|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the man with the library cart that offers Khalid used books to read in Chapter 20?
2. Of whose capture does Khalid’s new lawyer tell him about in Chapter 24?
(a) Alex Jones’s.
(b) George W. Bush’s.
(c) Saddam Hussein’s.
(d) Osama Bin Laden’s.
3. What British soccer player frequents Khalid’s delusions and fantasies in his delirium in Chapter 17?
(a) Bobby Moore.
(b) Steven Gerrard.
(c) Peter Shilton.
(d) David Beckham.
4. What “strange smell” immediately greets Khalid as he leaves the plane, finally free of his hood and earmuffs, in Chapter 16?
(a) The sea.
(b) Burning Wood.
(d) The desert.
5. What term from the narrative refers to the breaking of the fast of Ramadan?
(b) Tänd ett ljus.
(c) Eid al-Fitr.
(d) Shalwar kameez.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which camp does Tariq say he was held before he was transferred to Camp Delta in Chapter 23?
2. The voice that speaks to Khalid after he descends the plane in Chapter 16 says, “Welcome to Guantanamo Bay Prison. You’re now the property of” whom?
3. Where does Khalid learn Mikael has moved with his family in Chapter 28?
4. What is Niamh’s last name in the novel?
5. Tariq tells Khalid in Chapter 23 that he told the people who imprisoned him that weapons of mass destruction were hidden where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Khalid’s arrival in Guantanamo Bay Prison described in the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. What causes Khalid to not answer the calls from the next prison cell in Chapter 23?
3. Who greets Khalid in the interrogation room in Chapter 26? What information do these characters relate?
4. How is Khalid’s psychological state illustrated in the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. How is Khalid’s arrival in his room described in Chapter 27? Whom does Khalid speak to here?
6. Who arrives outside of Khalid’s cell in the beginning of Chapter 26? What orders is Khalid given?
7. How is Khalid’s speech at the assembly described in Chapter 29? How do the students respond?
8. What conversation takes place between Khalid and Tariq when Khalid is brought back to his cell in Chapter 24?
9. What leads to Khalid’s flashback in Chapter 28? Who comes to console Khalid?
10. Whom does Khalid meet when he is taken to the recreation area at the prison in Chapter 20? How is the recreation area described?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)