|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Khalid’s father says that it has been how long since 9/11 “and the world is getting madder by the day” in Chapter 1?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 months.
2. Of what city does the fellow prisoner say in Chapter 8, “is very sad there. Bombing every day. Women, children, dying in streets. Explosions going all time”?
3. What word does Khalid confuse for “enemy combatant” when he first hears the fellow prisoner use the phrase in Chapter 8?
4. Wade tells Khalid in Chapter 12 that “Camp X-Ray’s now closed and the new facility there, where you’d be going is” called what?
(a) “Camp Stewart.”
(b) “Camp Edwards.”
(c) “Camp Echo.”
(d) “Camp Delta.”
5. What does Khalid do as the armed guard goes to take his breakfast from him in the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) He attempts to strangle the guard.
(b) He runs and leaps from the window.
(c) He kicks the door open and flees.
(d) He makes a telephone call to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. The peanuts that Khalid receives in his lunch in Chapter 12 are from where?
2. The Pakistani-looking man who interrogates Khalid in Chapter 6 takes what item from Khalid’s possession when he first speaks to him?
3. The narrator says of Khalid in the beginning of Chapter 15, “All night long, under the constant bright lights, the picture at the front of Khalid’s mind is the painting by” whom?
4. Khalid’s father is said to have taught Khalid how to do the dishes after tea at what age?
5. What is the address of Khalid’s home where he arrives after school in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Khalid’s father remark about on the news when he returns home from work in Chapter 1?
2. What is Khalid doing when his character is introduced in Chapter 1? What worry concerns Khalid in the opening of the novel?
3. How is the day-to-day life of Khalid and the other prisoners described in the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What does Anna Perera claim inspired her to write Guantanamo Boy in the Author’s Note?
5. What does Khalid find when he returns from unsuccessfully searching for his father in Chapter 5?
6. What questions are asked of Khalid by Angela and Bruce in Chapter 6? How does Khalid respond?
7. How is the incident at the science lab explained in Chapter 1? Who was responsible for the incident?
8. Where is Khalid in the opening of Chapter 6? Where is he taken?
9. How is the process of waterboarding described in Chapter 14? How does Khalid respond to this torture?
10. Why was the prisoner in the cell next to Khalid’s arrested, according to the narrator in Chapter 11? Where was he arrested?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)