|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Russell's English teacher in his third year of high school?
2. How long does it take for Joe Louis to defeat Max Schmeling?
3. What is installed in the house for Herb's job?
4. How does Uncle Harold die?
5. What was the black street in Russell's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Russell sent to the principle's office at his new school?
2. How does Russell remember Uncle Harold?
3. What news prompts Lucy to send Russell out right away to sell his papers in 1939?
4. After failing one flight examination, how does Russell pass the next one with "Total Loss" Smith?
5. Where does Russell work in his final year of high school?
6. What class at school is torture for Russell, and why?
7. What school accepts Russell?
8. After Belleville, where does the family move?
9. In 1939, who does Lucy begin dating?
10. What are Russell and Lucy's letters back and forth about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russell talks of rough-and-tumble fights, both in Belleville and in Baltimore. What is the difference between the two places? How does Russell fight off bullies in Belleville? How does Russell fight off bullies in Baltimore? Does Russell enjoy fighting or not? What does he learn from both Walter and Pete?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Russell's relationship with Mimi. How did the two meet? When does Russell fall in love with her? Is he clear about when she falls in love with him? What is the central problem in their relationship? Discuss both sides of the "marriage argument:" why won't Russell marry her? How much influence does Lucy have over his opinions about marriage? What is the end result?
Essay Topic 3
For most of Russell's life, Lucy has been his ultimate teacher. What happened to their relationship when he begins to surpass her education? Examine the subtleties between mother and son, including the Latin translation incident. What is young Russell trying to prove to his mother? Does Lucy recognize Russell's behavior? Explain your answer.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)