|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Tariq’s sister Radhwa when she died?
2. What is the address of Khalid’s home where he arrives after school in Chapter 1?
(a) 9 Owestry Road.
(b) 17 Cobbler Lane.
(c) 12 Gooseberry Lane.
(d) 5 Rosswald Drive.
3. What is the title of Chapter 7?
(b) “Blood’s Thicker than Water.”
4. Who is Khalid’s history teacher that has taught him about Guantanamo Bay in Chapter 1?
(a) Mr. Williams.
(b) Mr. Jackson.
(c) Mr. Tagg.
(d) Mr. Hanwood.
5. What is the capital city of Pakistan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Khalid’s last name in the novel?
2. For how many minutes are the prisoners led outside and allowed to take in the sun in the chain gang in Chapter 12?
3. Where in England does Khalid’s family live in the beginning of the novel?
4. What sound awakens Khalid in the opening of Chapter 8?
5. What illness does the fellow prisoner say he’d contracted at the time that he was arrested at the border in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 2 begin? What news does Khalid learn from his mother in the opening of the chapter?
2. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
3. How is the incident at the science lab explained in Chapter 1? Who was responsible for the incident?
4. How is Khalid’s processing described in Chapter 10? What does Khalid undergo upon arrival?
5. What does Khalid’s father remark about on the news when he returns home from work in Chapter 1?
6. What does Khalid find when he returns from unsuccessfully searching for his father in Chapter 5?
7. How does the author illustrate Khalid’s psychological deterioration in Chapter 13?
8. Where is Khalid in the opening of Chapter 6? Where is he taken?
9. Where is Khalid taken in the beginning of Chapter 8? How is this setting described?
10. What does Khalid recall from a classroom conversation about the Spanish Inquisition in Chapter 15?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)