|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lucy's model of male excellence?
(a) Papa, her father.
(b) Russell, her son.
(c) Allen, her brother.
(d) Benjamin, her husband.
2. What picture has the landlady hung on her door?
(a) A picture of Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) A picture of Cary Grant.
(c) A picture of Queen Victoria.
(d) A picture of Herbert Hoover.
3. Who takes Russell to see Benjamin when his body is brought home?
(a) Annie Grigsby.
(b) Uncle Irvey.
(c) Lucy Elizabeth.
(d) Ida Rebecca.
4. What, according to the author, was the great Depression pastime?
5. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
(a) She becomes a millionaire.
(b) She has her last bad fall.
(c) She moves from New Jersey to California.
(d) She gets her thirtieth grandchild.
6. What two types of people does Russell feel are forever disconnected?
(a) First wives and second wives.
(b) Cousins and second cousins.
(c) Sisters and brothers.
(d) Parents and children.
7. What two women in Russell's early life were involved in a hateful feud?
(a) Ida Rebecca and Annie.
(b) Audrey and Ida Rebecca.
(c) Lucy and Doris.
(d) Lucy and Ida Rebecca.
8. How did Lucy Elizabeth punish Russell?
(a) She locked him in his room.
(b) She whipped him with a belt.
(c) She took away his money.
(d) She sent him to bed with no supper.
9. To whom did Lucy Elizabeth give up Audrey?
(a) Uncle Miller and Aunt Eustace.
(b) Uncle Irvey.
(c) Ida Rebecca.
(d) Uncle Tom and Aunt Goldie.
10. Why do Oluf and Lucy Elizabeth stop their correspondence?
(a) Oluf is in despair and cannot support himself or her family.
(b) Lucy Elizabeth does not love him anymore.
(c) Lucy Elizabeth finds someone else to court in Newark.
(d) Oluf has no more money for stamps.
11. How does Lucy meet Benjamin, Russell's father?
(a) His son is one of Lucy's students.
(b) His Model-T breaks down in front of the schoolhouse.
(c) They meet at a church social.
(d) Lucy's Papa introduces them.
12. As part of Morrisonville's ritual for death, what do the women do at Russell's house?
(a) They rearrange all the furniture.
(b) They clean it from top to bottom.
(c) They whitewash the outside.
(d) They take inventory of everything the family owns.
13. From what ailment does Russell's father suffer?
14. During her tenure at Arlington School in Loundoun County, what illegal operation is nearby?
(a) Sam Reever's bootleg whiskey operation.
(b) Babyface Nelson's secret meeting place.
(c) A militia's arms room.
(d) A money laundering ring.
15. Why did Lucy Elizabeth feel jealous of Aunt Goldie?
(a) Aunt Goldie convinced Uncle Tom to stop drinking.
(b) Lucy Elizabeth was in love with Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Goldie was the most beautiful woman in five counties.
(d) Aunt Goldie had an indoor bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to legend, willed the family their fortune?
2. What tipped Lucy Elizabeth's decision to leave Audrey?
3. Who was the person with whom Lucy Elizabeth corresponded in Newark?
4. According to everyone in town, where was Annie Grigsby born?
5. In his first job, for what company does Russell work?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)