|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill does Lucy Elizabeth surprise Russell with just before leaving for Baltimore?
(a) The ability to throw a baseball.
(b) The ability to play piano.
(c) The ability to do a cartwheel.
(d) The ability to dance ballet.
2. What tipped Lucy Elizabeth's decision to leave Audrey?
(a) Goldie says Benjamin wanted them to take care of Audrey.
(b) Uncle Tom pleads with her for hours.
(c) Ida Rebecca threatens her with legal action.
(d) Goldie gives her twenty dollars.
3. What year did Ida Rebecca die?
4. What happens to Benjamin after he has been drinking?
(a) He loses his short term memory.
(b) He sleeps for days.
(c) He becomes violently ill.
(d) He always gets lost.
5. What ancient medicine did the people of Morristown believe in?
(a) Broths made from bark.
(c) Blood letting.
(d) The sweat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Russell's mother decide he should be a writer?
2. What did Cousin Edwin do for a living?
3. To whom did Lucy Elizabeth give up Audrey?
4. For what endeavor does Hal attempt to get financial support from Lucy Elizabeth?
5. In his first job, for what company does Russell work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Oluf?
2. What is Russell's earliest memory?
3. Explain the family's long lost fortune.
4. Where has Russell and his family gone to celebrate the hog-butchering season?
5. What is "powwowing"?
6. What did Lucy Elizabeth feel was her greatest failure with Benjamin?
7. In Belleville, what does Aunt Pat do to protest the landlady's Herbert Hoover poster?
8. How does the author describe his mother's attitude toward men?
9. What are Russell's memories of the women's work in Morrisonville?
10. When does Russell decide to become a writer?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)