|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of education does the author address in "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
(c) Charlotte Mason.
2. After Liebniz, professional philosophers are just ______ blokes, according to Pound.
3. In which direction was the culture of Christian medieval?
4. The author says discoveries are made by men who can what?
5. The moderns have a vortex of will and ______.
(d) Free thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the time should one not respond to criticisms of one's artwork?
2. "Great Bass: Part One" focuses on the ______ an ear can hear.
3. According to Pound, what nation is not civilized?
4. In "The History of Philosophy Is ...?" the author notes that many philosophers tried to understand the world totally apart from what?
5. What length best describes the essays in Section I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pound say he created "Digest of the Analects?"
2. What does Pound say about the lowest noises that can be heard?
3. How does Pound's view of Dr. Johnson's 'London' and T. S. Eliot's preface in it change after he breaks from them to discuss various writings?
4. What is usury? How does Pound relate usury to rulers of people?
5. What does Pound say about answering critics?
6. What does Pound say about philosophers in the opening of "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
7. What did H. L. Mencken write to Pound about usury? What was Pound's response?
8. What does "Maxims of Prudence" say about collaborating with men?
9. How do the ideas of examination of conscience and the decline of culture fit together in Pound's "Tradition?"
10. What is the purpose of the essay "Guide?"
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)