|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his speech at the assembly in Chapter 29, Khalid says, “Hurt is hurt. Harm is harm. Bullying is bullying. What everyone wants is the same thing.” What is this thing?
2. What do the students at the assembly begin chanting after Khalid has finished his speech in Chapter 29?
(a) “Close down Guantanamo!”
(b) “Freedom of speech!”
(c) “Death to America!”
(d) “End racial profiling!”
3. What does Khalid read at the assembly in Chapter 29?
(a) A letter Khalid wrote from Guantanamo Bay Prison.
(b) A letter from his mother he received while in prison.
(c) A letter written from Nico while he was in prison.
(d) A letter that his lawyer wrote in order to have him freed.
4. What word does Khalid use in Chapter 16 to refer to “acts of charity to help people in need”?
(a) “Eid al-Fitr.”
(b) “Shalwar kameez.”
(d) “Tänd ett ljus.”
5. Khalid recalls a time when his friend Nico had written a song of his own in Chapter 18. What was the name of it?
(a) “Hey Baby.”
(b) “Hey Leona.”
(c) “East is East.”
(d) “Let’s Go.”
Short Answer Questions
1. When Khalid exits the plane in Chapter 16, a sticky heat covers his body in sweat, reminding him of an old school trip where on the hottest day of the year?
2. Tariq tells Khalid that he lied to the authorities and said that Khalid’s father was what, in Chapter 23?
3. How many suicides does Khalid’s lawyer say there were last week at Camp Echo in Chapter 24?
4. Where has Khalid begun biting himself in Chapter 17?
5. While Khalid takes in his room and his surroundings at home, he thinks of Tariq and the how many prisoners that are still detained at Guantanamo in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the author relate of the imprisonment of children in the novel’s Afterword?
2. How is Khalid’s arrival home described in Chapter 28? How does Khalid respond to the experience of arriving home?
3. How is Khalid’s psychological state illustrated in the beginning of Chapter 21?
4. Whom does Khalid meet when he is taken to the recreation area at the prison in Chapter 20? How is the recreation area described?
5. Where does Khalid encounter Tariq in Chapter 22? What does he learn from this character?
6. Who arrives outside of Khalid’s cell in the beginning of Chapter 26? What orders is Khalid given?
7. What event brings Khalid some respite from his situation in Chapter 20?
8. What conversation takes place between Khalid and Tariq when Khalid is brought back to his cell in Chapter 24?
9. Who interrupts Khalid from the act of self-abuse in Chapter 22? How is this character described?
10. Whom does Khalid encounter on his way to the barber in Chapter 21? What exchange is described?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)