|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Khalid exits the plane in Chapter 16, a sticky heat covers his body in sweat, reminding him of an old school trip where on the hottest day of the year?
2. How old does Khalid’s lawyer say he is now in Chapter 24?
3. The voice that speaks to Khalid after he descends the plane in Chapter 16 says, “Welcome to Guantanamo Bay Prison. You’re now the property of” whom?
4. Who is the first of Khalid’s friends that he sees in Chapter 28?
5. What is Tariq’s assigned number at Guantanamo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fellow prisoner tell Khalid about his experiences after Karachi in Chapter 17?
2. How is Khalid’s arrival home described in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond to the experience of arriving home?
3. Who greets Khalid on the airplane in Chapter 26? What conversation takes place between Khalid and this character during the flight?
4. What causes Khalid to feel guilty in Chapter 25? What does Khalid receive in the mail in this chapter?
5. Whom does Khalid encounter on his way to the barber in Chapter 21? What exchange is described?
6. How is Khalid’s arrival in his room described in Chapter 27? Whom does Khalid speak to here?
7. What conversation takes place between Khalid and Tariq when Khalid is brought back to his cell in Chapter 24?
8. How is Khalid’s day-to-day life described in the beginning of Chapter 17?
9. What information does the author relate of the imprisonment of children in the novel’s Afterword?
10. What does Mr. Tagg ask of Khalid in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and traditions of Ramadan and the symbolism of the jinn within Arabic literature and religion. What do the jinn look like? Why do you think these mythological creatures appear to Khalid in Chapter 19? Do they bring Khalid peace or anxiety? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Abdul Al-Farran. How old does Abdul tell Khalid he is? What does he say was his greatest error in his arrest? What happens to Abdul in the story? How does Khalid respond?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history, methods, and effects of torture by waterboarding. How is the process of waterboarding described in the reading? Is this a realistic depiction? Why is waterboarding forbidden by the Geneva Convention as a use of torture against prisoners of war?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)