|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Herb do for a living?
(a) He is a professor.
(b) He works in the grocery business.
(c) He works as a traveling salesman.
(d) He works for the B&O Railroad.
2. Who is Herb's daughter with Lucy?
(b) Mary Leslie.
3. At what time of year were the orphanages shuttled from party to party, expected to be grateful?
(c) July 4th.
4. What does Russell plan to do when he sees the present on Christmas?
(a) He plans to give it to Doris.
(b) He plans to feign surprise.
(c) He plans to admit he found it already.
(d) He plans to burst into tears.
5. In what areas is Russell's knowledge extremely limited?
(a) Culture and politics.
(b) Latin and grammar.
(c) Baseball and tennis.
(d) Composition and writing.
6. What attack shocks Russell in 1941?
(a) The bombing of Nagasaki.
(b) The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
(c) Germany's invasion of Poland.
(d) The bombing of Hiroshima.
7. With whom has Doris sometimes stayed during the summers?
(a) WIth Ida Rebecca.
(b) With Uncle Miller and Aunt Edmonia.
(c) With Aunt Goldie and Uncle Tom.
(d) With Aunt Sister and Uncle Harold.
8. How does Russell treat Lucy when he begins to surpass her education?
(a) He spends extra time to help her understand his studies.
(b) He is embarrassed with her and does not want her to meet his friends.
(c) His attitude becomes snobbish.
(d) He refuses to talk to her until her Latin improves.
9. On what expensive treat does Russell blow his budget for the trip after hearing Mimi's story?
(a) A ferry ride across the harbor.
(b) Dinner at the Chicken Hut and a movie.
(c) A delicate chocolate tart at a famous bakery.
(d) A six-course meal at the Townhouse.
10. What does Lucy call his new love?
(a) A smooth operator.
(b) A cafe trotter.
(c) A know it all.
(d) A ladybird.
11. What does Russell list as his ambition in his high school yearbook?
(a) Newspaper Columnist.
(c) Navy Pilot.
(d) Railroad man.
12. After he leaves for his Navy training, how long does it take for Russell to get homesick?
(a) A month.
(b) Three days.
(c) Twelve hours.
(d) Two weeks.
13. What vices does Aunt Sister have?
(a) She drinks, dances, and drives too fast.
(b) She gambles, throws fits, and fights with strangers.
(c) She steals, lies, and cheats.
(d) She smokes, chews gum, and swears.
14. What girl does Russell idolize on his paper route?
15. What is installed in the house for Herb's job?
(a) A dishwasher.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A garage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Harold purchase for Doris after the meeting?
2. To what activity does everyone compare piloting a plane?
3. What worries Russell about working in the grocery or on the railroad?
4. Of what religious persuasion is the matron at the orphanage?
5. What step to adulthood is Russell embarrassed that he has not taken?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)