|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what ailment does Russell's father suffer?
2. How did Lucy Elizabeth punish Russell?
(a) She locked him in his room.
(b) She whipped him with a belt.
(c) She took away his money.
(d) She sent him to bed with no supper.
3. What does Lucy do with the present?
(a) She throws it out the back door.
(b) She helps Doris set it up.
(c) She throws it in the garbage.
(d) She forces Benjamin to take it back.
4. According to Uncle Irvey, "A man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is ____?" (p. 55)
(a) Always fun.
(b) Never done.
(c) Hard to run.
(d) A ton.
5. What skill does Lucy Elizabeth surprise Russell with just before leaving for Baltimore?
(a) The ability to do a cartwheel.
(b) The ability to play piano.
(c) The ability to throw a baseball.
(d) The ability to dance ballet.
6. How many children did Ida Rebecca have?
(a) Fifteen, ten boys and five girls.
(b) Five, three girls and two boys.
(c) Ten, five boys and five girls.
(d) Thirteen, twelve boys and one girl.
7. What did Cousin Edwin do for a living?
(a) He was an extra for film sets.
(b) He was a banker.
(c) He was the foreman in a gun factory.
(d) He was the managing editor of the New York Times.
8. In the shock following his father's death, what does Russell confess he became?
(a) A skeptic, never fully trusting God again.
(b) A paperboy, keeping himself busy.
(c) A trouble maker, breaking windows and stealing.
(d) A zealot, pouring himself into religion as a retreat.
9. What is Russell's earliest memory?
(a) A cow poking its head into his crib.
(b) The yellow house across from his grandmother's house.
(c) His mother rocking him to sleep.
(d) Eleven's bulging biceps.
10. Who is Russell's Irish bully?
11. What is the only area of education that Lucy Elizabeth does not teach Russell?
(c) Sex education.
12. What picture has the landlady hung on her door?
(a) A picture of Queen Victoria.
(b) A picture of Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) A picture of Cary Grant.
(d) A picture of Herbert Hoover.
13. According to everyone in town, where was Annie Grigsby born?
(a) In London.
(b) In Milwaukee.
(c) In slavery.
(d) In indentured servitude.
14. What was Benjamin's major flaw, according to Lucy?
(a) He was a spendthrift.
(b) He had horrible table manners.
(c) He was a terrible driver.
(d) He would not give up whiskey.
15. How longs does Lucy Elizabeth intend to live with Uncle Allen?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few years.
(d) A few months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two women in Russell's early life were involved in a hateful feud?
2. What two types of people does Russell feel are forever disconnected?
3. What business did Uncle Etch run?
4. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
5. When Uncle Hal arrives, what does he have in tow?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)