|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago does Khalid learn the Madrid train bombings took place as he rides on the plane in Chapter 26?
2. What term from the narrative refers to the breaking of the fast of Ramadan?
3. The room that Khalid is taken to after arriving in England is described as bigger than what, in Chapter 27?
4. What is the title of Chapter 25?
5. Where did Khalid first meet Niamh last year, according to the narrator in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Khalid to feel guilty in Chapter 25? What does Khalid receive in the mail in this chapter?
2. What does Khalid learn from Tariq of his experiences after arrest in Chapter 23?
3. What does the fellow prisoner tell Khalid about his experiences after Karachi in Chapter 17?
4. Whom does Khalid meet in Chapter 24? What information is related to Khalid from this character?
5. How is Khalid’s speech at the assembly described in Chapter 29? How do the students respond?
6. What question does Khalid repeatedly ask in the beginning of Chapter 22? Why?
7. Whom does Khalid meet when he is taken to the recreation area at the prison in Chapter 20? How is the recreation area described?
8. Where is the airplane when Khalid awakens in Chapter 27? Where does Khalid learn he will be going?
9. What conversation takes place between Khalid and Tariq when Khalid is brought back to his cell in Chapter 24?
10. How is Khalid’s arrival home described in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond to the experience of arriving home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Karachi, Pakistan. Where in Pakistan is Karachi located? What is the population of the city? What are the principle religions, cultural traditions, etc.? Why does Khalid's family travel to Karachi? What are Khalid's impressions of the city?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Masud Al-Dossadi in the narrative. What are Khalid’s impressions of Masud? In what ways does Khalid admire this character? How does Khalid compare his situation to that of Masud?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Angela, Bruce, Dan, and Bobby in the narrative. What are the objectives of these characters? What are their actions in the reading? How are they perceived by Khalid? What organizations are these characters associated with?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)