|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
(a) She moves from New Jersey to California.
(b) She gets her thirtieth grandchild.
(c) She becomes a millionaire.
(d) She has her last bad fall.
2. What two women in Russell's early life were involved in a hateful feud?
(a) Lucy and Ida Rebecca.
(b) Ida Rebecca and Annie.
(c) Lucy and Doris.
(d) Audrey and Ida Rebecca.
3. How many children did Ida Rebecca have?
(a) Thirteen, twelve boys and one girl.
(b) Ten, five boys and five girls.
(c) Five, three girls and two boys.
(d) Fifteen, ten boys and five girls.
4. Who, according to legend, willed the family their fortune?
(a) A Bishop from London.
(b) Queen Anne herself.
(c) President Lincoln.
(d) Ida Rebecca.
5. What does Lucy do with the present?
(a) She helps Doris set it up.
(b) She throws it out the back door.
(c) She throws it in the garbage.
(d) She forces Benjamin to take it back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Benjamin after he has been drinking?
2. While his bully was Irish, Russell's friends were ______.
3. What major travel institution was located in Brunswick?
4. According to Uncle Irvey, "A man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is ____?" (p. 55)
5. Where does Lucy Elizabeth finally find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the family's long lost fortune.
2. Where has Russell and his family gone to celebrate the hog-butchering season?
3. Who is Oluf?
4. Who is Aunt Pat and why is Russell fond of her?
5. What does Uncle Edwin do for a living?
6. What remedy does Aunt Pat insist is good for the children, but they find disgusting?
7. What ghost did Ida Rebecca once claim to see?
8. To whom does Lucy "give up" Audrey?
9. What is "powwowing"?
10. What is Lucy Elizabeth's greatest wish for Russell, and how does she help him strive for his goals?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)