|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Russell sometimes walk past in the downstairs parlor?
(a) The library.
(b) The landlord's dog.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) The basement door.
2. What kind of food is the family taking home?
(a) Leftover food from restaurants.
(b) USDA beef and chicken.
(c) Government issued assistance food.
(d) All organic, all natural fruits and vegetables.
3. After his hangover subsides, how does Russell feel?
(b) Completely calm.
(d) Seriously ill.
4. After he leaves for his Navy training, how long does it take for Russell to get homesick?
(a) Twelve hours.
(b) Three days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
5. What does Russell plan to do when he sees the present on Christmas?
(a) He plans to burst into tears.
(b) He plans to give it to Doris.
(c) He plans to admit he found it already.
(d) He plans to feign surprise.
6. How does Lucy mark Russell's transition into adolescence?
(a) She throws a dinner party.
(b) She makes a large mark on the height chart.
(c) She purchases long pants for him.
(d) She buys him a cap.
7. What worries Russell as he nears high school graduation?
(a) He cannot afford college and is unfit for a regular job.
(b) He is worried about current events around the world.
(c) He is worried about Doris's impending marriage.
(d) He is worried about his mother's declining health.
8. On what expensive treat does Russell blow his budget for the trip after hearing Mimi's story?
(a) Dinner at the Chicken Hut and a movie.
(b) A six-course meal at the Townhouse.
(c) A delicate chocolate tart at a famous bakery.
(d) A ferry ride across the harbor.
9. How does the family hide their shame from the neighborhood?
(a) They take a car ride home instead of walking.
(b) Russell and Lucy place their coats over the food.
(c) They collect the food in the dead of night.
(d) Russell and Lucy send Doris ahead as a distraction.
10. On his first physical, the doctor suggests that Russell come back in three days and stop eating what?
(a) Green Beans.
(c) Snap peas.
11. What was the black street in Russell's neighborhood?
(a) Crescent Street.
(b) Lemmon Street.
(c) Lombard Street.
(d) Peachtree Street.
12. In what areas is Russell's knowledge extremely limited?
(a) Culture and politics.
(b) Composition and writing.
(c) Baseball and tennis.
(d) Latin and grammar.
13. Whom does Lucy begin to date in 1939?
(a) Benjamin Baker.
(b) Mr. Simmons.
(d) Herb Orrison.
14. What job in the store will Mr. Simmons not allow Russell to do?
(a) He is not allowed to work the cash register.
(b) He is not allowed to take inventory.
(c) He is not allowed to do manual labor.
(d) He is not allowed to wash the windows.
15. After running away from the orphanage, where did Mimi find work?
(a) Waffle House.
(b) Egg Harbor.
(d) The Pancake Palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about Russell and Lucy's letters to one another?
2. At what time of year were the orphanages shuttled from party to party, expected to be grateful?
3. Where does Russell invite Mimi, only to give her hours of walking tour history lessons?
4. What does Lucy say upon Russell's acceptance to college?
5. What high school group rejects Russell, despite his good grades?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)