|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Italy" argues that a vast civilization is contained within a few hundred Italian what?
2. What author does the author deal with in "Monumental?"
(a) T. S. Eliot.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Franz Kafka.
3. What kind of minds are of great value, especially in a rotted milieu?
4. Whose introduction in London does Pound praise?
(a) Dr. Johnson's.
(b) Anne Sexton's.
(c) T. S. Eliot's.
(d) George Gordon, Lord Byron's.
5. How many pages is "Monumental?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the focus in "Guide" is on intellectuals from what country?
2. Whose thought in London does Pound praise?
3. According to Pound, what century involves much cultural decline?
4. What is more important than knowledge?
5. What aspect of Greek epics have been given insufficient attention, according to Pound?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Vortex" say about sculpture?
2. What is the purpose of the essay "Guide?"
3. Why did the Catholic Church lose to Luther, according to Pound?
4. What does Pound say about philosophers in the opening of "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
5. What does "Guide to Kulchur: Part One" say about things that cannot be understood? How does this apply to philosophy?
6. According to Pound, why do people write?
7. What does Pound say about knowledge and culture in "Guide to Kulchur: Part Two"?
8. What does Pound seek in "Guide to Kulchur: Part Two"?
9. Give an example of aesthetic criticism in "Guide to Kulchur".
10. What does Pound say about code-worship in "Books 'About'"?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)