|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Khalid gets on the plane in Chapter 26, he sees what looks like another newly released detainee reading what periodical?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Daily Mirror.
(d) The Washington Street Journal.
2. What kind of music is blaring when Khalid awakens in Chapter 18?
(a) Country music.
(b) Reggae music.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Rap music.
3. For how long does Tariq say the hunger strike went on when he first arrived at Guantanamo in Chapter 23?
(a) 71 days.
(b) 120 days.
(c) 29 days.
(d) 54 days.
4. What is the name of the man who says his job is “to help [Khalid] settle back into normal life as soon as possible” in Chapter 27?
(a) Professor Packman.
(b) Professor Joyce.
(c) Professor Wolfson.
(d) Professor Jameson.
5. Where did Khalid first meet Niamh last year, according to the narrator in Chapter 18?
(a) The library.
(b) The museum.
(c) The science lab.
(d) The cafeteria.
6. What news of Britain does the food trolley man reveal to Khalid and the other prisoners gloatingly in Chapter 16?
(a) That Osama Bin Laden has been executed.
(b) That England has joined America in fighting the Iraq War.
(c) That Saddam Hussein has been captured and executed.
(d) The France has refused to join the fight in Iraq.
7. Masud points out another prisoner to Khalid at the showers and tells him in Chapter 17 that the prisoner was blinded in one eye where?
8. Thinking back to his friends in England, Khalid thinks in Chapter 18, “Nico was a good singer but he had too much” what?
9. Who does Khalid learn left school at sixteen for his apprenticeship with British Gas in Chapter 28?
(b) Tony Banda.
10. Who is waiting at Khalid’s home when he returns after looking for Nico in Chapter 28?
(a) Mr. Stewart.
(b) Mr. Hanwood.
(c) Mr. Tagg.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
11. Talking to Khalid of the tortures he’s endured, Masud says in Chapter 17, “This I’m knowing for sure is against the law they set” where?
(a) “In Oslo.”
(b) “In the US.”
(c) “In Geneva.”
(d) “In Pakistan.”
12. Tariq tells Khalid that he lied to the authorities and said that Khalid’s father was what, in Chapter 23?
(a) Osama Bin Laden’s second cousin.
(b) A fund-raiser for extremists.
(c) A devout jihadist.
(d) A supporter of Saddam Hussein.
13. What do the students at the assembly begin chanting after Khalid has finished his speech in Chapter 29?
(a) “Death to America!”
(b) “End racial profiling!”
(c) “Freedom of speech!”
(d) “Close down Guantanamo!”
14. When the plane lands in Chapter 27, a plainclothes policeman boards and tells Khalid quietly, “I am placing you under arrest under” what?
(a) “The Department of Homeland Security.”
(b) “The Geneva Convention.”
(c) “The Prevention of Terrorism Act.”
(d) “The MI5.”
15. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(d) “Every Shred.”
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Niamh when she joined Khalid’s school, according to the narrator in Chapter 18?
2. Niamh joined Khalid’s school when her family relocated from where, according to the narrator in Chapter 18?
3. When does Tariq say he was first brought to Guantanamo Bay Prison in Chapter 23?
4. What is the title of Chapter 22?
5. What British soccer player frequents Khalid’s delusions and fantasies in his delirium in Chapter 17?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)