|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The streetwise girl lured Russell into her basement with promises of what?
2. What two types of people does Russell feel are forever disconnected?
3. Who was the person with whom Lucy Elizabeth corresponded in Newark?
4. To what brotherhood did Grandfather George belong?
5. What superstitions does Ida Rebecca believe, but Lucy Elizabeth does not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Aunt Pat and why is Russell fond of her?
2. What is the cause of Benny's death?
3. Who finally bought Uncle Etch's glass coffin?
4. What has happened to Russell's mother?
5. Since he is unable to talk with his ailing mother, what does Russell realize about the past?
6. What are Russell's memories of the women's work in Morrisonville?
7. What remedy does Aunt Pat insist is good for the children, but they find disgusting?
8. Explain the family's long lost fortune.
9. In Belleville, what does Aunt Pat do to protest the landlady's Herbert Hoover poster?
10. Who is Oluf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russell and Doris spend much of their childhood with Uncle Allen and Aunt Pat. Why does the family move in with them? Are they happy to have their relatives come? Why or why not? Why does Russell view them as an odd couple? What does Russell learn from Aunt Pat and Uncle Allen? What does Russell learn from Uncle Charlie and Uncle Hal?
Essay Topic 2
For most of Russell's life, Lucy has been his ultimate teacher. What happened to their relationship when he begins to surpass her education? Examine the subtleties between mother and son, including the Latin translation incident. What is young Russell trying to prove to his mother? Does Lucy recognize Russell's behavior? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 1 and 2, Russell questions the disconnect between parents and children by comparing his children to himself as a child.
1) Do you think such a disconnect exists? Why or why not?
2) Explain your answer using examples from the text.
3) What did Russell learn about his parents later in life? How could the new information help inform his writing process?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)