|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Russell's Irish bully?
2. To what ailment does Russell's mother succumb?
(a) Cancer of the lungs and blood.
(c) Hopeless senility, or hardening of the arteries.
3. When does Russell's mother decide he should be a writer?
(a) When he was sixteen and writing for a paper.
(b) After an A paper he wrote in the seventh grade.
(c) When he was five years old and loved to read.
(d) Shortly after his birth.
4. Where does Lucy Elizabeth take the family when they leave Morrisonville?
(d) Jersey City.
5. While his bully was Irish, Russell's friends were ______.
6. Who allays Russell's fear of the talk about birds and bees?
(a) Uncle Jack.
(b) Aunt Pat.
(c) Uncle Hal.
(d) Uncle Jesse.
7. Why do Oluf and Lucy Elizabeth stop their correspondence?
(a) Lucy Elizabeth does not love him anymore.
(b) Oluf has no more money for stamps.
(c) Lucy Elizabeth finds someone else to court in Newark.
(d) Oluf is in despair and cannot support himself or her family.
8. How and when did Papa die?
(a) He died in 1929 after the stock market crash at the age of 65.
(b) He died in 1917 of a heart attack at the age of 53.
(c) He died in 1918 of the flu at the age of 54.
(d) He died in 1910 in a carriage accident at the age of 47.
9. What business did Uncle Etch run?
(a) He ran a convenience store.
(b) He ran a bootleg operation.
(c) He ran an ice cream shop.
(d) He ran a funeral parlor.
10. Why doesn't Uncle Charlie leave the house?
(a) He has a bet with a neighbor.
(b) He has too much work to do.
(c) He looks like Moe Simon.
(d) He loves his family too much.
11. What is Uncle Hal's nickname?
12. What did Cousin Edwin do for a living?
(a) He was an extra for film sets.
(b) He was a banker.
(c) He was the foreman in a gun factory.
(d) He was the managing editor of the New York Times.
13. According to everyone in town, where was Annie Grigsby born?
(a) In London.
(b) In indentured servitude.
(c) In slavery.
(d) In Milwaukee.
14. Who was buried in the expensive glass coffin?
(a) Uncle Irvey.
(b) Ida Rebecca.
(c) Lucy Elizabeth.
(d) Sam Reever.
15. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
(a) She moves from New Jersey to California.
(b) She gets her thirtieth grandchild.
(c) She has her last bad fall.
(d) She becomes a millionaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives in Baltimore that Lucy Elizabeth is excited to be near?
2. What is Russell's first Christmas gift?
3. The streetwise girl lured Russell into her basement with promises of what?
4. What picture has the landlady hung on her door?
5. What is Uncle Charlie's favorite book?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)