|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do bilingual classics tests and microfiche editions of music help?
(a) Expression of culture.
(b) Personal creativity.
(c) Understanding of culture.
(d) The new learning.
2. Who was the grandfather of Descartes?
(c) Thomas More.
(d) Francis of Assisi.
3. In "March 12th," who gives serious answers to serious questions?
(a) The philosopher.
(b) Government officials.
(c) The civilized man.
(d) The educated man.
4. "Europe or The Setting" opens with a discussion of European what?
5. What is not yet rotted by "usury" or the practice of making money from money?
(a) The Vatican.
6. What requirement for confirmation in Christianity does Pound lament in the essay "Tradition?"
(b) A course of intense study.
(c) Allegience to an outdated religious model.
(d) Examination of consciousness.
7. What was the focus of Rome, according to "Sparta 776 B.C.?"
(a) The spiritual.
(b) The social.
(c) The government.
(d) The military.
8. What is the second essay in Part IV, Section VII?
(a) "Human Wishes."
(b) "Ici, Je Teste."
(c) "Guide to Kulchur."
(d) "Maxims of Prudence."
9. After Liebniz, professional philosophers are just ______ blokes, according to Pound.
10. What is more important than knowledge?
11. Who is commended in "The History of Philosophy Is ...?"
12. What percentage of the time should one not respond to criticisms of one's artwork?
13. Whose thought in London does Pound praise?
(a) Dr. Johnson's.
(b) George Gordon, Lord Byron's.
(c) T. S. Eliot's.
(d) Anne Sexton's.
14. What is one measure of civilization?
(a) Its fears.
(b) Its behavior toward families.
(c) Its government.
(d) Its hopes.
15. In whose work does the idea of the vortex lie?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what survives because it is rooted in the idea of human universality?
2. What is the initial focus of "Ici Je Teste?"
3. Whose preface does Pound label as "urbane?"
4. What is the first essay in Section II?
5. What of Pound's is rebuked in "Human Wishes?"
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)