|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to civilization when people prefer a small amount of great things to a large amount of average things?
(a) It becomes powerful.
(b) It becomes cultured.
(c) It becomes influential.
(d) It becomes respectable.
2. What Italian intellectuals does Pound admire?
3. What habit does America have about history, according to Pound?
(a) Slanting it.
(b) Rewriting it.
(c) Ignoring it.
(d) Arguing it.
4. Who have asked for almost no freedoms save to commit acts contrary to the general good?
5. According to Pound, everyone is bothered by bad what?
6. The man discussed in the epilogue is described as the last ______ mind.
7. "Arabia Deserta" begins with discussions of old writings that identify high and low what?
(a) Points in history.
8. What is the problem in Italy, according to Pound?
(a) Too much power.
(b) Lack of power.
9. Pound wants people to know that Hadyn is similarly great to whom?
10. What is is a mere bureaucracy full of hypocrites?
(a) The Lutheran Church.
(b) The Baptist Church.
(c) The English Church.
(d) The Church of Rome.
11. The enemies of mankind are those who ossify what?
12. British observers have had a tone of disgust since when?
(a) Henry VIII.
(b) The Revolutionary War.
(c) Queen Anne.
(d) Queen Victoria.
13. What progresses through reviving the old and messing it up?
14. What did England's special darkness cause an interruption in?
15. Who does Pound briefly attack in "Royalty and All That?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of writing is the focus of "The Promised Land?"
2. What universities does Pound discuss in the first essay in Part IV, Section IX?
3. What organization does Pound criticize in "Government?"
4. Whose culture is discussed in "The Promised Land?"
5. Since when has American been imbecilic, according to Pound?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)