of writing is the focus of "The Promised Land?"
4. Where did Pound waste time studying?
5. "Arabia Deserta" begins with discussions of old writings that identify high and low what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subtitle of "The Culture of an Age"? What does it reveal about Pound and the essay?
2. What does Pound say about Communism in "The Proof of the Pudding"?
3. What does Pound say matters most, according to "Decline of the Adamses"?
4. What does Pound argue about liberalism in "Decline of the Adamses"?
5. Explain Pound's famous Cantos.
6. What is the relationship between usury and the arts?
7. According to "Arabia Deserta". what significance does economics have in a culture?
8. What are the two mystical states explained by Pound? How do they affect philosophers?
9. What does Pound say about culture in "On Arriving and Not Arriving"?
10. What did Mussolini say about poetry? What does Pound think of this?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)