|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two types of people does Russell feel are forever disconnected?
(a) First wives and second wives.
(b) Cousins and second cousins.
(c) Sisters and brothers.
(d) Parents and children.
2. Which long-lost uncle begins to send Lucy Elizabeth support money?
(a) Uncle Edgar in Indianapolis.
(b) Uncle Willie in San Francisco.
(c) Uncle Sam in Washington.
(d) Uncle Bob in Freeport.
3. What small present has Benjamin bought for Doris?
(a) A miniature doll.
(b) A tiny set of dishes.
(c) A small mirror.
(d) A book.
4. What picture has the landlady hung on her door?
(a) A picture of Cary Grant.
(b) A picture of Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) A picture of Queen Victoria.
(d) A picture of Herbert Hoover.
5. As part of Morrisonville's ritual for death, what do the women do at Russell's house?
(a) They take inventory of everything the family owns.
(b) They clean it from top to bottom.
(c) They whitewash the outside.
(d) They rearrange all the furniture.
6. When does Russell's mother decide he should be a writer?
(a) When he was sixteen and writing for a paper.
(b) After an A paper he wrote in the seventh grade.
(c) Shortly after his birth.
(d) When he was five years old and loved to read.
7. To whom did Lucy Elizabeth give up Audrey?
(a) Uncle Tom and Aunt Goldie.
(b) Uncle Miller and Aunt Eustace.
(c) Ida Rebecca.
(d) Uncle Irvey.
8. Where does Lucy Elizabeth take the family when they leave Morrisonville?
(a) Jersey City.
9. What is Uncle Hal's nickname?
10. In the shock following his father's death, what does Russell confess he became?
(a) A trouble maker, breaking windows and stealing.
(b) A zealot, pouring himself into religion as a retreat.
(c) A skeptic, never fully trusting God again.
(d) A paperboy, keeping himself busy.
11. Why did Lucy Elizabeth feel jealous of Aunt Goldie?
(a) Lucy Elizabeth was in love with Uncle Tom.
(b) Aunt Goldie was the most beautiful woman in five counties.
(c) Aunt Goldie had an indoor bathroom.
(d) Aunt Goldie convinced Uncle Tom to stop drinking.
12. What, according to the author, was the great Depression pastime?
13. How longs does Lucy Elizabeth intend to live with Uncle Allen?
(a) A few years.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few months.
14. For what endeavor does Hal attempt to get financial support from Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) His laundry scheme.
(b) His lumber company.
(c) His law practice.
(d) His medical license.
15. What is Uncle Charlie's favorite book?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) The Declaration of Independence.
(c) Atlas Shrugged.
(d) The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what ailment does Russell's mother succumb?
2. Who takes Russell to see Benjamin when his body is brought home?
3. What happens to Russell while trying to play on his first day in Newark?
4. In seventh grade, what farm produce does Russell write about?
5. How did Lucy Elizabeth punish Russell?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)