|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Russell's job with this company?
2. Why doesn't Uncle Charlie leave the house?
3. How does Lucy meet Benjamin, Russell's father?
4. What medicine does Aunt Pat insist on giving to Russell and Doris?
5. While his bully was Irish, Russell's friends were ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Lucy "give up" Audrey?
2. How does Lucy Elizabeth meet Benjamin?
3. How does Lucy punish Russell when he misbehaves?
4. Who is Aunt Pat and why is Russell fond of her?
5. What does Uncle Edwin do for a living?
6. When does Russell decide to become a writer?
7. What is the cause of Benny's death?
8. What has happened to Russell's mother?
9. Since he is unable to talk with his ailing mother, what does Russell realize about the past?
10. How does the author describe his mother's attitude toward men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Lucy's letters to and from Oluf. Though Russell did not discover these letters until later in life, they represent an important part of Lucy's history. Go through each letter provided in the text and make a chronicle of the relationship between Lucy and Oluf--what would such a relationship have meant to her? Why must the two break off the romance? Does young Russell notice anything amiss in their day to day life? Be sure to cite quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The novel has a huge list of characters. Choose four characters and write about how they influence Russell's life, worldview, personality, etc. Each character should have at least one full paragraph devoted to them. If you use quotations from the text be sure to cite your sources.
Essay Topic 3
Like everyone, Russell has insecurities about himself. How do his insecurities change over the years? Examine Russell as:
1) A small child.
2) A boy.
3) An adolescent.
4) A teenager.
5) A young man.
What are his biggest concerns at each age? How does he overcome his fears?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)