|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Oluf and Lucy Elizabeth stop their correspondence?
(a) Oluf has no more money for stamps.
(b) Lucy Elizabeth finds someone else to court in Newark.
(c) Oluf is in despair and cannot support himself or her family.
(d) Lucy Elizabeth does not love him anymore.
2. According to Uncle Irvey, "A man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is ____?" (p. 55)
(a) Never done.
(b) A ton.
(c) Hard to run.
(d) Always fun.
3. During her tenure at Arlington School in Loundoun County, what illegal operation is nearby?
(a) A money laundering ring.
(b) A militia's arms room.
(c) Sam Reever's bootleg whiskey operation.
(d) Babyface Nelson's secret meeting place.
4. What ancient medicine did the people of Morristown believe in?
(b) The sweat.
(c) Blood letting.
(d) Broths made from bark.
5. To whom did Lucy Elizabeth give up Audrey?
(a) Ida Rebecca.
(b) Uncle Tom and Aunt Goldie.
(c) Uncle Irvey.
(d) Uncle Miller and Aunt Eustace.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Russell was a young boy, what famous President's time could many of the old men remember (from first-hand accounts)?
2. What is Russell's job with this company?
3. What small present has Benjamin bought for Doris?
4. What did Russell's mother insist he would do?
5. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Lucy "give up" Audrey?
2. What ghost did Ida Rebecca once claim to see?
3. Why has Uncle Charlie chosen never to leave the house?
4. What is the cause of Benny's death?
5. What are some of the reasons Ida Rebecca dislikes Lucy Elizabeth?
6. What are Russell's memories of the women's work in Morrisonville?
7. What did Lucy Elizabeth feel was her greatest failure with Benjamin?
8. Who finally bought Uncle Etch's glass coffin?
9. Who is Oluf?
10. Since he is unable to talk with his ailing mother, what does Russell realize about the past?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)