Chapters 1 and 2
* Russell's mother is in the hospital after taking a bad fall.
* Lucy is senile and lives in her memories.
* Though at first he tries to argue his mother back into reality, he realizes she is happy living in her memories.
* Russell regrets that parents and children have little opportunity to understand each other.
* Lucy decides Russell will make something of himself when he is eight years old.
* Russell begins working for the Curtis Publishing Company.
* The family lives with Allen, a traveling soft-drink salesman.
* Russell is a poor salesman but decides to become a writer.
* Lucy is conflicted between feminist ideals and the desire to be treated like a lady.
* Papa is Lucy's epitome of a gentleman.
* When Papa dies, she drops out of college and takes teaching jobs.
* Lucy meets Benny while teaching in Loudon County.
* There is a bootleg whiskey operation near the...
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)