|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Khalid learn left school at sixteen for his apprenticeship with British Gas in Chapter 28?
2. At which camp does Tariq say he was held before he was transferred to Camp Delta in Chapter 23?
3. What is the title of Chapter 17?
4. Where does the fellow recently released detainee tell Khalid he is from as they are taken from the plane to a van in Chapter 27?
5. Masud describes being hung from the walls and beaten with what in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greets Khalid on the airplane in Chapter 26? What conversation takes place between Khalid and this character during the flight?
2. What music is blaring in the prison when Khalid awakens in Chapter 18? What does this make Khalid think of?
3. How is Khalid’s arrival in his room described in Chapter 27? Whom does Khalid speak to here?
4. Who interrupts Khalid from the act of self-abuse in Chapter 22? How is this character described?
5. What causes Khalid to feel guilty in Chapter 25? What does Khalid receive in the mail in this chapter?
6. How is Khalid’s arrival in Guantanamo Bay Prison described in the beginning of Chapter 16?
7. What leads to Khalid’s flashback in Chapter 28? Who comes to console Khalid?
8. Where does Khalid encounter Tariq in Chapter 22? What does he learn from this character?
9. Whom does Khalid encounter on his way to the barber in Chapter 21? What exchange is described?
10. Who greets Khalid in the interrogation room in Chapter 26? What information do these characters relate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and traditions of Ramadan and the symbolism of the jinn within Arabic literature and religion. What do the jinn look like? Why do you think these mythological creatures appear to Khalid in Chapter 19? Do they bring Khalid peace or anxiety? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the act of torture by sleep deprivation. What international regulations forbid torture on prisoners of war? What forms of torture are forbidden? What are the effects of torture by sleep deprivation? What effects of this form of torture are seen in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the game Bomber One which has been developed by Tariq in the novel. What are the objectives of the game? What other games does Khalid compare it to? What foreshadowing surrounds this game in the narrative? How many players are involved in the game?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)