|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Joe Louis to defeat Max Schmeling?
2. What does Lucy call his new love?
3. What color is Russell's new suit?
4. At what age does Mimi run away from the orphanage for good?
5. What worries Russell about working in the grocery or on the railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Doris meets Audrey, what does Uncle Harold do for her?
2. What is odd about the family's new Baltimore home?
3. How does Charlie Sussman help Russell go to college?
4. What news prompts Lucy to send Russell out right away to sell his papers in 1939?
5. When Lucy announces she and Herb will marry, how does Russell feel?
6. When Germany surrenders, where is Russell sent to await orders?
7. Where does Russell work in his final year of high school?
8. What incident happens early one morning as Russell delivers his papers?
9. What school accepts Russell?
10. Explain Mimi's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the juxtaposition between Russell and Lucy's letters while he is based in Pensacola.
1) What do the two talk about in the letters?
2) What world events are taking place around them?
3) What is Russell's main focus at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character profile of Uncle Harold. Include:
1) What is his background?
2) How does he know Russell?
3) What do Harold and Russell have in common?
4) Discuss Harold's relationship with Doris.
Essay Topic 3
Like everyone, Russell has insecurities about himself. How do his insecurities change over the years? Examine Russell as:
1) A small child.
2) A boy.
3) An adolescent.
4) A teenager.
5) A young man.
What are his biggest concerns at each age? How does he overcome his fears?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)