|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle Charlie's favorite book?
2. While his bully was Irish, Russell's friends were ______.
3. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
4. Why has Oluf left Newark?
5. In his first job, for what company does Russell work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Uncle Charlie chosen never to leave the house?
2. Who finally bought Uncle Etch's glass coffin?
3. Since he is unable to talk with his ailing mother, what does Russell realize about the past?
4. What ghost did Ida Rebecca once claim to see?
5. What did Lucy Elizabeth feel was her greatest failure with Benjamin?
6. In Belleville, what does Aunt Pat do to protest the landlady's Herbert Hoover poster?
7. Where has Russell and his family gone to celebrate the hog-butchering season?
8. What is Lucy Elizabeth's greatest wish for Russell, and how does she help him strive for his goals?
9. What is the cause of Benny's death?
10. When does Russell decide to become a writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 1 and 2, Russell questions the disconnect between parents and children by comparing his children to himself as a child.
1) Do you think such a disconnect exists? Why or why not?
2) Explain your answer using examples from the text.
3) What did Russell learn about his parents later in life? How could the new information help inform his writing process?
Essay Topic 2
Russell and Doris spend much of their childhood with Uncle Allen and Aunt Pat. Why does the family move in with them? Are they happy to have their relatives come? Why or why not? Why does Russell view them as an odd couple? What does Russell learn from Aunt Pat and Uncle Allen? What does Russell learn from Uncle Charlie and Uncle Hal?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Russell's relationship with Mimi. How did the two meet? When does Russell fall in love with her? Is he clear about when she falls in love with him? What is the central problem in their relationship? Discuss both sides of the "marriage argument:" why won't Russell marry her? How much influence does Lucy have over his opinions about marriage? What is the end result?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)