|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Lucy and Benjamin in a hurry to get married?
(a) They could not wait to live together.
(b) Lucy had become pregnant.
(c) They had to do it secretly.
(d) Benjamin was about to be deported.
2. What superstitions does Ida Rebecca believe, but Lucy Elizabeth does not?
(a) She believes in vampires and garlic.
(b) She believes in throwing salt over one shoulder.
(c) She believes in fairies and magic.
(d) She believes in ghosts and omens.
3. When Uncle Hal arrives, what does he have in tow?
(a) An old Model-T.
(b) Three boards.
(c) Three dogs.
(d) A sheet of aluminum.
4. What is Russell's earliest memory?
(a) The yellow house across from his grandmother's house.
(b) His mother rocking him to sleep.
(c) Eleven's bulging biceps.
(d) A cow poking its head into his crib.
5. Where does Lucy Elizabeth finally find work?
(a) At a laundry for the A&P.
(b) At a factory.
(c) At a schoolhouse.
(d) At a government run soup kitchen.
6. What, according to the author, was the great Depression pastime?
7. What does Lucy do after the death of Papa to make ends meet?
(a) Lucy opens a tavern.
(b) Lucy becomes a schoolteacher.
(c) Lucy works in a knitting factory.
(d) Lucy sells the ancestral family home.
8. What did Russell's mother insist he would do?
(a) Marry an heiress.
(b) Get a job as a salesman.
(c) Live in New York City.
(d) Make something of himself.
9. What medicine does Aunt Pat insist on giving to Russell and Doris?
(a) Cod liver oil.
(b) Calcium carbonate.
(c) Essence of basil.
10. What year did Ida Rebecca die?
11. What picture has the landlady hung on her door?
(a) A picture of Franklin Roosevelt.
(b) A picture of Queen Victoria.
(c) A picture of Cary Grant.
(d) A picture of Herbert Hoover.
12. Who was buried in the expensive glass coffin?
(a) Sam Reever.
(b) Uncle Irvey.
(c) Ida Rebecca.
(d) Lucy Elizabeth.
13. Why do Oluf and Lucy Elizabeth stop their correspondence?
(a) Oluf has no more money for stamps.
(b) Oluf is in despair and cannot support himself or her family.
(c) Lucy Elizabeth finds someone else to court in Newark.
(d) Lucy Elizabeth does not love him anymore.
14. According to Uncle Irvey, "A man works from sun to sun, but woman's work is ____?" (p. 55)
(a) A ton.
(b) Always fun.
(c) Never done.
(d) Hard to run.
15. Who is Lucy's model of male excellence?
(a) Russell, her son.
(b) Papa, her father.
(c) Benjamin, her husband.
(d) Allen, her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Newark, where does the family move?
2. What specter does Ida Rebecca see in her doorway one night?
3. To what brotherhood did Grandfather George belong?
4. Why did Lucy Elizabeth feel jealous of Aunt Goldie?
5. In seventh grade, what farm produce does Russell write about?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)