|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 14?
(b) “Water Tricks.”
(c) “Party of God.”
(d) “To Kandahar.”
2. What does Khalid do as the armed guard goes to take his breakfast from him in the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) He runs and leaps from the window.
(b) He kicks the door open and flees.
(c) He attempts to strangle the guard.
(d) He makes a telephone call to his mother.
3. How often is the Red Cross guy said to come by for letters from the prisoners in the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Every two weeks.
(b) Twice a week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a week.
4. What does Khalid recall stealing from a Polish guy at the market during his delirium in Chapter 14?
(a) A tablet.
(b) A radio.
(c) A vase.
(d) Black jeans.
5. What is the greeting that the prisoner in the next cell to Khalid’s uses to greet him each morning in Chapter 11?
(a) “Shalwar kameez.”
(c) “As-salaamu alaikum.”
(d) “Tänd ett ljus.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What sacred place is the Prophet Muhammad said to be buried in?
2. Where in England does Khalid’s family live in the beginning of the novel?
3. With whom does Khalid recall skipping school to go to Renzo’s house to smoke cigarettes and drink his dad’s gin in Chapter 14?
4. In what English city has Khalid’s dad said to have worked as a lunch chef for the past ten years, in Chapter 1?
5. What is Chapter 5’s title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the man in the cell next to Khalid’s in Chapter 11? Where is this character from?
2. What does Khalid recall from a classroom conversation about the Spanish Inquisition in Chapter 15?
3. What questions are asked of Khalid by Angela and Bruce in Chapter 6? How does Khalid respond?
4. What does Khalid consider about his own situation after speaking with the fellow prisoner in Chapter 8?
5. Where is Khalid in the opening of Chapter 6? Where is he taken?
6. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
7. How does the author illustrate Khalid’s psychological deterioration in Chapter 13?
8. What are Khalid’s impressions of Karachi and the home of his aunts in Chapter 3?
9. Who is the fellow prisoner that Khalid meets in Chapter 8? How is this character’s appearance described?
10. What does Khalid do when the guard brings him breakfast in Chapter 7?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)