|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class in school does Russell hate the most?
(a) English class.
(b) Swimming class.
(c) History class.
(d) Latin class.
2. What does Herb do for a living?
(a) He works in the grocery business.
(b) He works as a traveling salesman.
(c) He works for the B&O Railroad.
(d) He is a professor.
3. How long has the family been in Baltimore when Lucy takes Russell and Doris with her to get food?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
4. How does Russell treat Lucy when he begins to surpass her education?
(a) His attitude becomes snobbish.
(b) He is embarrassed with her and does not want her to meet his friends.
(c) He refuses to talk to her until her Latin improves.
(d) He spends extra time to help her understand his studies.
5. Where does Harold tell Russell he was shot during World War I?
(a) Between his heart and lung.
(b) In the armpit.
(c) In the knee.
(d) Between the eyes.
6. What friend encourages Russell to try college?
(a) Mr. Simmons.
(b) George Stillman.
(c) Charlie Sussman.
7. What step to adulthood is Russell embarrassed that he has not taken?
(a) He is unable to build muscles.
(b) He has not lost his virginity.
(c) He dislikes whiskey.
(d) He stil cannot grow a beard.
8. To what activity does everyone compare piloting a plane?
(a) Running a marathon.
(b) Building a roof.
(c) Steering a tractor.
(d) Driving a car.
9. One morning during his paper route, what terrifying story does Russell read?
(a) He reads that the price of milk is going up.
(b) He reads about the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
(c) He reads about a house fire that has burned all night.
(d) He reads about a dismembered body found in the sewer.
10. What orphanage was Mimi raised in?
(a) St. Mary's of the Apostle.
(b) Children's Home.
(c) Sheltering Arms.
(d) Sarah Agnes Home.
11. How long does it take for Joe Louis to defeat Max Schmeling?
(a) Thirty seconds.
(b) Three hours, ten minutes, thirteen seconds.
(c) Two minutes and nine seconds.
(d) Ten minutes and twenty seconds.
12. At what time of year were the orphanages shuttled from party to party, expected to be grateful?
(c) July 4th.
13. Whom does Lucy begin to date in 1939?
(a) Mr. Simmons.
(c) Herb Orrison.
(d) Benjamin Baker.
14. How does Russell learn to swim?
(a) He jumps into the fifteen-foot deep pool.
(b) He never learns to swim.
(c) He and his instructor swim out together.
(d) He starts in the shallows with instructors.
15. What worries Russell about working in the grocery or on the railroad?
(a) He worries he would not be good at either job.
(b) He worries he would not be paid enough.
(c) He worries he would not have time for fun.
(d) He worries he would not be able to find a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Russell to sell his extra papers with the invasion headline?
2. What, theoretically, will Russell's advanced courses in high school allow him to do?
3. After his hangover subsides, how does Russell feel?
4. What branch of the military does Russell apply for?
5. What color is Russell's new suit?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)