|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his speech at the assembly in Chapter 29, Khalid says, “Hurt is hurt. Harm is harm. Bullying is bullying. What everyone wants is the same thing.” What is this thing?
2. When Khalid encounters Masud at the showers in Chapter 17, Masud tells him that they took him from Karachi to where before bringing him to Guantanamo?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 21, the library man returns and leaves Khalid with two Reader’s Digest books and what magazine?
4. Harry drives Khalid to his home in Chapter 28 in what vehicle?
5. Who does Khalid recognize from the recreation ground as he’s led to the barber in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Khalid’s arrival home described in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond to the experience of arriving home?
2. Who greets Khalid in the interrogation room in Chapter 26? What information do these characters relate?
3. How is Khalid’s psychological state described in Chapter 19?
4. Whom does Khalid encounter on his way to the barber in Chapter 21? What exchange is described?
5. How is Khalid’s day-to-day life described in the beginning of Chapter 17?
6. What information does the author relate of the imprisonment of children in the novel’s Afterword?
7. What causes Khalid to not answer the calls from the next prison cell in Chapter 23?
8. What causes Khalid to feel guilty in Chapter 25? What does Khalid receive in the mail in this chapter?
9. What conversation takes place between Khalid and Tariq when Khalid is brought back to his cell in Chapter 24?
10. What does Khalid learn from Tariq of his experiences after arrest in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the al-Qaeda organization and its history. When was al-Qaeda established? Who established the organization? What was the status of the organization following the 9/11 attacks? Why is Khalid accused of being a member of al-Qaeda?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Angela, Bruce, Dan, and Bobby in the narrative. What are the objectives of these characters? What are their actions in the reading? How are they perceived by Khalid? What organizations are these characters associated with?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of torture in Guantanamo Boy. How is this theme supported by symbolism and imagery in the novel? What do you think the author’s viewpoints are on the use of torture as a means to retrieve information of terrorist plots and activities? Do you agree or disagree?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)