|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes many great Greek tragedies boring, according to the author?
(a) Attention to meaning above all else.
(b) Translations of translations.
(c) Detailed translation.
(d) Unrelatable storylines.
2. In "Kulchur: Part Two," the author denies that knowledge is what?
3. What do bilingual classics tests and microfiche editions of music help?
(a) Expression of culture.
(b) The new learning.
(c) Personal creativity.
(d) Understanding of culture.
4. In which direction was the culture of Christian medieval?
5. Which sort of ideas are the men of today almost exclusively concerned with, according to Pound?
(a) Ideas that are meant to lead culture to evolve.
(b) Ideas that do not actually exist.
(c) Ideas that guide action and serve as rules of conduct.
(d) Ideas that guide action and serve as rules of conduct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not yet rotted by "usury" or the practice of making money from money?
2. In Part IV, Section VII, Pound discusses "The ______ of Human Wishes".
3. Civilization involves a sound balance of what?
4. What was the focus of Rome, according to "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
5. "Great Bass: Part One" focuses on the ______ an ear can hear.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Vortex" say about sculpture?
2. What does Pound say about old philosophy in comparison to men of his age in "Totalitarian?"
3. Explain the essay "Values."
4. What does Pound say about code-worship in "Books 'About'"?
5. What did H. L. Mencken write to Pound about usury? What was Pound's response?
6. What does "Maxims of Prudence" say about collaborating with men?
7. Where did Pound work that contributed to his view of clerics? What is his view of clerics?
8. What explanation does Pound give for translated Greek tragedies being boring?
9. What does Pound say about answering critics?
10. What does Pound say about professional philosophers before and after Liebniz?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)