|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier named Michael tells Khalid in Chapter 12 that he’s what?
2. How old is Khalid’s sister Aadab in Chapter 1?
3. What does “CIA” stand for?
4. When Khalid googles “Karachi” in Chapter 2, he discovers it has a population of how many people?
5. What is the title of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Khalid consider about his own situation after speaking with the fellow prisoner in Chapter 8?
2. What are some of the examples of films, books, etc. that Anna Perera used as research in developing the story of Guantanamo Boy, according to the Author’s Note?
3. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
4. What does Khalid do when the guard brings him breakfast in Chapter 7?
5. What does Anna Perera claim inspired her to write Guantanamo Boy in the Author’s Note?
6. Who is the man in the cell next to Khalid’s in Chapter 11? Where is this character from?
7. How is the day-to-day life of Khalid and the other prisoners described in the beginning of Chapter 12?
8. How does Chapter 2 begin? What news does Khalid learn from his mother in the opening of the chapter?
9. How is the incident at the science lab explained in Chapter 1? Who was responsible for the incident?
10. How is Khalid’s situation and condition described in the beginning of Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of torture in Guantanamo Boy. How is this theme supported by symbolism and imagery in the novel? What do you think the author’s viewpoints are on the use of torture as a means to retrieve information of terrorist plots and activities? Do you agree or disagree?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the events surrounding 9/11 and the establishment of the Guantanamo Bay Prison. When did this take place? Who approved the opening of Guantanamo Bay? How do these events relate directly to the narrative of Guantanamo Boy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and traditions of Ramadan and the symbolism of the jinn within Arabic literature and religion. What do the jinn look like? Why do you think these mythological creatures appear to Khalid in Chapter 19? Do they bring Khalid peace or anxiety? Why?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)