|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author claim was a great man in "Values?"
2. "Italy" argues that a vast civilization is contained within a few hundred Italian what?
3. In "The History of Philosophy Is ...?" the author notes that many philosophers tried to understand the world totally apart from what?
4. In "Aeschylus and ..." the author discusses the triumph of ______ over ______ in culture.
(a) Spirituality; history.
(b) Meaning; detail.
(c) Detail; meaning.
(d) History; spirituality.
5. In whose work does the idea of the vortex lie?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the initial focus of "Ici Je Teste?"
2. In "Kulchur: Part Two," the author denies that knowledge is what?
3. What makes many great Greek tragedies boring, according to the author?
4. According to Pound, what century involves much cultural decline?
5. What do bilingual classics tests and microfiche editions of music help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Vortex" say about sculpture?
2. Why does Pound say Jefferson was wise in "Human Wishes?"
3. What does Pound say about Shakespeare's plays? About his poetry?
4. What does Pound seek in "Guide to Kulchur: Part Two"?
5. Explain the essay "Values."
6. How does Pound describe the Greeks and Christians in "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
7. What does "Maxims of Prudence" say about collaborating with men?
8. What did H. L. Mencken write to Pound about usury? What was Pound's response?
9. What does Pound say about answering critics?
10. What does Pound say about philosophers in the opening of "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)