|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fellow prisoner that Khalid meets in Chapter 8 says that he is being blamed for doing what?
2. What is the name of the Irish girl at school that Khalid is said to fancy early in the novel?
3. What is Chapter 8’s title in the novel?
4. The CIA agents that interrogate Khalid during processing in Chapter 10 say that he communicated by code with other terrorists how?
5. Where is Guantanamo Bay detention center located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Khalid’s father remark about on the news when he returns home from work in Chapter 1?
2. Where is Khalid taken in Chapter 9? By what modes of transportation is he relocated?
3. What are Khalid’s impressions of Karachi and the home of his aunts in Chapter 3?
4. Where is Khalid taken in the beginning of Chapter 8? How is this setting described?
5. What does Khalid recall from a classroom conversation about the Spanish Inquisition in Chapter 15?
6. Whom does Khalid meet after being taken to the showers in Chapter 11?
7. What does Khalid do when the guard brings him breakfast in Chapter 7?
8. How is the day-to-day life of Khalid and the other prisoners described in the beginning of Chapter 12?
9. What does Khalid consider about his own situation after speaking with the fellow prisoner in Chapter 8?
10. What images are displayed to Khalid during his interrogations in Chapter 14? How do these images impact Khalid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and traditions of Ramadan and the symbolism of the jinn within Arabic literature and religion. What do the jinn look like? Why do you think these mythological creatures appear to Khalid in Chapter 19? Do they bring Khalid peace or anxiety? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the confession that Khalid is ordered to sign in Chapter 14. How many pages is the confession? What does the confession say? How does Khalid feel about signing the confession?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Karachi, Pakistan. Where in Pakistan is Karachi located? What is the population of the city? What are the principle religions, cultural traditions, etc.? Why does Khalid's family travel to Karachi? What are Khalid's impressions of the city?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)