Chapters 1 and 2
• Russell's mother is in the hospital after taking a bad fall.
• Lucy is senile and lives in her memories.
• Though at first he tries to argue his mother back into reality, he realizes she is happy living in her memories.
• Russell regrets that parents and children have little opportunity to understand each other.
• Lucy decides Russell will make something of himself when he is eight years old.
• Russell begins working for the Curtis Publishing Company.
• The family lives with Allen, a traveling soft-drink salesman.
• Russell is a poor salesman but decides to become a writer.
• Lucy is conflicted between feminist ideals and the desire to be treated like a lady.
• Papa is Lucy's epitome of a gentleman.
• When Papa dies, she drops out of college and takes teaching jobs.
• Lucy meets Benny while teaching in Loudon County.
• There is a bootleg whiskey operation...
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)