|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the “scruffy handcuffed man sitting cross-legged on the bare concrete floor” in the room that the guards take Khalid to in Chapter 8?
2. What is the name of the video game that Tariq has developed in Chapter 3?
3. What is the title of Chapter 3?
4. Who is Khalid’s history teacher that has taught him about Guantanamo Bay in Chapter 1?
5. What illness does the fellow prisoner say he’d contracted at the time that he was arrested at the border in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Khalid’s impressions of Karachi and the home of his aunts in Chapter 3?
2. How is the incident at the science lab explained in Chapter 1? Who was responsible for the incident?
3. Who is the man in the cell next to Khalid’s in Chapter 11? Where is this character from?
4. What does Anna Perera claim inspired her to write Guantanamo Boy in the Author’s Note?
5. Why was the prisoner in the cell next to Khalid’s arrested, according to the narrator in Chapter 11? Where was he arrested?
6. How is Khalid’s processing described in Chapter 10? What does Khalid undergo upon arrival?
7. Whom does Khalid meet at the new Indian grocery near his home in Chapter 2? What does this character warn Khalid about?
8. What does Khalid consider about his own situation after speaking with the fellow prisoner in Chapter 8?
9. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
10. Who is the fellow prisoner that Khalid meets in Chapter 8? How is this character’s appearance described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Sarposa prison in Kandahar, Afghanistan. How large is this prison? When was it established? What history of torture has been related through the news of the prison facilities? How long is Khalid detained here?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s transition in narrative and language style in Chapter 13, “Lights.” What different techniques does the author use to illustrate Khalid’s mental and psychological deterioration in the chapter? Are these techniques effective?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Masud Al-Dossadi in the narrative. What are Khalid’s impressions of Masud? In what ways does Khalid admire this character? How does Khalid compare his situation to that of Masud?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)