Chapters 1 and 2
1. What happens to Russell's mother at the age of eighty?
(a) She has her last bad fall.
(b) She becomes a millionaire.
(c) She moves from New Jersey to California.
(d) She gets her thirtieth grandchild.
2. To what ailment does Russell's mother succumb?
(a) Cancer of the lungs and blood.
(b) Hopeless senility, or hardening of the arteries.
3. What two types of people does Russell feel are forever disconnected?
(a) Parents and children.
(b) Cousins and second cousins.
(c) First wives and second wives.
(d) Sisters and brothers.
4. What did Russell's mother insist he would do?
(a) Make something of himself.
(b) Get a job as a salesman.
(c) Live in New York City.
(d) Marry an heiress.
5. What does Russell's mother think is a major character flaw of his?
(a) He has too much curiosity.
(b) He does not easily make friends.
(c) He cannot read or write.
(d) He has no gumption.
6. How much younger than Russell is Doris?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
This section contains 4,686 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)