|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chant breaks out in the prison, beginning with Abdul after he returns from his interrogation in Chapter 12?
2. What is the address of Khalid’s home where he arrives after school in Chapter 1?
3. What is the title of Chapter 4?
4. How much older is Tariq than his cousin Khalid?
5. The narrator says of Khalid in the beginning of Chapter 15, “All night long, under the constant bright lights, the picture at the front of Khalid’s mind is the painting by” whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 2 begin? What news does Khalid learn from his mother in the opening of the chapter?
2. Who is the man in the cell next to Khalid’s in Chapter 11? Where is this character from?
3. Who is the fellow prisoner that Khalid meets in Chapter 8? How is this character’s appearance described?
4. What does Khalid recall from a classroom conversation about the Spanish Inquisition in Chapter 15?
5. What images are displayed to Khalid during his interrogations in Chapter 14? How do these images impact Khalid?
6. How is the day-to-day life of Khalid and the other prisoners described in the beginning of Chapter 12?
7. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
8. How is Khalid’s processing described in Chapter 10? What does Khalid undergo upon arrival?
9. How does the author illustrate Khalid’s psychological deterioration in Chapter 13?
10. Whom does Khalid meet after being taken to the showers in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the processing that Khalid undergoes when he arrives in Kandahar. What is the purpose of shaving the hair and facial hair of the prisoners? How do the older prisoners respond to this humiliation? How does it affect Khalid?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and traditions of Ramadan and the symbolism of the jinn within Arabic literature and religion. What do the jinn look like? Why do you think these mythological creatures appear to Khalid in Chapter 19? Do they bring Khalid peace or anxiety? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the events surrounding 9/11 and the establishment of the Guantanamo Bay Prison. When did this take place? Who approved the opening of Guantanamo Bay? How do these events relate directly to the narrative of Guantanamo Boy?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)