|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lucy Elizabeth punish Russell?
2. Why doesn't Uncle Charlie leave the house?
3. Where does Uncle Allen get his $30-a-week job?
4. Who takes Russell to see Benjamin when his body is brought home?
5. In seventh grade, what farm produce does Russell write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Russell's first appearance in print?
2. What is Russell's earliest memory?
3. How does Russell learn about the birds and the bees?
4. Who finally bought Uncle Etch's glass coffin?
5. How does Lucy Elizabeth meet Benjamin?
6. What did Lucy Elizabeth feel was her greatest failure with Benjamin?
7. Explain the family's long lost fortune.
8. What are Russell's memories of the women's work in Morrisonville?
9. What is Lucy Elizabeth's greatest wish for Russell, and how does she help him strive for his goals?
10. To whom does Lucy "give up" Audrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the work, Russell states that talk was the pastime of the Depression. How is this illustrated in the novel? What memories does Russell have of those times? Does Russell realize that the family is poor, or is he completely oblivious? How does the home in Belleville with Aunt Pat, Uncle Allen, etc. illustrate this point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lucy's obsession with "a home of our own." Is this her ultimate goal? How does she work toward this goal? Choose three instances from the text to illustrate Lucy's desire for a home of their own. How does she finally achieve this goal? How does her achievement affect Russell's life?
Essay Topic 3
For most of Russell's life, Lucy has been his ultimate teacher. What happened to their relationship when he begins to surpass her education? Examine the subtleties between mother and son, including the Latin translation incident. What is young Russell trying to prove to his mother? Does Lucy recognize Russell's behavior? Explain your answer.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)