|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Khalid read at the assembly in Chapter 29?
2. The letter that Khalid’s new lawyer hands him in Chapter 24 is written by whom?
3. The voice that speaks to Khalid after he descends the plane in Chapter 16 says, “Welcome to Guantanamo Bay Prison. You’re now the property of” whom?
4. What is the phrase that Khalid was taught in school in order to learn the color spectrum?
5. Who does Khalid recognize from the recreation ground as he’s led to the barber in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event brings Khalid some respite from his situation in Chapter 20?
2. What question does Khalid repeatedly ask in the beginning of Chapter 22? Why?
3. What does Mr. Tagg ask of Khalid in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond?
4. Whom does Khalid encounter at the communal showers in Chapter 17? What is his first impression when he sees this character?
5. What causes Khalid to not answer the calls from the next prison cell in Chapter 23?
6. Who greets Khalid in the interrogation room in Chapter 26? What information do these characters relate?
7. What information does the author relate of the imprisonment of children in the novel’s Afterword?
8. Whom does Khalid encounter on his way to the barber in Chapter 21? What exchange is described?
9. Whom does Khalid meet in Chapter 24? What information is related to Khalid from this character?
10. How is Khalid’s psychological state described in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Sarposa prison in Kandahar, Afghanistan. How large is this prison? When was it established? What history of torture has been related through the news of the prison facilities? How long is Khalid detained here?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the confession that Khalid is ordered to sign in Chapter 14. How many pages is the confession? What does the confession say? How does Khalid feel about signing the confession?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the act of torture by sleep deprivation. What international regulations forbid torture on prisoners of war? What forms of torture are forbidden? What are the effects of torture by sleep deprivation? What effects of this form of torture are seen in the novel?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)