|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Khalid is being shaved, stripped and processed at Kandahar in Chapter 10, he sees how many other children in the line that look even younger than him?
2. What is the name of the Irish girl at school that Khalid is said to fancy early in the novel?
3. What is Chapter 5’s title?
4. How old does the fellow prisoner tell Khalid he is when he meets Khalid in Chapter 8?
5. As Khalid is aboard the plane to Guantanamo in Chapter 15, his mind keeps returning to whom, and considering whether this person is the link that has landed him in these circumstances?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
2. What does Khalid find when he returns from unsuccessfully searching for his father in Chapter 5?
3. Who is the fellow prisoner that Khalid meets in Chapter 8? How is this character’s appearance described?
4. What is Khalid doing when his character is introduced in Chapter 1? What worry concerns Khalid in the opening of the novel?
5. What are some of the examples of films, books, etc. that Anna Perera used as research in developing the story of Guantanamo Boy, according to the Author’s Note?
6. What questions are asked of Khalid by Angela and Bruce in Chapter 6? How does Khalid respond?
7. What happens after Abdul has been returned to his cell after interrogation in Chapter 12?
8. What does Anna Perera claim inspired her to write Guantanamo Boy in the Author’s Note?
9. What does Khalid recall from a classroom conversation about the Spanish Inquisition in Chapter 15?
10. What does Khalid consider about his own situation after speaking with the fellow prisoner in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Guantanamo Bay Prison. When was Guantanamo Bay Prison established? How did the international community respond to the establishment of the prison? What atrocities have been reported within the confines of the detainment center? Why is Guantanamo Prison still in operation today?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Wade in Chapter 12. How old is this character? Where is he from? What are Khalid’s impressions of Wade? What happens to Wade in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the al-Qaeda organization and its history. When was al-Qaeda established? Who established the organization? What was the status of the organization following the 9/11 attacks? Why is Khalid accused of being a member of al-Qaeda?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)