|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Patrician's office?
2. How does Carrot get from the Ramtops to Ankh-Morpork?
3. What do the Elucidated Brethren use to try to summon the dragon?
4. Who tested Carrot's sword for magic?
5. Which of the Brethren first mentions a dragon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident begins to wake up the more idealistic side of Sam Vimes?
2. Why does Carrot join the Night Watch?
3. What does Carrot not realize about the Mrs Palm's "boarding house"?
4. Why is Sam Vimes attracted to Goodboy Bindle Featherstone of Quirm?
5. How did Vimes get injured?
6. Why does Vimes completely reject the suggestion that the footprints were made by a wading bird?
7. What is the connection between Lupine Wonse and Sam Vimes?
8. Why do the watchmen not arrest anyone after the fight in the tavern?
9. What do the Elucidated Brethren believe about the obscure words used in their oaths and ritual curses?
10. What frustrates the Supreme Grand Master about the magical artifacts brought by the Elucidated Brethren?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the character of Vimes change as the plot progresses? Your essay should cover the following:
(a) His character at the beginning of the plot
(b) His character by the end of the plot
(c) What prompted these changes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of GUARDS! GUARDS!, considering:
(a) the physical location,
(b) the closest real-world equivalent historical period in time
(c ) the social system
Essay Topic 3
The Patrician explains his view of humans and their morals to Sam Vimes after Lupine Wonse has been killed.
(a) Summarize the Patrician's viewpoint in your own words
(b) Do you agree with the Patrician? Why or why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)