|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vetinari travel?
2. How does Carrot get from the Ramtops to Ankh-Morpork?
3. Who questions the suggestion that the wall in the alley be painted over?
4. How many stomachs do swamp dragons have?
5. Which word is missing from this ritual password of the Elucidated Brethren: "The _______ owl hoots in the night."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the artifacts after the dragon has been summoned?
2. Why does the mob come to Lady Sybil's place?
3. Why is the wall in the alleyway demolished?
4. What incident begins to wake up the more idealistic side of Sam Vimes?
5. What is unusual about Lady Sybil's hair?
6. Why has Vetinari allowed Vimes to remain in charge of the Night Watch?
7. Why does the Patrician consider the dragon to be a problem beyond his skills?
8. What frustrates the Supreme Grand Master about the magical artifacts brought by the Elucidated Brethren?
9. What does Vimes notice about the prints in the alley that arouse his suspicions?
10. What does Carrot not realize about the Mrs Palm's "boarding house"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vimes and Nobby are astonished by the way that Lady Sybil lives. What expectations do these lower class characters seem to have of the way that the aristocracy lives? How does Lady Sybil fulfill these expectations (or not fulfill them)?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero or protagonist of this novel, Sam Vimes or Carrot? Explain the reasons for your decision in detail. Your answer should cover:
(a) A description of Vimes' actions and role
(b) A description of Carrot's actions and role
(c) Your conclusion and reasons for your decision.
Essay Topic 3
The true identity of the Supreme Grand Master of the Elucidated Brethen is kept hidden until quite late in the plot. How is the identity of the Supreme Grand Master revealed? Your answer should be in three parts:
(a) Who is the Supreme Grand Master and where has the reader encountered this character before?
(b) What circumstances (facts and actions) reveal the identity of the Supreme Grand Master definitely?
(c) What hints are given prior to this definite revelation about the identity of the Supreme Grand Master?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)